2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Knock caused by phaser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:22 PM
dredmo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Knock caused by phaser?

I took my truck into the shop twice now for a low-pitched engine knock. Almost like a lifter-ish sound.

They ordered a part this time called a phaser.

Something about cam adjustment.

Does anyone know more about this part, or had a similar problem and or fix?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:49 PM
masterscab
New User
I had to take my truck to the dealer three times for the same problem, knocking noise after warm-up. The bad thing about the whole affair is I had prove to the dealer that there was a problem and show them were the noise was coming from, at that point the dealer replaced the cam phaser and a sprocket as per the ford hot line. In my opinion ford knows about this problem and if you don't prove it to them your invoice will read like my first two did, no problem found.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:12 PM
dredmo
New User
Originally Posted by masterscab
I had to take my truck to the dealer three times for the same problem, knocking noise after warm-up. The bad thing about the whole affair is I had prove to the dealer that there was a problem and show them were the noise was coming from, at that point the dealer replaced the cam phaser and a sprocket as per the ford hot line. In my opinion ford knows about this problem and if you don't prove it to them your invoice will read like my first two did, no problem found.
Thanks for the info.

Next thursday they are replacing my phaser but said nothing about a sprocket. Maybe the sprocket will be next if the phaser does not fix it, or maybe they just automatically do both at once.

Either way, at least my dealer has been cool about it.

I simply told them that ti was getting slightly louder, and that I sat in an identical 04' Ford with the same engine and it had no knock.

They gave me no problems.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 PM
masterscab
New User
Your welcome and good luck with the repairs on your truck. Here are the part numbers off my invoice, hope they help.
SPO 3L3Z 6279 DA, BLT-C/SHT SPRKT
SPO 3R2Z 6A257 AA, CAM TIMING ASY VARIABLE
SPO 3L3Z 6584 EA, GASKET VALVE ROCKER

Old 06-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Nighthawk
Junior User
Talking Thanks

Took my 04 F150 4X4 home last weekend and after 10 miles got the same "knock" after warmed up. Posted in the forums and only comebacks were about fuel injectors (sound to dense to be that) and possibly a heat shield that didn't have the corners bent.

Since I'm working some 150 miles from where I got the truck taking it in next saturday for them to have a look.

Short story, THANKS for the heads up. Maybe this will expedite correction of the problem.

Love the truck, great ride

Old 06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
ford6
New User
I have the same problem and had the the engineer at the ford plant look at me truck. I had the same cam parts replaced on my truck that masterscab did. The knock is still there. After the replacement parts were put in I took my truck to the plant and the engineer stated that the knock was still there. The engineer put a variable amp tester on the passenger cam and could make the noise go away and make it louder. The dealership and a Ford rep told me today that the noise is minimal and all the new 5.4 3 valve engines do it, just that some are more pronounced then others, and that this is just an operational characteristic of the engine, not a defect as I believe. I am now going to contact the engineer and see if what they are willing to do about this. If there are other trucks out there that do not have this noise, then I want one of them.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 AM
zer0cool
Senior User
Make sure the Phaser is set to "stun". Otherwise you might accidentally kill someone.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 AM
fanman2
Senior User
Funny zerOcool.....very funny....

Old 06-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Nighthawk
Junior User
i dunno with some of these "intelligent" dealer mechanic types setting it to vaporized might be a good idea!!!!

Old 06-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Nighthawk
Junior User
took my 04 5.4L into the dealer last week for the "knocking" sound(showed up after 10 miles on the odometer). They had another vehicle in recently and ended up replacing the engine due to excessive metal pieces in the oil pan!

Apparently Ford rec's replacing the phaser and associated components but this doesn't always solve the problem.

Have confidence in the dealer that they'll do the right thing and will let you know the outcome

good luck!

Old 09-01-2004, 04:26 PM
cccww
New User
Having my phasers replaced this week for the same knock.
Had Scotty check the Proton Torpedos and said everything was fine there.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 PM
mwh
Senior User
Are these phasers only on thr 5.4l engines?

Last edited by mwh; 09-01-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
supertomatoe
Freshman User
Question

they say the updated parts are not the same as the 05 . 04 & 05 parts are not interchangeable. i wonder why if there the same engine ?