1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Which double flaring tool to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which double flaring tool to buy?

What brand double flaring tool works well for you gents? I have to work on my brake lines (steel tubing) and I'd like to do it myself. I've worked with tubing before but never brake lines and never made double flares. You tend to get what you pay for with tools but I'm curious as to what the groups opinion is on brands. Is there one out there to avoid or is one definitely superior to another? I've found the median price to be between 30 to 50 bucks (unless you spend big money on a Rigid and I can't justify that) so I'd like to know what you gents recommend. Thanks in advance!

Leaks

Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
LEAKS,

I've got an Imperial that does a good job... I found that the cheaper units don't have the grip that is needed to keep the tubing from slipping in the vice. I'd stay away from Harbor Freight and some of the import units..

Rigid makes some good ones also and if you buy one, you'll never buy another

look at my article and it might offer a couple of tips you hadn't thought of...

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...iscbrakes.html

I'd also recommend a GOOD bender... with a mandrel head that prevents flattening and crimping the tubing... the open kind just don't do it for me and I could never get a nice tight radius..... the one in the article has a clamp that holds the tubing parallel to the handle then forms the tube around the die... very easy to use, even for a rookie like me... it's worth it's cost in ruined tubing... ask me how I know

hope it helps

john

Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
flaring tool

I use an Imperial Eastman. Works real well

Old 07-15-2004, 07:00 AM
mikew
Senior User
I just bought the brand that the local NAPA store. Good quality and I can get replacement "dies" that I couldn't with the cheaper ones.

Mike

Old 07-15-2004, 07:19 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to look on Ebay. There are Imperial, Mac, and Blue Point (snap-on) brands listed at this time. I have purchased several different size Imperial tubing benders off Ebay and have gotten them for less than half of new. You can't beat a good tool for ease of use and good results.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Thumbs up Thanks much!

Thanks for the quick feedback gents! I'll put it to good use on my 51. What started out as a simple brake job has slowly become more major in scope. Hmmm...lots of stuff on these old trucks that seems to work that way! Anyway I've got some new tubing to install (old stuff just too scary to use) and I'll go forth better armed to get the right tools! Thanks!

Leaks