2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Truck Cover...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
ObiWanJak
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Truck Cover...

Ladies and Gents,
I will be deploying to the Middle East here in a few weeks and need advise on the best truck cover! My truck will be outdoors for the 6-8 months that I will be gone, so I'd rather spend a little more money and get a quality cover. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Loren

Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 AM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
How about a portable tarp canopy? What comes to mind is the wind whipping over your cover for 8 months (G-dub could have you there much longer) and grit sanding your paint job?

Old 05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
dgordon
Junior User
Is this a military deployment? BE CAREFULL!! Sorry I can't help with a recommendation for a cover but that word "deployed" strikes a nerve with me. Can't wait till June 5th - I will be officially retired from the Air Force Reserve. (28 years of military service - 4 yrs Regular AF, 24 yrs. Active Reserves. Hope you find the right COVER. For the truck here and for you in the middle east. Take care!

Old 05-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Broncojohn
Senior User
Watch out were you park the thing. When I came off my deployments I've had to do major restorations under the hood. Squirles and rabbits may get hungry and like rubber. You may want to have people check under the hood from time to time. Also Fill your tank full. It keeps the condensation down in the tank. Even though its plastic you may have problems starting it when you get back. I've also put small jack stands under the truck just enought to take most of the weight off the wheels but make it look like it on the ground. That keeps the flat out of the tires.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
pdroszell
New User
Thank you for your service to our country. Be careful.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:05 PM
jimmybl
Junior User
I think a cover would be more detrimental than good, not only will it rub the paint, but it will trap the moisture in and cause rust. I would recomend putting it in storage, even though it appears costly up front, it will save you alot of money and aggrivation when you come back. Just as an idea for you, here in PA they store alot of vehicles in old salt mines. Good luck over there, and be carefull. Im sure I speak for everyone in this country, that we greatly appreciate your service to our Country, and we are very proud of all our Soldiers. I am also a VET (ARMY) and my son just enlisted (ARMY). If you get a chance while your over there to get on line stop in and let us all know how you are doing! We will keep you in our prayers!

Old 05-12-2004, 07:13 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pdroszell
Thank you for your service to our country. Be careful.
Amen to that! Thanks from here as well and please report in to us if you can

Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Thanks for your service!!

I would recommend finding an indoor storage facility. I did this when I deployed and it worked out great. The facility I stored mine at actually washed my truck, and charged the battery before I arrived home. I just notified them about 3 weeks prior to arriving. I believe there is a program now where the government will pay for the storage. Have you looked into this?

A cover on a vehicle for six months could ruin your paint.

Good luck on deployment and be safe!!

ATCS JC

Old 05-12-2004, 09:09 PM
LSUFX4
Senior User
ATCS2004... Is right the government will pay for you to store your truck. The AF uses the TMO office, all you need is your orders and they will pay to have your truck put in a climate controlled garage, it is what i did last deployment. Also if you can have some one run the truck every month or so your battery won't die. I couldn't last time and just disconnected it and had a charger in the garage with it when i picked it up. Also if you are gonna have the gov put your truck up make sure you get your truck on the week day, you have to get something signed by TMO to pick your truck up, one of my buddies had to borrow the Deputy OGs car over the weekend because they came in late on friday and couldn't pick up his truck.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:12 AM
vtn98
Junior User
Yes, I would recomend the indoor storage. Just put it up on jack stands so your tires don't suffer too much. Add a gasoline preserver and disconnect the battery. Should be good to go for the time you are gone. Also, keep comprehensive insurance and you can get rid of Personal Injury and collisions while you're deployed. That way if it gets stolen or the storage place blows up, you're still covered! I'm also in the Air Force so good luck! Are you Navy? Notice you're from San Diego.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
cptnobveeus
New User
ObiWanJak,

Here's a link to a place here in San diego for you. I haven't had any personal experience in dealing with them but I have heard that they're good and will take care of you.

http://www.allservicesautostorage.com

Thanks for your service to our country, good luck over there and keep your head low.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:37 AM
ObiWanJak
Freshman User
Guys,
Thanks for all the help! Actually, I just moved from San Diego, I'm in Virginia Beach now. I guess I need to update my info...

Loren