1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:40 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashman

You know I did

Chuck

Old 07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Master Chuck;

Ehhh, Role Again.

You accused me of Two, count them 2 different errors, of which You, sir, are in total error in the First one.
I Never Listed Any Links To Any Web Sites. Period, End Subject.
Old Blue 56 Listed them in his original post & they came out in my post in "The Grey Section" as part of O.B.56 reply, because I clicked on the "Quote" button in order to respond. While "my" reply is in White w/ out ANY links anywhere in it.
Get It, Got It, Good! (The Court Jester; Danny Kaye) c];-)

My mistake was the Fact that the '56 P/S info was in the Suppliment Shop Manual & not in the basic one.

Thank'ee for your input.
Colonel Flashman
Red '58 Mercury M-100 w/ 223 I-6 & Merc-O-Matic

Originally Posted by merc546
Flashman

You know I did

Chuck

Old 07-02-2004, 07:03 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Flash

Well let's see now that seems to be twice. Hope you feel better now.

Chuck

Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now boys, lets play nice. John

Old 07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you, John. Ditto.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:49 PM
wosborn
Senior User
The Toyota conversion is preferred because of the ease of installation and similarity to original manual steering box. Various shops sell a bolt-on mounting bracket. The Toyota box is about the same size (maybe a little smaller?) and uses the same geometry as the original steering. The Argue-Glide steering shouted about above is awkward, with too many parts. Great for an original restoration, but there is a good reason the automakers did away with that design.....

Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Thumbs down

Actually my experience has been just the oposit,
Bob's F-100 shortened the Steering Column in order to add the T&*#@!a Knuckle for the P/S which means it's larger, which when in place made it impossible to remount the Rubber Bumper that keeps the front end from bottoming out on the left side now, the Original Horn no longer works because there is now no longer a place for the wiring to run down through the steering column because of the new P/S knuckle attached to it & so far all the after market & home made mounting brackets I've seen look like a bit of bad modern art.

How much easier can it be than bolting the original style P/S system into place w/o having to go through the above none sence.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman

Originally Posted by wosborn
The Toyota conversion is preferred because of the ease of installation and similarity to original manual steering box. Various shops sell a bolt-on mounting bracket. The Toyota box is about the same size (maybe a little smaller?) and uses the same geometry as the original steering. The Argue-Glide steering shouted about above is awkward, with too many parts. Great for an original restoration, but there is a good reason the automakers did away with that design.....

Last edited by Col Flashman; 07-22-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
wosborn
Senior User
Thumbs up old vs new

The first problem I solved easily, but could have done it easier. I fabricated my own bracket, which bolts to the top frame rail just below the firewall and to the bottom frame rail just over the axle bumper - it's a Z-shaped thing. I used the original bolt hole for the axle bumper, bolting on the bracket on the top side of the lower frame rail and the axle bumper on the bottom side. I countersunk the back side of the rubber bumper so that I could use one nut to bolt on the bracket, then put the rubber bumper over that nut, then another nut to hold the bumper on. Presto!

As for the horn, lose that old steering column. I bought a stainless steel Flaming River 28" unit, pricey but beautiful, topped with a Grant wheel. The horn wire will run with the rest of the wiring harness.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Thumbs up Master Guide Straight Bolt On vs. T*#&%a Adapt It To Fit sytem

wosborn

Well good on ya' mate for that fix it note, much appreciated & I'll give it try.
But, I wont be keeping the T&#*%a P/S system, it's not what I asked for, nor wanted in the first place.

Not Bleedin' likely that I'll be ditching the Original Style Steering Column.
I'm attempting to keep it as Stock looking as possible, I do have, if you remember, a '58 Mercury M-100 Truck, roughly only 3,800+ made & to give it a Rodder Steering Column is not going to happen.

I don't have to look under the hood every day at something I didn't ask for, which hopefully wont be their for to much longer, a none original Steering Column would be just to obvious & not the look I'm attempting to maintain.
I told Bob I wanted an N.O.S. system that was made for my truck & he put the T&#*%a one in instead.
Just another reason, on top of many, as to why I'll never deal w/ Bob's F-100's again.

I'm making inroads on an Original Master Guide P/S system that does Not require any sort of fabrication to install & I've a replacement 1958 Truck Steering Column, to take the place of the Butchered one, already sitting here to be put in when I close the deal on that original P/S system.

