Fuel Filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 07:12 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter removal

hello again,

I went to change my fuel filter yesterday, and the fittings I have don't seem to match up to anything in my Haynes manual... I have a '93 EB 351. Anyone who has changed theirs please respond as I am kinda confused. If necessary, I'll take some pics and post them tonight when i post pics of my tires.

Thanks!

Josh

Old 05-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Broncobirdy
Senior User
What do you mean by fittings?

Old 05-08-2004, 05:56 PM
genueix
Senior User
On my 88 302ci the fuel filter is on the driver's side inside edge of the chassis. The only 'fittings' I had to deal with came with the new filter...and all that was, was a couple of new plastic clamps for the fuel line. Then again...I have no idea if I helped at all...but you mentioned someone who's done it. Take it easy and good luck.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:11 PM
zirkdog420
New User
I have a 94 5.8L EB, and i had some real trouble with my fuel filter. If I'm correct, your problem isn't in finding it, it's in getting the damn thing off. It requires some special pliers (sold by Snap-On and others) that fit inside the fitting and release the inner springs. I pried on mine with regular pliers for a half-hour when my filter clogged and left me high and dry in Bumsville, Utah. The filter WILL NOT come off without the special pliers, I had to have Ford do the job for me ($ouch$). I think NAPA and others may aslo sell them, though not sure. Let us know if there is more to the problem.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Swit
Junior User
The fitting tool you need is at *some* auto supply houses in various forms. The tool can also be used on GM AC lines as well as Ford fuel lines. Price is under $10 for most of those out there.. or can be.

I purchased a combination tool for 5/16" and 3/8" lines, the fuel filter needs the 5/16"... if you ever have to do anything with the fuel tank fittings you'll need the 3/8" also.

CAUTION - FUEL IS IN THE LINE AND UNDER PRESSURE. EVEN WITH PRESSURE DISCHARGED YOU CAN EXPECT FUEL TO FLOW!!!

In operation the tool is placed on the fuel filter inlet/outlet tube and slid into the female fitting of the fuel line. It's a good idea to clean the tubes and fittings (and area) as well as you can before you start.. no sense shoving grit against the fitting rings. Once you have inserted the tool into the fitting you can then slide the fuel line back or forward off the filter tube.

CAUTION - FUEL IS IN THE LINE AND UNDER PRESSURE. EVEN WITH PRESSURE DISCHARGED YOU CAN EXPECT FUEL TO FLOW!!

Okay, consult your manual .. Hane's, Chilton's or whatever... relieve the fuel pressure. Get a rag around the fuel line to avoid spraying yourself in the face.. and extinguish burning objects before pulling the fuel lines! ((Did I have to mention that??))

That fuel filter comes out of the canister clip... reluctantly, but it will.

Here's a link that will give you a visual... the one I got is same as the chromed one in the third set down, a double ender. The single end tools will work fine though. http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthan13.html

Enjoy and G'luck

Swit
94' XLT 5.8

Old 05-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Superman_ManOfSteel
Senior User
yep yep...the tool you need looks almost like a pair of scissors/tongs (thats the best description i have). And be careful, i broke a pair trying to get the fuel filter of a 96 f150.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 AM
quantalimo
Senior User
be carefull(money is money), dont mistake fuel resivior for fuel filter....

filter = metal

plastic = resivior

cuzzzzzzz if u crack that plastic thing its like 60 bucks and u can only get it from the dealer......and you may have to wait 3-4 days for a helicopter to bring it in

Old 05-09-2004, 10:37 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
thanks for the tips guys... swit, you are correct in that i know where it is, i just couldn't get the fittings off. also, I have a new filter, so i won't mistake the reservoir for the filter . I'm wondering if a pair of snap-ring pliers would work? I bought a pair of those when i replaced my front hubs, and they came with several attachements... but no mention of fuel line fittings on the package. i would much like to avoid hunting down another tool... but then again, I guess I can call around before i start the hunt. I'll call AutoZone, OReilly, and Napa today to find a pair. unless, of course someone knows for sure that the snap-ring pliers will work.

