Bronco II Ford Bronco II

No POWER after Starter Solenoid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:58 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes indeedy, confession IS good for the soul and after doing something like this you really should change your screen name. Just kidding. I'm glad to say that the last time that I did something like this was about 25 years ago when I hooked up the cables to a new battery on my 68 F-100 backwards. Luckily all it did was fry the wiring to my ammeter. These newer electronic marvels probably would'nt be so forgiving.
Glad to hear you got it figured out & running again.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 AM
wolffpax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you got it running. Hey, how else are you going to learn? You have to learn through trial and error. We've all been there some time or another. Sometimes we just overlook the simple things and get way ahead of ourselves.Don't sweat it leave your screen name as is.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Glad to hear you got thing corrected. No need to change your name, we'll only rub it in for a year or two, LOL.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM
klthms
New User
same problem

I have a 1988 f150 custom, 300 I-6, 5 soeed tranny, changed solenoid 3 times with new ones, checked fuses and fuse links, 9 of them on the links with meter and light all good, did the same on the cables and also switched them, changed the neutral safety switch, had the control module on dist. tested along with starter and alt. changed the alt for bad bearings still aint working, any help out there, why do they fix stuff that aint broke, I also have an 84 that i can change anything in theory on and it will work, but i am stumped on this POS.....lol

Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
this thread you posted on is 6 years old. you should start a new thread with appropriate title. post exactly what your issue is. does it turn over and not start. does it not turn over . etc

Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
No need to be rude, powersmoked...

Now, on to klthms' problem....

Is the problem that you have no power or is it not turning over or is it turning over and not starting? You may also want to check the ignition switch on the steering column itself as well as the starter if you have no power or it's not turning over. If it's got power and the engine will rotate with the starter and it's not firing up, you may want to check the pickup inside the distributor if you've already checked the module and it's good. Another thing to check is the wiring/connector that connects to the ignition module. Only other thing left to check is the ignition coil and it's connections as well as the plug wires and plugs. If you have a spark tester, check to see if it's getting fire. If all that checks out, then you might have a fuel delivery problem which could mean a bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay, etc. - which means you'll have to check to see if it's getting fuel and fuel at the right pressure. Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
are you ok

Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
klthms
New User
no power what-so-ever, checked and tested starter, tested great, but I noticed the ground cable is hooked to the starter mounting bolt instead of the frame, I am going to change it to the frame in the morning and there is a wire on the coil that has about 3 or 4 strands that is in the terminal so I will replace the sta-kon as well and see where that leads me and see what happens and then I will break into the column

Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
klthms
New User
yeah im ok, yeah the posting is 6 years old but wtf difference does it make ....its still the same problem some people can be such idiots in a way......lol no offense

Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by klthms
yeah im ok, yeah the posting is 6 years old but wtf difference does it make ....its still the same problem some people can be such idiots in a way......lol no offense
klthms i was taking about the other guy . I thought he was delusional. My post was there to try and help you. but that ok...........best of luck. at least you have 4 posts now.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
klthms
New User
hey excuse me, im a newbie so to say, didnt mean to step on toes didnt know and any help is appreciated, cant we all just get along.....so they say, im just an ol country boy who is trying to get some ducks in a row with this thing and i will help anyone i can and just like every other real man, dont take any crap but know how to take constructive critisisiam or how ever you spell it....lol

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tsogara
Well I have had it with this thing...taking it to the mechanic. I really wish I could say this...when what I really need to do is fess up...

The posts from the last few days got me to thinking about getting back to the basics...how does a circuit work and what actually happened the first day. What happened was I assumed. I saw a black cable, a red cable marked positive on the insulation and some other ones that attached to back terminal of the solenoid . So, I assumed (without checking) that the red wire came from the battery and the black...I didn't know where that came from and didn't care, I just knew it went on the opposite terminal. I went and picked up my new part which had 4 terminals instead of three and had a 45 degree different orientation after install then the OEM part... and as you all have guessed the recipie for failure. (I feel extremly stupid here. I am going to have to change my screen name so you don't know it is me!)

The red that I took for the battery cable actually went to the starter and the black cable was the + from the battery. I of course have been rewiring the thing wrong since the fist darn day because I didn't take the time to actually mark anything. I switched the black and red around and the darn thing started like it was brand new!

Thanks to all who took the time to help me with this and I am sorry you ended up saving me from myself...I will be back but I am still thinking about changing my screen name.
Tim
no Problem........ we all make mistakes now and then . it is good to own up to them.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
klthms
New User
yeah i did all that stuff as well.

I have a 1988 f150 custom, 300 I-6, 5 soeed tranny, changed solenoid 3 times with new ones, checked fuses and fuse links, 9 of them on the links with meter and light all good, did the same on the cables and also switched them, changed the neutral safety switch, had the control module on dist. tested along with starter and alt. changed the alt for bad bearings still aint working, any help out there, why do they fix stuff that aint broke, I also have an 84 that i can change anything in theory on and it will work, but i am stumped on this POS.....lol

Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ken00
Do you have power at the wire from the battery to the solenoid? If you do, do you have power to the little wire at the solenoid with the key to start?
this is called the "starter control circuit"

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
klthms
New User
nope sure dont

Quick Reply: No POWER after Starter Solenoid Change