Cheers
Flashy
Red '58 Mercury M-100 Truck w/ 223 I-6 & Merc-O-Matic

Originally Posted by wosborn
The first problem I solved easily, but could have done it easier. I fabricated my own bracket, which bolts to the top frame rail just below the firewall and to the bottom frame rail just over the axle bumper - it's a Z-shaped thing. I used the original bolt hole for the axle bumper, bolting on the bracket on the top side of the lower frame rail and the axle bumper on the bottom side. I countersunk the back side of the rubber bumper so that I could use one nut to bolt on the bracket, then put the rubber bumper over that nut, then another nut to hold the bumper on. Presto!

As for the horn, lose that old steering column. I bought a stainless steel Flaming River 28" unit, pricey but beautiful, topped with a Grant wheel. The horn wire will run with the rest of the wiring harness.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 07-23-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:44 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Just thought I'd mention that I have the bolt on PS on my 55; the one which is sold at Sac Vintage or Mid 50s. I am going to do the Toyota upgrade (no logical reason, just want to). My stock old box is worn, but the PS works fine. I'll be able to part with the bolt on PS soon, incase anyone is interested. I know this isn't the parts forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it here, due to the subject.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Chippen
New User
How much are you lookin for in price.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:08 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Unhappy Starting with a bad attitude & a "Foreign Package"

Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Master Chuck;

Ehhh, Role Again.

You accused me of Two, count them 2 different errors, of which You, sir, are in total error in the First one.
I Never Listed Any Links To Any Web Sites. Period, End Subject.
Old Blue 56 Listed them in his original post & they came out in my post in "The Grey Section" as part of O.B.56 reply, because I clicked on the "Quote" button in order to respond. While "my" reply is in White w/ out ANY links anywhere in it.
Get It, Got It, Good! (The Court Jester; Danny Kaye) c];-)

My mistake was the Fact that the '56 P/S info was in the Suppliment Shop Manual & not in the basic one.

Thank'ee for your input.
Colonel Flashman
Red '58 Mercury M-100 w/ 223 I-6 & Merc-O-Matic
Col Flashman:
Why not go back to the top of this thread and read the question on power steering and your response to power "brakes"?

Did you not get any or just get out of the bed on lthe wrong side this life?

IMHO, It's fine & healthy for everyone and the forum to disagree, but your openning negative invective is unwelcome by me and not the norm of friendly good natured banter I've come to expect, respect and enjoy on this forum.

GW

PS, I don't want you giving those of us who love and drive Merc's a bad rep!

Old 07-25-2004, 11:28 AM
lockups
Senior User
When I Got my truck the previous owner had a power steering conversion (out of a 57 - 67 car) for it but never installed it. It looked quite odd and I wondered how it would ever fit into the truck. Last night I was reading some old truck mag's and found the conversion process that goes with his components. It's in the march 1993 issue of truckin. Im going with an ifs front end so my stock front end and these powere steering components are not needed. There isnt a lot of welding involved, but they must be good welds.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Francisco
New User
Question F100, 1956.

Hello my Friend:

First, sorry for my writing, but i am a chilean people.(Thanks for your understanding)
Second, i have a f100, 1956, and i would like to have a power steering in my truck, what power steering serves for the truck (model, year)?. I would apreciate if you can help me, because here, nobody can help me.
Thanks a lot.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Wink Iterpriting reponces as you would have given it.

Originally Posted by 53Merc
Col Flashman:
Why not go back to the top of this thread and read the question on power steering and your response to power "brakes"?

Did you not get any or just get out of the bed on lthe wrong side this life?

IMHO, It's fine & healthy for everyone and the forum to disagree, but your openning negative invective is unwelcome by me and not the norm of friendly good natured banter I've come to expect, respect and enjoy on this forum.

GW

PS, I don't want you giving those of us who love and drive Merc's a bad rep!

53 Merc

My statement refers to specific accusations by Master Chuck, sir, nothing else.

"If" you were to have read Everything you would have noticed that a few posts down an explination & correction is given about my swapping of P/B for P/S. But no, You couldn't be bothered, you had the bit in your teeth & just charged ahead blindly in your Self Appointed Crusade to chatise me of what you believe inappropriate posts.

Your second statement is not only Childish, Offensive & Inopropriate for you supposed good natured banter forum.

You also ignored my reference to Entertainer Danny Kay's Comedy "The Court Jester", which I took some of the quotes from that I used that you find such a negative invective.

And would you Please Quit putting how you would have meant it, if you would have written it, into what I wrote, that's the Only negative, Yours.

As I stated to you in the P.M., just put me on your Ignore List, that way you'll not be troubled anymore by my posts, but as I see from your latest You'd rather keep on w/ your Self Appointed Crusade.

And so far the Only one giving Mercury lovers & drivers a bad Rep is you.

Colonel Flashman
Red '58 M-100 Truck
Blue '58 M-100 Panel

Last edited by Col Flashman; 11-04-2004 at 03:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering