1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

good bumper alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:02 PM
b1gr3d
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good bumper alternative

i have been trying to find some nice subtle(but still cool) bumper alternatives for my 55..i THINK i saw a picture of one that was flat black with a chrome 59 bumper on it. GIMME SOME IDEAS

Old 07-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I share your desire for a "cool " replacement bumber for our trucks. Kai73 had a 59 F100 front on a no longer owned 53, which to me looks like the best fit. However, they are hard to find and not being reproduced, as far as I can tell. I did find one supplier that sells them on an exchange basis, but by the time you buy a used one, pay shipping and buy the excanged one ???? They[Kai73] currently have a panel with a 55/59 c---y bumber on it, however the fit is a little iffy. I know first hand it is because I tried one on my 53. It is a poor fit , to my eyes. With some work you could modify one to fit, then rechrome it. So far, the most promising look for me is to modify[slightly] a 1979 to 84 D---e full size van rear bumber to fit the front of our trucks. I have one and feel that I could make it fit pretty easily, and still plan to. In the interest of getting mine proteceted, I ordered new Dennis Carpenter repro 53-56, then planned to make the change later. Now I am 4 months down the road with no bumpers. I am about to resume modifing the van bumper, I guess. If you look at Kai73's gallery there are pics. If you find something else, please share it.