Thanks again,

Josh

Old 05-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Broncobirdy
Senior User
Ohhhhh fittings. I had a friend tell me he got his off with the protective rubber caps that came off the new filter. He cut the ends and slid it on. Mine filter was way cruddy. It may work depending on how cruddy the fittings are. Not sure if the pliers you have will work. It won't cost anything to try. The tool I used was a slit washer boot assembly looking thing. It was plastic and I am glad I added them to my collection of car stuff.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Swit
Junior User
Broncobirdy, great tip on the protective bootie caps!

Of the 'cheap' options, that's a good one. The snap ring pliers might get the fitting off, but you tend to risk scoring the seal ring dohickies I'd think. If it comes down to spending $10 or $30 for the tool or buying new fuel lines/hoses... I'd opt for the tool in a heartbeat!! ((umm.. actually, I guess I did, eh? ))

Caveat emptor though..

Swit
'94 XLT 5.8 E4OD

Old 05-09-2004, 10:42 PM
reddogracing
Tuned
OK, what holds that fitting on, is a spring. To be more acurate, it is a spring that is in the form of a circle or O ring. All the tool does it go in and push the whole spring to the outer edge alllowing it to clear the raised ring on the fuel filter. For these filters, you can get the cheap plastic air condition fitting tools from most any parts store,, dont ask for a tool to remove a ford fuel filter, ask for ac line tools. Find the one that fits the tightest, push it in towards the filter, and pull the line. The lines do get stuck so pliers and twisting the line first will make it easier. Guys who do it alot, like I do, will buy the high er metal tong looking tools that fit four sizes, but the plastic cheapo's work great , but only a few times till there too ragged to use. Snap ring pliers arnt gonna work, the spring is a ring, and releasing two sides will still leave the rest hanging on. I have once pulled the lines out with shear force, it wont damage the spring, but its vey very hard to do.it one of those great wonders, and they did it well, it locks better then you would think

Old 05-09-2004, 11:21 PM
quantalimo
Senior User
Ok, I have an 86 bronco I know where the fuel pump is and the resivior however I cant find the fuel filter....My fuel lines are neoprene and connected with plastic clips(fairly easy to remove)......to the pump and resivior .....but where is the thing i couldnt find it on the rail......and as well anyone have any tips on changing out the O2 sensor on Y pipe....I had my exsuast redone and the grage told me they couldnt change it out ...of coure they are more like a welding place...but i asked anyway..because i cant get it off.....

Old 05-10-2004, 12:16 AM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
Fuel filter removal is easier if you bleed off pressure at the fuel rail, you will need tool for the 93.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
OK guys, I found the tool (I think) I needed for $5 at AutoZone. It's metal and has fittings for multiple sizes of fuel and AC lines. Also, the preferred method for depressurizing a Bronco's Fuel lines is to disconnect or trip the Fuel Shut-Off Inertia switch which is under the passenger-side kick panel on my '93. I haven't gotten around to doing the filter replacement yet, but I plan to take pictures and post them on the web somewhere. I'm gonna do that for all the little repairs and mods that I do but can't find pics for. My Haynes manual just doesn't cut it for pictures sometimes. In this case, the procedure for this type of fuel line fitting is simply not in the manual. Since I'm new to this board... is there a place for pics like that on this site? I'd love to contribute.

-Josh

Old 11-22-2004, 03:47 PM
ojosdestranger
Senior User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
OK guys, I found the tool (I think) I needed for $5 at AutoZone. It's metal and has fittings for multiple sizes of fuel and AC lines. Also, the preferred method for depressurizing a Bronco's Fuel lines is to disconnect or trip the Fuel Shut-Off Inertia switch which is under the passenger-side kick panel on my '93. I haven't gotten around to doing the filter replacement yet, but I plan to take pictures and post them on the web somewhere. I'm gonna do that for all the little repairs and mods that I do but can't find pics for. My Haynes manual just doesn't cut it for pictures sometimes. In this case, the procedure for this type of fuel line fitting is simply not in the manual. Since I'm new to this board... is there a place for pics like that on this site? I'd love to contribute.

-Josh
Dude, your'e in Carrollton! I'm in McKinney! We may need to do some Fourwheeling sometime...

HELP!
I am having a hard time removing the fuel filter. I took it to a shop and they couln't remove it. They said the spring o-ring inside the line is broke and I will need to get a new spring. Where do I get that? The parts store showed me plastic o-rings and couldn't help...

-Stranger

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter removal