Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LINE-X contains polyurea, Rhino does not. Here are the advantages of polyurea:
1. Higher temperature tolerance, LINE-X is 350 degrees, Rhino is 175 degrees. As the temp of the bed approaches the temp tolerance (in the summer), the liner begins to lose its strength. That's when Rhino usually tears or gouges.
2. Polyurea is more chemical resistant, especially with organic oils and solvents.
3. Polyurea makes the liner harder. LINE-X's tear strength is 304 lbs., Rhino is 145 lbs.
4. Polyurea produces a more dense liner by keeping moisture out of the mix during the application process.
5. Less moisture in the mix also means better adhesion to the metal.
6. Polyurea makes the liner dry fast, 4 seconds average. So, you get a very even application throughout. Rhino takes a minute or two to even gel, so gravity pulls the liner from the high ridges into the low valleys.

Since Polyura sets up very fast, LINE-X uses a high heat/high pressure application. This produces a much nicer finish. Rhino uses a cold/low pressure system which makes it look sort of gouped on. To be fair, Rhino is in the process of changing to a high heat/high pressure system (because it looks more like LINE-X), but the product still does not contain polyurea.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Threadhead
Freshman User
Have Line-X in my Taco. Like others have said, I didn't like that my stuff still slid around. So I added a $40 rubber cargo mat.

The best of both worlds.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Motoguy79
Junior User
Just had my bed Line-X'ed on Tuesday 6/1.... I must say that is some of the nicest looking work I have seen done. I will have to post some pics when I get to it. Forms to the bed nicely, its about 1/4 inch thick and pretty hard. Dont think I would want to drop a concrete block from about 5 feet up into it but hey, I didn't get it to be a work truck. I have it just so I can tool around on the weekends, haul crap from my house to the dump or take it off road now and then so it suites my needs great.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Hawaii 5-0
New User
A friend had a drop-in liner and for some reason, didn't bolt that sucker in. One day, she's driving down a back road and that thing flipped totally out of her bed! If that wasn't funny enough, she didn't even know it happened and had to go and back track to find it!

Old 06-06-2004, 01:13 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Don't care about rust

Originally Posted by Motoguy79
I think that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone saying they don't care if their vehicle rusts or not....
Me too on the rust matter. Lease my trucks with a bedliner included and give it back to Ford in three years. They're not going to look under the bedliner to see if it rusted and I don't care.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:24 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Another solution

Originally Posted by scottb1014
Thats gotta be rough on your bum......

I have the pendaliner, with a mat underneath to prevent the rust / wear and tear. I just am not a big fan of the spray in liners. To hard on the knees (No jokes please ) Plus its hard to slide things in (again, no jokes )
A friend gave me a gym mat which fits nicely in the back of my short box. Solves all of the problems mentioned with knees, bums, etc. The other nice feature is that it slides easily and when you want something from the front of the box you can often just pull it back to you without jumping in (I always equip my truck with a canopy). Of course the catch is finding a way to get a gym mat for free.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:07 PM
4x4xford
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a question to the Line-x vs. Rhino question - I've been looking at both, and if you can still see the seams with the Line-x, is it applied thinner than the Rhino? Both websites quote up to 1/4" thick.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Motoguy79
Junior User
You can still see the seams because of the way the material works, basically it is dry within like 4 seconds after spraying, so basically it has no time to settle in the low areas where the seams are before it drys. Rhino is applied and it takes longer to dry, therefor it can settle in the seams filling them up more.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:24 AM
RX 1 Liter
Senior User
I have always used drop in liners because when I want to tow three snowmobiles I will have to throw one in the back and the carbides on the skis tend to cut right into and chip spray in liners. However, I loaded by garden tractor in the bed last week with a 48" mower deck. With an a couple inches lost in width due to the drop in liner, I could not get the mower deck past the wheel wells. I will consider spraying in my next liner.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Both Rhino and LINE-X suggest the same thickness which is 1/4" on the bed, 1/8" on the sides and bulkhead, and between 1/4" and 1/8" on the tailgate. Sometimes it's necessary to spray thinner on some sections of the tailgate or else the tailgate won't close.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:14 PM
ExcellentRed
Senior User
Rhinos

I've got a Rhino lining in my bed, have for about 8 years, and it's great. It is a little bit soft, and hard metal things will scratch it. I have a set of ramps that have made little scratches. But it's thick and helps things to not slide around. It has my recommendation.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:38 PM
zer0cool
Senior User
Anyone familiar with "Speedliner". I checked out their website, and they claim to be tougher than their competitors (of course what else would they say?). They use Kevlar in their liners (apparently for an additional cost, since their "coupon of the week" is for a free Kevlar upgrade "$75 Value"). They also do colors and designs.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:13 PM
bftuck
New User
I have had a lot of experience with spray on linings and can tell you when you look at all the advantages Rhino is the way to go. Stuff wont slide around, it more impact resitant due to the fact that the material is softer and is 1/4 in thick. I love mine and would not have anything else in my truck. Just feel Line-x, its like sand paper and im not going to risk having anything in my truck that might damage the stuff i put in the back of my truck. Rhino is the way to go

Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 AM
asinatra
Senior User
Originally Posted by KenB
Check out Dualcomp bedliners on the internet.
Combination drop-in and bed mat that locks together.
I was going to get one of those through the dealership, but i saw them both on to seperate vehicles and did not like it.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Toreador
Elder User
I'm getting Line-X next Tuesday morning. Can't wait.

Quick Reply: Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?