Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

power stroke most durable diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:23 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear that Dodge is coming out with a mask for use with the Ram so they don't have to show publicly what they drive.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
dspencer
Senior User
Sorry one more thought. If only ford owners or enthusiast were allowed here then why not exclude anyone but an owner? Also to concider; Isn't the the ford vs the competition in the general section of this forum? But I will leave; I'm sure things will make more sense in your world when all are ford owners.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:26 PM
351M
Posting Guru
I own a ford diesel and know lots of people who also own them, I also know lots who own dodges and as far as I am concerend, also not trying to disrespect the Navistar engines here but the Cummins is far superior in reliability. Talk to any diesel engine rebuilder or pump repair shop they will tell you the same.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:33 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dspencer
Sorry one more thought. If only ford owners or enthusiast were allowed here then why not exclude anyone but an owner? Also to concider; Isn't the the ford vs the competition in the general section of this forum? But I will leave; I'm sure things will make more sense in your world when all are ford owners.
I don't have a problem with members who contribute to this forum, but I don't consider many users posts contributions. If you own a Dodge and your sole purpose is to hype the Cummins and put down the PSD you will not be welcomed by anyone on this board. By very definition, you are a troll if that's the case.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Marine Ironman
Gents,

But torque ... impulse-momentum ... etc. I can tell you about that. Delta P for the PSD is greater, my friend. While work is applying the force through a distance, applying work over time is part of the understanding here. Over time ... because the PSD has a larger area under it's entire torque curve .... over time ... the PSD applies more net torque. The overall impulse of the engine is greater, and the change in momentum, both angular on the drive shaft, and to the truck body as a whole is greater. The PSD will impart the largest change in momentum to the truck, causing it to out-accelerate the competitors.

Now, what baffles Dodge-guys is how their great Cummins (it is a great engine) can have 40 more ft-lbs of torque and not win these things. The answer:
  • The PSD has more area under it's torque curve
This fact means a certain condition is true: The total amount of potential work that the engine can make is greater. The "pool" from which it can draw is a deeper and bigger pool. He with the biggest cookie jar holds the most cookies.

Over time, the PSD reaches into all portions of that curve. The net torque over TIME is greater coming out of the PSD. Think of it this way. If you measured the torque number out of the engines, once per second, for the duration of their operation .... the AVERAGE torque output of the Ford will be greater. That is a higher average over time. Torque x time = angular impulse. That angular impulse. The moment of inertia of the shaft does not change, and so it's angular velocity changes. Angular velocity = angular displacement x time. Over the same amount of time, more angular displacment occurs ... the angular displacement = angular displacment of the rear wheels factored by the rear differential divider. More angular displacement of the rear wheels = more road traveled.
  • This is the physical explanation as to why a Ford/PSD is X amount of feet further down the road than the Dodge or Chevy in the tow test
My degree is ABET accredited. I passed the EIT exam, as a majority of USNA graduates do (a litmus test to the quality of the degrees earned there). Since then I have received a certification as a Systems Engineer from two major aerospace companies. I have published work in professional engineering journals. I have taught graduate engineering courses, including 5 years teaching at a university.

I own a Cummins. I own a PSD.

Last point: you will not see tow tests of a manual against an auto because the manual will lose. The dodge 4-speed auto, yes, gives it a disadvantage to the ford 5-speed auto ... hence ... the Ford/PSD out-tows the dodge in that test.

Can you show me the formula to derive net torque please? I see some of the work up there in your post. Sounds a lot like the way to derive hp. Only thing missing is distance, which you can calculate from engine rpm. Of course you understand they make identical hp though. Basically what I got from it was that I need bigger tires. BTW thats a great resume.
Logical Heretic: you stated that the transmission of the Ford makes up for the PSD having less area under it's curve. That defies physics ... why? ... because the net output of the system cannot be greater than the net input. The transmission would have to create energy for your claim to be true.
I can prove this wrong. Im not assuming it makes more power cause it makes the same. The 6.0 just does it at an rpm which allows it to take better advantage of gearing. It assumes both trannies have similar gearing but the real problem lies in automatic efficiency. A great engine mated to a poor auto, one that is inefficient. Can generate more power but lose the race. In racing circles I have been told that the tranny wins the race. The manual cummins beat the manual PSD. The auto PSD beat the auto cummins. A tranny that can hold an engine closer to peak hp will have the advantage, especially higher rpm hp. Having 5 gears vs 4 or 5 vs 6 makes a big difference in acceleration. Especially when under load. When you shift in a 4 speed. You drop much further away from peak hp than you would with a 5 speed. The truck that can stay closer to peak hp will have an advantage in acceleration.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
This fact means a certain condition is true: The total amount of potential work that the engine can make is greater. The "pool" from which it can draw is a deeper and bigger pool. He with the biggest cookie jar holds the most cookies.
This says the engine with more rpms is better. Less torque for longer is better. This is true. If you are only using it for racing. It goes back to what I said about higher rpm torque giving you the abitlity to take better advantage of gearing. If you are towing very heavy loads. You will appreciate a lot of torque low in the rpm band. Like 500lb ft for 3000 vs 250 for 6000. They have the same average torque. But Id take the 500 for drivebility.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:12 AM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
They did this on the pickup truck test that has been linked 10,000 times. You can test a stick. Heres how they did it. They had 3 different drivers run the truck. They have been testing high end cars with sticks for years I didnt hear anyone complain until the PSD lost a head to head race.

Testing sticks is bogus. Autos are better. I must admit. This is the first time in my life I have heard anything like this. Sticks deliver more rpms to the ground. In non turbo apps the sticks will get down the track faster. Autos waste energy. Always have. Go look at the mpg sticker on a car or truck window. The stick gets better mpg because it wastes less energy. Autos have their place but to say they are better than a stick or that a tow off is invalid is ludicrous.
How many shifts are required to reach 30 mph. One. If they cant do that right. Take em out back and shoot em.

You are right that they test high end cars with manuals, HOWEVER, when that is done there is a baseline that is established. FIRST OF ALL THEY SHOW THE SPECS!!!! OF ALL CARS INVOLOVED. Second, they establish a rules I.E--- rev to 2000 rpms, drop the clutch, shifting will be done at 5500 Rpm, they have the same tires put on, they are given numerous passes and the passes are averaged, to name a few.......the artical you linked failed at all of these. Again, bogus...

Old 08-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyHaulin
You are right that they test high end cars with manuals, HOWEVER, when that is done there is a baseline that is established. FIRST OF ALL THEY SHOW THE SPECS!!!! OF ALL CARS INVOLOVED. Second, they establish a rules I.E--- rev to 2000 rpms, drop the clutch, shifting will be done at 5500 Rpm, they have the same tires put on, they are given numerous passes and the passes are averaged, to name a few.......the artical you linked failed at all of these. Again, bogus...
One of the other posters said it was available in its entirety on the tdr.

So thats how they do those tests. It wouldnt work because these engines will perform better at different rpms. You would need to shift the psd later than the cummins or the dmax.

My butt tells no lies. I shift when I feel like it.

I thought everyone owned a ford diesel at one point. Its obligatory. I personally consider any post that is informative a contribution.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Choctaw. Ive driven a truck that made 400hp at 2000 rpms. It would break em loose at 70mph. That thing could tow. It was unsafe in the rain though. Youd do a james dean in a hurry

Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Marine Ironman..very nice.............and complete

Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ga302p
If you have to have a degree in mechanical engineering to have a valuable opinion on this site, I guess about 99.9% of us better stop posting. One of my friends does not even have a high school education, and he designed a piece of machinery that greatly outperformed the equipment built by the "mechanical engineers." He is quite wealthy now. You do not have to have a degree in Mechanical engineering to have a valid opinion.
Yeah, and I've made a lot of money fixing lawnmowers.....what is your point??

I can drop a Briggs & Stratton in place of a Tecumseh on a mower and say it outperforms what the engineers designed--again, what is your point?

When parts bin machines are made, the engineering is not very difficult to explain. However, when they are designed from scratch, that is when you need these skills and abilities.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Logical Heritic: Where you are basing all your statements on your real life experiences as you remember them, Marine Ironman and MW95F250 are basing their statements on known engineerine facts.
As Engineers they are trained to examine all the available data and render an opinion. That is why the opinion of engineers differs only in small details where the opinion of people like you differs drastically depending on life experience.

A long time ago it was decided that the seat of the pants feel of different people was not an accurate method to measure the work energy of anything. It was determined that one ft. lb. of torque would be defined as the ability to lift 1 pound of weight, 1 foot. Once defined, it was easy to construct a device that would measure torque. Torque is the central component in the formula for horsepower.

Your name indicates that you like to oppose the norm. You should reconsider. You will find that scientific laws were determined many years ago by people like Newton and Einstein and da Vinci. In formulating your own norms, you will find yourself in error continually as you are now.

You have some good ideas but because your ideas are formulated from seat of the pants obversations, your conclusions are so far off base that I can't understand them.
I am not a Professional Engineer, but I have an Engineering education and background. I have also owned a Garage where we worked on everything that came in from cars to farm tractors. I have some of your real world experience bit I relate that experience to scientific norms.
I will give you a friend's opinion. I believe you are very bright. If you will quit being the "Heritic" and work with the laws of science, you will get much more accomplished and confuse old men like me a lot less.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
Logical Heritic: Where you are basing all your statements on your real life experiences as you remember them, Marine Ironman and MW95F250 are basing their statements on known engineerine facts.
As Engineers they are trained to examine all the available data and render an opinion. That is why the opinion of engineers differs only in small details where the opinion of people like you differs drastically depending on life experience.

A long time ago it was decided that the seat of the pants feel of different people was not an accurate method to measure the work energy of anything. It was determined that one ft. lb. of torque would be defined as the ability to lift 1 pound of weight, 1 foot. Once defined, it was easy to construct a device that would measure torque. Torque is the central component in the formula for horsepower.

Your name indicates that you like to oppose the norm. You should reconsider. You will find that scientific laws were determined many years ago by people like Newton and Einstein and da Vinci. In formulating your own norms, you will find yourself in error continually as you are now.

You have some good ideas but because your ideas are formulated from seat of the pants obversations, your conclusions are so far off base that I can't understand them.
I am not a Professional Engineer, but I have an Engineering education and background. I have also owned a Garage where we worked on everything that came in from cars to farm tractors. I have some of your real world experience bit I relate that experience to scientific norms.
I will give you a friend's opinion. I believe you are very bright. If you will quit being the "Heritic" and work with the laws of science, you will get much more accomplished and confuse old men like me a lot less.
Geez choctaw. Im not trying to rewrite physics here. I dont think I have speculated much of anything or based any of my statements on my butt. I have researched these subjects deeply. Not in a class room but I have spent years digging. Reading. Discussing. Rounding out my knowledge base. Yes the butt o meter can be fooled by a stiff accelerater pedal. Im just stating the facts as I know them. If you would like to dispute certain statements of mine rather than this broad based your wrong the propulsion engineer says so I would be more than happy to oblidge.
Most of what has been challenged has been my gearing statements. It took me a long time to fully comprehend every aspect of acceleration. What it comes down to is torque at the wheels. After gear multiplication. He who can deliver the most torque at the wheels the longest shall be the fastest. The higher the rpm you deliver this torque. Assuming a fairly flat curve. The longer you can take advantage of the gear mulitplier. Example. The fastest 0-60 times are in cars that rev so high that they can hit 60 in first gear. Without the shift you can run 0-60 in low 3 seconds time. Torque at the wheels is highest in first gear. Thats why you select it to get a load moving. First gear will always give you the fastest acceleration. Every subsequent gear accelerates you slower.
When it comes to these trucks I have had a problem. I have no beef with the duramax. I think its a good engine. Hell, all of em are good engines. Its the shortest stroke of the bunch. Its the only diesel of the bunch that is oversquare. It should have excellent transient response recovery time. It should be at the lead of the pack in my estimation. Throw a load on the three of em and the dmax comes in last. Guess you need the stroke to tow fast.
I never really thought of it but the 300 is square. I always figured it was undersquare because of its torque characteristics.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
(The fastest 0-60 times are in cars that rev so high that they can hit 60 in first gear. Without the shift you can run 0-60 in low 3 seconds time.) No..this is not nearly always true. You assume that there is sufficient torque multiplication to get you off the line and sufficient horsepower /breathing to pull that high of gearing.

(First gear will always give you the fastest acceleration. Every subsequent gear accelerates you slower.) Not true in my truck. 3rd gear gives the most rapid acceleration because there is sufficient load to maximize turbo boost and sufficient traction to hook it up.

You can't make these broad statements and expect them to apply. They simply don't work.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
(The fastest 0-60 times are in cars that rev so high that they can hit 60 in first gear. Without the shift you can run 0-60 in low 3 seconds time.) No..this is not nearly always true. You assume that there is sufficient torque multiplication to get you off the line and sufficient horsepower /breathing to pull that high of gearing.

(First gear will always give you the fastest acceleration. Every subsequent gear accelerates you slower.) Not true in my truck. 3rd gear gives the most rapid acceleration because there is sufficient load to maximize turbo boost and sufficient traction to hook it up.

You can't make these broad statements and expect them to apply. They simply don't work.
These broad statements apply most of the time. There are always instances of different results in certain circumstances.

First gear would always have the most torque at the wheels so any other gear would have less torque at the ground I assume. If you dont have enough torque to launch in first. You are in serious trouble. If they rev that high it was assumed in the statement they must breath. I didnt know I had a fellow hair splitter on board. But yes. I was assuming certain things. If it can spin 10k or more I assumed that there would be torque available at that rpm.

Are you going by your sotp to say 3rd gear is the fastest. Remember sotp lies. It does feel like it loads the engine more. I think if you had a gtech you would see more gs in first. My acceleration going into third is also impressive but you cant beat the instant acceleration of first from a dead stop. Try starting out in third and tell me if you accelerate faster in that gear. It is a fact that every gear lower gives you less torque at the wheels. Ok. Turbo chargers do muddle the results so do it with an na engine. Do a test. Accelerate 20mph in 2nd(starting out at peak torque). Now accelerate 20mph in 5th(again at peak torque). Time both. You can do it in any gear but 5th will give you the most pronounced results. As you shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd every subsequent gear gives you less torque at the wheels.

The reason why traction is less of a problem in third is because of less acceleration not more. Less torque at the wheels. Too much torque and it overpowers your traction causing it to bust loose. You bust loose when your torque exceeds the traction available. If your busting loose in 1st and 2nd and not 3rd then it is obvious that these gears are providing more thrust. So much so that you cannot maintain traction. Turbos fudge the numbers because they make more power the more of a load. The engine is not truely working its hardest until it gives up some gears. It has too much of an advantage in gearing in first and second to load it up well. So yes the engine may develop more torque in third than in second or first. The multiplier more than makes up for it though. The best way to get an example of this is in a na vehicle with a 5 or 6 speed manual. An automatic turbocharged diesel will make the results difficult to discern.

Remember you can mulitply torque but you cannot multiply hp.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 08-06-2004 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: power stroke most durable diesel engine?