Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Hi Ohio...Noob here...sorta

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 06:39 PM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem. Guess I was in a 'mood'. Different tastes are cool, that and inovation are what makes this hobby great. Sorry if I offended anyone. MR is mellow now.
BTW...The cruise night was cancelled due to weather.

MR

Old 06-12-2004, 07:12 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm not saying that anybody was offended, its just that i want anybody who who stops by O.C. to feel that they are welcomed here, regardless of what they drive. and Mroldv8 i think that you could be a valuable asset to this forum...... and lets say that there is nothin wrong with showin them what old school is about.....300hp out of a three hundred and ninety cu. stock Ford engine does say something about the sixties......

Old 06-13-2004, 12:14 AM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
like 20 or so cars showed up after he cancelled the show in milford. i was there we hung out there and talked to some of them. there was a nice cruise in at best buy in tri county though. Rick Spade was there and i talked to him a while. i got the hook up with him. he is having a big show on july 10 from 10 am till 10 pm and some of the bengals players might bring their cars and trucks there.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
also if you want a car show to take off you got to have ricers and euro type cars. lowered trucks and lifted with the loud stereos. if not it wont do to good. a guy in his 50"s showed up in a 32 or 33 ford with a 3,000 watt system in it. it was yellow with ghost flames.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:12 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Red face

deckedout...
It was good to meet you and your buddies...they seem like nice guys.
Sorry about cancelling, but it was a judgement call. The DJ and I sat there from about 5:00 til 6:30. Even though we don't officially start it until 6:00, people usually start showing-up between 5:00 and 5:30. You guys didn't arrive until after we decided to cancel. I still have a headache about making the decision. No matter what the call was, somebody would question it.

The options were...1) Continue with the event with the threat of bad weather.
We've done this before, got soaked and had to cut it short. If people aren't showing-up by 6:00, it gives us a 'read' on what the rest of the evening will be like. Plus...and this is a biggie...I have to pay the DJ $150/evening once he sets up. If it was just me, and if I was rolling in money it wouldn't be such a big deal. But, I have to go around to nine other merchants each week and squeeze some of them for their share of the expense. If we go ahead with no cars there and the potential of bad weather, they aren't happy campers. So I'm really stuck when I'm spending their money.
The other option is...2) Call it off.
Having to have done this twice before, I find that most everybody understands. I hope you guys that showed-up do. This DJ has been doing these for over 20 years, and I rely heavily on his judgement. He seems to know the right and fair thing to do.

Anyway...It was good to see you and your friends last night. Next week I'd like to have them show me their cars/trucks, and what they've done to the engines. I want to talk to the guy with the S10, and have him show me how he did the air bag thing. I'm curious how all that plumbing works. BTW, your F150 is cool. It looks as though you've spent a lot of time and money on it. You should be proud. As you will see next week, we have a pretty good mix of different types of vehicles show-up. We don't set-up special areas for similar types of rides, everybody just kinda mixes it up. However, if you guys show up together, and want to park together, that's OK. It just seems to work better if the parking lot is 'totally integrated'.
As far as the tuner and Euro cars are concerned, we welcome everybody. One of the rules we have though, is 'Sound Systems are not to be turned-on'. I know this may upset some guys, but that's the way it is. Another rule is 'No Speeding'. There's kids and old geezers like me in the parking lot, and the cops do patrol the area. Guys speeding could potentially shut the whole thing down for good. If somebody gets hurt we're screwed.

Well...That was kinda long-winded, but I felt I had some 'splainin' to do.
See you next week.

MR

Old 06-13-2004, 07:17 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Originally Posted by f=2504by497
and lets say that there is nothin wrong with showin them what old school is about.....300hp out of a three hundred and ninety cu. stock Ford engine does say something about the sixties......
Funny you should say that. The first new car I ever bought was a '66 Fairlane 500, 315hp, 390, 4speed. Of course I put in an Engle solid lifter cam, 780 Holley, etc. Wish I had that car now!

MR

Old 06-13-2004, 07:34 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Cops patroling car shows. You ever hang out at the old movie theatre on 28? In 89 0r 90 the Miami twp guys threatended to take us all to jail one night. So we left the theatres big open giant parking lot and headed to the Burger King/Kmart lot......same thing. So the police and I covered a few issues.
I brought up the thing issue authorities were making about parents not knowing where their kids were an all that. I mentioned if thats the concern of the authorities.....why when we are here in the open for all to see, are we being harrassed and driven into hiding? Kinda hipcritical?
I dont mean to sound down on the police there....actually I think they do a pretty good job around there. Always seemed pretty open minded and concerned.
Sorry...started to ramble.

So I was trying to remember the name of the place........Digby's I think was the place in Goshen. All kinds of cars there on Saturday nights.......is it pretty much the same crowd as used to be there?

Old 06-13-2004, 09:54 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
The Milford cops are cool about the cruise night...in fact a number of them bring their own rods there. They have always patrolled the lot because there's restuarants that serve alcohol, and there has been some issues with under-age drinking. They have some big boys on the force...the kind that you don't want to mess with. Their size alone is intimidating. I'm glad they cruise through every once and a while, plus they enjoy it.

Don't know about Digby's. I just moved here from Chicago three years ago.

MR

Old 06-13-2004, 12:31 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
well you might want to consider cancelling the DJ services. Lance the guy that had the white S10 is a DJ and has all the stuff to do it with. you could maybe get together with him and talk to him about it. he is alot cheeper than the guy you are using now. if you get make it so he could show his truck next to the DJ stand that would be cool. Also alot of people might ahve not shown up there fast because of the car show on Florence, KY. Got to be careful of the weekends when something big is going on.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:54 PM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Deckedout...
Thanks for the offer, but I have a contract with the DJ, plus everybody says he's the best around. Every week I get comments from people saying how good the guy is. He plays mostly oldies and car-related songs which both I and our crowd likes. I'd say that at least 75% of the entrants are 40+ years old and 90% bring old cars there. This is our 'target' group, although as I said...everyone is welcome. Not only that, but the guy has been a great help to me and has a lot of contacts. We are all very happy with him and as long as I'm in-charge of the show he's the one we're going to use.

MR

Old 07-14-2004, 05:34 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Aw'right......leaving on my way up on the 16th. See ya at the show.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:33 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Good visit. Best I've had yet. Got to eat Frisches, Penn Station, Skyline, Gold Star, UDF and Marble Slab ice creams, no Graeters. Missed the Chicago Gyros again this trip. Made it to three out of four bbq's.
Got to visit all the nephews and nieces....and my one and only daughter.
Got to hang out at MR's carshow with my niece and had some good conversation with several people.
Great weather, good food, and good people. Hope to make another great trip soon.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:43 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

ive got only one question.............

Skyline or Gold star?????

Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by f=2504by497
ive got only one question.............

Skyline or Gold star?????
The age old question............
Skyline 3 ways............Gold Star coneys. Raised on Skyline.......

Old 07-24-2004, 05:35 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Hey Peppy...ate at frisches last night after work...just rubbin it in. Was good to meet you last week, we must have stood there for over an hour. I was wondering if Marble Slab was open that late. Hopefully you can make it back in Sept.

MR

Quick Reply: Hi Ohio...Noob here...sorta