1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help on engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help on engine problem

My 56 Effie has a warmed up 351 Cleveland in it. The engine has about 8000 miles on it since a complete rebuild. Lately, it has been running rough when cold (sounds like it's running on 7 cylinders) until it warms up. Then it smooths out, but isn't as crisp as it was. It also has a "ticking" sound (like solid tappets that need adjusting) when cold. That sound also goes away when warm.
Stats: Engine has a 2V heads with headers, Edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb. Comp Cam 268H with Comp Cam lifters and springs - all stock motor after that. Compression tests good and within 5% on all cylinders (9:1). Getting fire to all cylinders. Carb and electric choke OK.
My thought is that I may have either a sticking/collapsed lifter (they are hydraulic) or a bent pushrod. I have some "Rislone" stuff that promises to loosen up sticky lifters, but before I try that, I wanted more input.
Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Earlier this year, my 289 started ticking on start up. My buddy is an old Ford mechanic, so he suggested adding a qt of ATF to the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Then change the oil. I did it and it worked. So the additive you are talking about may do the trick. Also, are you running points or electronic ignition? I always suspect points when the performance dwindles. Good luck, John

Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John - I am running a Mallory Magnetic Pulse (electronic) distributor. I am getting good spark to all cylinders. Since the (light) tapping sound goes away, my thought was that it must be a lifter. A bent pushrod sound wouldn't change with engine temp. Would you agree?

Old 07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
mikew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree that it sounds like a lifter. I had the same type of problem when I installed a new edelbrock cam & lifters in my 351W. I finally tracked it down to a defective lifter. Replaced it and the tick went away.

Mike

Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always do the easiest (least expensive) things first. I cannot think of anyone I have ever known that actually had a bent push rod. So, that would be way down on my list of things to check. I'm betting dirty lifter. Good luck, John