1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 09:46 AM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start?

I have a 56 F100 which I plan to to rebuild and since this is my first project truck( I've redone a 63 fastback Galaxie to original)I would appreciate any suggestions on the proper sequence. the truck has had a good bit of work done to it prior to my getting it. This truck sat outside for several years without running so most of the running gear will have to be reconditioned. It has a 302 auto (I think t bird tranny) with some type of mopar front end installed, not sure exactly what it is, and it has a ford rear end,not yet IDed but supposed to be t bird or lincoln. It has ps, pb and a tilt steering column. The body is stock and in good condition except the bed floor. I want to add AC and a forward tilt hood and exchange the 302 for a 351W which I have. My question is what would be the proper order to do things in? Do I make all the changes and additions and then dismantle to do the minor body work and paint, or do I dismantle, clean, paint, reassemble, and then make the changes such as hood changes and AC addition? Thanks for any of your suggestions

Old 05-29-2004, 02:08 PM
chitown65
Junior User
I would take off the front sheetmetal, fenders-hood-etc to expose the frame and engine. Do all the engine replacement work including reinstalling the pb, ps, ac and so on. Then freshen up the frame and front end running gear and suspension.

Put all front sheetmetal back on including the new tilt front end, check for clearance issues and fit. Take it for a drive and check it all out. When your happy with it pull the sheetmetal again and paint it all up. Do whatever you have to for the cab and rear of the truck body wise. Paint the cab and back section then put everything back together.

Basically a frame up restoration...

Old 05-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Lear

Well since everybody has an opinion here is mine . You are doing an engine swap which has the front fenders off and the hood. You said you have to replace the bed floor. The bed is an eazy off so you are down to just the cab on the frame. If you are going to rewire and since you are a pilot, you know 50 year old wiring will be a problem just go ahead and remove the cab. You can now clean the frame and inspect for cracks. These frames flex a little with 2-3 times the orginal horse. Paint the frame and now you are ready to put the motor and tranny in. Now you are ready to start body work.

I know this sounds like a lot but you might as well do it now than to do it a piece at a time over the next 10 years. If you do it this way the first you will have something that will last 10-15 yerars with out issues. Try to keep as much off the MEL as you can.

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work"

Old 05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
cheinz46
Senior User
Be sure to take photographs of the disassembly. I like to use a video camera and discribe what I'm doing as I go along. Video in conjunction with photographs. "Bag and Tag" all small parts, tag all large ones. Extra time during disassembly = shorter time in reassembly.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All good information and I would add that you need to find a friend or two to help you. Cruises and shows often have finished, or mostly fnished, trucks entered. Those owners will be more than happy to share their knowledge. Just ask your questions and get ready for an ear full. Also, consider joining a truck club. Members love to help one another out. But remember to recipricate when needed. Good luck, John