1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1988 E150 Conversion Fuel Pressure Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Mustang 5.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blister packs or small parts drawers at pep boys or other places have a screw in barbed fittings you could mate with an adapter and make a male/male piece.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:11 AM
dgeist
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resolution to issue

After dropping my rear tank, replacing the sock filter, and having a local radiator shop boil out all the old crud in the tank, my fuel system problems are gone (at least when using that tank).

Fuel pressure at the rail jumped to 37/38 PSI nearly immediately when I turned the ignition and the engine is happy as long as there's a charge in the battery (alternator/regulator problem). But that's for another thread.

Thanks again for all who helped.

Dan

Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Tom108
New User
Dual tank selector valve

After reading thru all these posts about dual tank problems, I think the best fix for this would be to replace the stock mechanical tank selector valve with an ELECTRIC six port dual fuel tank selector valve instead of relying on fuel pressure to do the switching. That's what I'm going to do on my '90 e150 conversion van.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Tom108
New User
Dual tank selector valve

The electric valve was $75.00 on fleabay with shipping, comes with a switch and six pin plug w/pigtails. I'm also going to install a couple of leds on either side of the stock tank selector switch to show which tank is selected and to verify power. I'm also thinking that a fuel pressure guage would also be a good idea. Still have to find out why the fuel gauge isn't working on either tank.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 PM
alvaroguillen
Freshman User
hello,

I have a 88 econoline tank switching issue also i am trying to figure out,

my question is for Mustang 5.0, what did you mean by

"Might also check the regular maintenance items (plugs, air filter, wires, etc) "

Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 AM
nmgonzo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tom108
After reading thru all these posts about dual tank problems, I think the best fix for this would be to replace the stock mechanical tank selector valve with an ELECTRIC six port dual fuel tank selector valve instead of relying on fuel pressure to do the switching. That's what I'm going to do on my '90 e150 conversion van.
Did you do it?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Tom108
New User
Dual tank valve

nmgonzo- Did not do it yet, bought all the parts to do the valve conversion. It's running okay on the forward tank so I haven't had to deal with any problems yet. But I will switch it out before I go on any long mileage trips.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
RoscoeJ
New User
1997 Ford E150 Van 4.6L

Im having same symptoms bucking,rough acceleration, But I dont have duel tanks...., Its been months ,I've been tuning up ,new plugs ,removed fuel rail ,cleaned all injectors, fuel filter , fresh fuel, air filter...etc... still poping ,runs like crp*
I was going to replace fuel pump ,but I was woundering if it could be fuel presure regulator, or the EGR valve...?? What do You Guys think...?
Unfortunely I dont have a Fuel Presure Guage...

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
woodenichols
New User
Well, I too am having problems with an 88 duel tank E150. First time poster and was just here looking for answers to my problem. This is the closest thread I found. I'm confussed but won't go into the details. I need to know where the fuel pump relay is located and does it power all three pumps?Thanks for any assistance! </p>

Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
woodenichols
New User
Also too...............

Can someone tell me (refering to Mustang 5.0's picture of the selector valve) which lines are return and which ones are supply for each of the tanks????

Thanks!

Steve

Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
knibbeone
Cross-Country

still no consistent fuel

hi there, my 88 f250 4by with dual tanks has new selector valve, all three pumps, filters socks and a new relay. It still runs for a few minutes and dies like its starving, so far no improvements. It seems to idle for hours, get out and drive it for 5 minutes and it dies like there is no fuel, after sitting for hours, starts rite up and runs. Suggestions?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by knibbeone
hi there, my 88 f250 4by with dual tanks has new selector valve, all three pumps, filters socks and a new relay. It still runs for a few minutes and dies like its starving, so far no improvements. It seems to idle for hours, get out and drive it for 5 minutes and it dies like there is no fuel, after sitting for hours, starts rite up and runs. Suggestions?
Did you get the Ford valve (not fleaBay)? It so, the Pump of the front tank may be the culprit.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM
knibbeone
Cross-Country

ford valve 160. i used airtex pumps and socks. all 3 and and valve have less than 4 hours on them. new wix filter, new napa relay and tomorrow a pressure regulator.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
mybadford
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the valve located on a 93 F-150. My truck has had this problem for a few years now. I really never thought much about fixing it cause I might only put a 1000 miles a year on my truck. But sure enough when its on the rear tank it runs ok but there is a lower rpm hesitation that only occurs while running on the rear tank and it fills the front tank. Front tank everything runs fine.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Roger Carter
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knibbeone
Had similar problems with a '86 Bronco with the 5.0 EFI, though it was a single tank. Replaced all components from the in-tank pump to the injectors. Found there was a second in line fuel filter (factory). It is a pancake style, tucked above the transfere case mounting bracket in the driver side frame rail. Near impossible to see, harder to access.
Not sure if your '88 has this second filter but it might be worth a look.

Roger Carter

Quick Reply: 1988 E150 Conversion Fuel Pressure Issues