1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford 302 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:52 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford 302 water pump

I was thinking about replacing the water pump on my 56 truck since it looked pretty rusty and old and probably ready to leak any day. Thinking that a 302 is the same as a 289 in my 66 Mustang, I noticed that the water pumps are different. The inlet on the truck is on the drivers side. The Mustang is on the passenger side (The lower hose connection). I also looked up some water pumps and found that some have reverse flow? and some regular flow? What is the difference and what year did Ford make the water pumps inlet on the drivers side vs. passenger side (right or left side) Any clarification would help and what is the best pump to use in my situation.

Last edited by imlowr2; 07-03-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:42 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I've been down this road. You need a pump that works with your brackets and dumps the lower hose on the correct side to match your radiator. You also have to be mindful that you don't throw off the pulley alignment by half a belt width in the process. There must be at least a dozen or more pumps out there. Go to a good parts store and look at their "buyers guide"

Your best bet is to get a pump from a model year as close to your engine as possible. In most cases you can't use a WP 10 years different than your engine. I tried. Avoid bracket modifications if you can. This is what turned me off on Fords for 2 decades. The number of changes for the smallblock Ford is insane. This is why Chevy won the rodder popularity war.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:43 AM
truckbuff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rotation of the pumps is based on the belt drive & acessories. The old style v-belt pullies use standard rotation ant the newer serpentine belt & pullies use the reverse rotation. The lower hose location varies all over from year, car/truck application, etc. , but you only have the 2 choices, driver side or passenger side. A good parts supplier can patch the engine, the belt type & then match your hose outlet location.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:19 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, as many years working with Fords, I never realized this? I noticed that the water pump also has a Ford serial # on the casting. I'll have to look it up and see what it comes from. The radiator outlet is on that side. (It's not the original radiator, either.). As for brackets the only bracket I'm running is the typical alternator "v" shaped bracket and the lower bracket. However, the lower bracket looks a little stranger that the normal ones I've seen. It has a small "L" shape to it. I've purchased all new chrome brackets for it, hopefully they will the fit. Thanks, Everyone have a great 4th of July, God Bless America!.