1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about the shipping cost. Wouldn't it be great if someone on the site was a trucker scheduled to be in Sacramento in the near future.

I don't have stock front springs to look at, so I was wondering if it would be possible to put the front monos on the rear. Does that make any sense? John

Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Townsell,

In theory it makes sense, in practice it's not really feasable.

I don't know what the length diference is between front and rear springs but I do know;

front springs = 1.75 inches wide with 0.625 " i.d. on the bushings

rear springs = 2.00 inches wide with 0.750 i.d. on the bushings.

2. load rating

front = 950 lbs.
rear = 1350 lbs.

The load rating differential is probably nothing to worry about at all, but #1 pretty screws you or at least forces you into cotty-bob measures to make it work.

Later,

Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Ok, I tried to remove leafs on my 56. Tore into the rear end suspension starting on one side first. Being that the truck is 48 years old. Every bolt was frozen as expected. Using an impact it came loose, but from prior removal etc. the U bolts threads were in really bad shape. It got to a point where I got really nervous about removing the pin and nut which hold the leafs together, not to mention the four clamps around the leafs which were in no way coming off easy. Bottom line, I put it back together. I think this job will be easier getting new leafs like monos, etc, which come with all brackets etc.. Lots of worn stuff under there. I did replace the shocks which were shot. Removing the leafs may appear easy, it's not! I've removed the leafs on my 98 F-150 which was easy. I don't know how difficult it is to remove the whole leaf from end to end on the 56, but taking leafs out was some job. I usually do all mechanical work myself, but I may opt to let a professional deal with this one. Sure would of been nice to take my truck with the rear level to the car show tomorrow. I'll look for other options I guess. Did a lot of work and not much to show for it. Chalk this one up as experience. Any suggestions would be great right now. It was great having two inches of grease and grime on my body! Thanks guys.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:50 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awww ya jus wussed out...lol.. jus kiddin....i figure a few new u bolts, and a few new ones of them rusted bolts that pull the leafs together n you will be good as new, just put the truck on stands, and jack the axle back up under it, dont bust a brake hose. use a sawzall or 4 in angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make quick work of the old u bolts, and the pin, and the bolts that go through the bracket to hold the leafs together. you can get all the stuff at the auto parts store or sacramento vintage or mid fifty. i used the old stuff, but i am a putz and cleaned up the old threads. i got the u bolts off with a 5 ft breaker bar on a ratchet.
you thought that was fun, try getting the old bushings out that hold the leafs, or grinding or torching the rivets for the old hanger brackets. you have to grind and drill, em. and remove your fender.. and... and.. lol...

Last edited by innecity4wheelin; 06-25-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:49 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
LOL.... OK, rub it in. Excuse me, this was suppose to be a piece a cake and shouldn't take more than an afternoon to complete, ya right! LOL.... I would of probably taken your advice, however I was planning on going to the big F-100 car show in Anaheim CA tomorrow. I could order all the parts like you said, but then the truck would be sitting on stands for a while. Maybe I just picked the wrong day to do this. I know one thing. Suspension work ain't my bag!!!! I did put my wire wheel to use and cleaned up the threads, etc. They are hammered. Someone bent them up and it looked like took a chisel to the upper threads. Definitely needs new items. Now that it's all put together. LOL I don't have the energy to tear it all apart again. OK, how bout I use the welding torch and heat the leaf springs to the point the frame hits the ground. LOL..... Don't worry, I'll get mad at myself and tear this thing apart again (after I get new parts) and have an ample supply of my favorite beverages on hand. I'm sure I'll have a dozen or so people ask me when I'm going to lower my truck at the show tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:22 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, wait til crusin season is over for the most part....but out in cali...crusin season is 365 days a year....lol...cant let the truck break you...a knuckle or two is inevitable lol... gotta have a few of the cold beverages....definitely, i'd plan on the truck being on the stands and havin aspirin and bandaids on hand....lol .....workin on these things is supposed to be fun....so they tell me...... i hear drivin them is too...i m still garage crusin