General Automotive Discussion

Just Sold Vehicle; How Does The New Owner Transport It Legally Out-Of-State?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Sold Vehicle; How Does The New Owner Transport It Legally Out-Of-State?

I just sold a truck for a buddy of mine the other day and the buyer is coming from West Virginia to get it. The buyer said that he talked with the West Virignia DMV and they told him that he would need a Notarized Bill Of Sale before he could get tags for it. We don't really have time for that, since he's coming Thursday night to get the truck.

I told him that if I were in his shoes though, I would call my insurance provider, at the very least, and have them put some kind of coverage on the truck. That way, he would be legal on the insurance at least. He is going to leave here with a clear Tennessee title and a signed Bill Of Sale. Is that enough to make him legal on his journey back to WV?

He's kinda worried about it, which I can understand. What organization(s) can I call to get info on this sort of thing? I'm at a loss at the moment.

Thanks for your help .

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 06-29-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 AM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if he's going to tow it , then a bill of sale will be okay, but if he's driving it, then temp tags and ins. will be needed.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM
94van
Posting Guru
Usually a signed title will do the job. Some states require the title to be notarized at signing. Here in MD, we just fill in the buyer's name and selling price, sign the title and away they go.

If he's going to drive it, he needs a temp tag issued by his state and proof of insurance.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
why not find a notary public thats open late like alot of places who are notarys are open late....make up a bill of sale like i did that leaves you air tight against people comming back to you on it. i'd be happy to draw one up for you if you'd like let me know. The last one i drew up my g/f's attorney found to be professional and airtight in our favor.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:51 AM
guy g
Freshman User
I'd go the extra and get it notorized. also send a release of liability IMMEDIATLY on what ever form your state uses. If not and he wrecks into some one even if he's not at fault, you'll be involved in the mess.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info everyone. He told me that WV wouldn't issue any kind of tags on it unless it had a Notarized Bill Of Sale. Do I need to contact a Notary Public on this? I looked them up in the yellow pages . Anyway, I am going to write up a Bill Of Sale that holds nothing on me. The truck is sold as-is and I've told him that many times. After the funds are transferred, it's his baby.

james's f_1_fiddy01, if you would like, you can write up a Bill Of Sale for me. You can e-mail it to me through my FTE Profile. I would appreciate that brother .

How do I go about getting a Notary Public to notarize a Bill Of Sale?

Thanks agian fellas. Ya'll are the best .

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 06-29-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Look up a Notary Public in the yellow pages.....

The Notary should be able to issue the WV guy a temporary, non-resident Tenn. tag (usually good for 20-90 days). They should be familiar with this.

When I bought my first new car (in Del), I lived in MD and had a 60 or 90 day Delaware temp tag.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info jade97. I'll give them a call here in the next few minutes .

Nightrain

Old 06-29-2004, 11:20 AM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
the thing looks alot better in ms word i will e-mail that to you in MS word if you want it...hey couldnt hurt right?

Bill of sale:

I ___________________ accept delivery on this vehicle one___________________ with the Vehicle Identification Number ____________________________________ as displayed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. I agree to pay the amount of $___________ in exchange for the vehicle identified here by its own Vehicle Identification Number as listed above. Provided by one ________________________ this ____ day of ________ 20__. The vehicle identified by the Vehicle Identification Number listed above has been inspected by myself, and or my mechanic and I / we agree that it is to my satisfaction and is in an acceptable condition. The vehicle is now the responsibility of the new owner one ______________________, any problems or violations civil or criminal are now the responsibility of _______________________. I agree to hold harmless the seller one ______________________ of any liability for any misconduct or damage done with, to, or in the purchased vehicle as identified by the Vehicle Identification Number listed above. I willingly take possession of the vehicle identified by the Vehicle Identification Number listed above this ___ day of _______ 20__ and I know that this vehicle has NO insurance, nor does it bear a state registration as of this ___ day of _______ 20__.

Signature Seller: _________________________________ Date_________________

Signature Buyer: _________________________________ Date_________________

Signature Witness: _______________________________ Date_________________

Signature Witness: _______________________________ Date_________________

Old 06-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Tuvanhillbilly
Tuned
It doesn't apply in this case (but you may want to check with WV DMV to see if they have a similar program), but if you ever have to bring a vehicle out of state into Virginia, you can get a trip permit for $5 which is good for a few days. All you need is the VIN, description, and the "to" and "from" cities. You can pay online with a check or credit card, and the permit pops on the screen and you print it on your own printer. You can then put it in your back window and it allows you three days from the day of the sale to get tags and registration. All you need is the title and bill of sale in the truck with you at all times. The website is:
https://www.dmv.state.va.us/dmvnet/t...rmit/intro.asp

Old 06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can find notary's at banks, some insurance agents, courthouse, official places like that. Getting them to sign is no problem, they don't really need to know anything about it, all they are about is verifying you are who you claim to be.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:33 PM
blu
Elder User
Call you local town hall they probably have a staff member with a stamp or can point you in the right direction.
The department of motor vehicles in each state probably has downloadable bill of sale forms etc as well as whats required to register an out of state vehicle.
Out of state cars being registered in this state require a vin inspection and I think they check for presence of an exhaust system.
If the fella crashes the truck you could end up liable if he ends up not being not properly insured -- maybe hold off a day or two on cancelling the vehicles insurance.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Too late on the insurance... It's already been cancelled. He's supposed to be getting insurance before he leaves WV.

I just remembered that I have an aunt who is a notary. That will work better for me since I can talk to her personally. That is, as long as she's not on vacation or something. I'll give her a call here in a bit and see if she's around.

As far as I'm concerned, once he leaves my driveway with it, the truck is his responsibility. Everything will be shown to be transferred into his name, so it'll be his responsibility if he's pulled over, gets involved in an accident, etc. etc.

I really wish he'd haul this thing back... This is alot of trouble .

Thanks again ya'll .

Nightrain

Old 06-29-2004, 06:54 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
just be sure to make a copy of the title after he signs it.....cover your 6.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Alrighty... I'll do that also.

Also, if I say that the vehicle is sold "as-is", that means that I'm off the hook after he leaves with it, correct? I mean, as far as the condition and whatever goes, right?

Sorry about all of this... I'm new to this legal stuff .

Thanks again.

Nightrain

Quick Reply: Just Sold Vehicle; How Does The New Owner Transport It Legally Out-Of-State?