Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cummins shop runs PSD in their service trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:57 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cummins shop runs PSD in their service trucks!

I know some of you will find this interesting. I work with some Onan engines and we buy some of our parts from a Cummins/Onan dealer. I noticed today that they are using F-450's with the PSD for their service trucks. I asked the parts man that I deal with about it and he said that they get such a good price on the 450's that they couldn't pass it up.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, they chose the PSD over the "almighty" Cummins!

Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Egg-zactly!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 PM
sinister73
Elder User
The key word is PRICE. Ford has often given their trucks away at cost for large order commercial buyers.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:33 PM
MJD
Elder User
This is a problem that Dodge has. They do not offer a larger pickup chassis (F-450 or F-550) like Ford does. There is not a large market for them, but it would be an asset to their lineup.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:13 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
The key word is "Powerstroke." So much for the Cummins mystique, even the shop owners don't drive them. No wonder Ford sells so many more Power Strokes than Dodge does Cummins, even the guys that work on Cummins don't drive them.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:41 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
The key word is "Powerstroke." So much for the Cummins mystique, even the shop owners don't drive them. No wonder Ford sells so many more Power Strokes than Dodge does Cummins, even the guys that work on Cummins don't drive them.

Excuse you sir, please refer to the original poster's remark as to why the trucks were purchased to begin with - he said himself - it was PRICE.
I think he said it went something like this "A PRICE so good, it was a deal
we could not pass up". This has nothing whatsoever to do with preference for the PSD - as you are trying to infer. You know better. Let's keep some semblance of reality in reference to the original post please. Heck, if Ford made me a deal I could not refuse - I'd have one too....brand new F450
with PSD/Torqueshift, - say 20,000.00?..hmmmm...that would work.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:36 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Originally Posted by sinister73

Excuse you sir, please refer to the original poster's remark as to why the trucks were purchased to begin with - he said himself - it was PRICE.
I think he said it went something like this "A PRICE so good, it was a deal
we could not pass up". This has nothing whatsoever to do with preference for the PSD - as you are trying to infer. You know better. Let's keep some semblance of reality in reference to the original post please. Heck, if Ford made me a deal I could not refuse - I'd have one too....brand new F450
with PSD/Torqueshift, - say 20,000.00?..hmmmm...that would work.
Yea sinister, and for that price you could buy the new Cummins too to drive the 4 days a week the 6.0 is in the shop!
Dont shoot me, all In fun boys!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
MJD
Elder User
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
Yea sinister, and for that price you could buy the new Cummins too to drive the 4 days a week the 6.0 is in the shop!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Originally Posted by ktmguy70

Exactly. .

Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
FordRuss
Senior User
You know, if I could get a competitors vehicle like:

"they get such a good price on the 450's that they couldn't pass it up"

I would & make them foot all the warranty work.. My last Ford (Aerostar) got over $6,000 in warranty work.. There may a method behind their maddness..

Russ

Old 04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
My point is that they certainly aren't that brand loyal to their own brand!

Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
TowinBob
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
My point is that they certainly aren't that brand loyal to their own brand!
Daimler is not there own brand though, and they need a truck, not just an engine. Dodge does not offer a cab & chassis, and you can't just delete the box because their pick-ups are 56 inches cab to axle. Service bodies start at 60" CA and increase in 12 or 24 inches from there.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:14 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Being loyal to a brand has nothing to do with it. It has to do with business. They needed that type of a platform to use for shipping, and the only available was the Ford Powerstroke, and probably a few others. They got a great deal on the Ford so they went with it. In the long run now, since they spent less on the truck at the beginning, then depreciation of the truck won't hurt the company as bad when they need to get new trucks and sell off the old fleet. Its being cost concious not brand loyal.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
in all fariness to this thread and the previous posts, while I admire and respect the cummins, you would honestly think that a shop that repairs, and rebuilds/services exclusively Cummins engines would bite the bullet, pay a little more and atleast shop around and not buy what it is in direct competition with in the light medium duty market. You wouldn't expect Goodyear to run all it service trucks on Firestones just because they could buy them cheaper than they could make their own, just an example by the way!!

I think its negative advertising for cummins even if only 1 person notices. Don't flame me fellas, while I own a 7.3 PSD, i do like the cummins, just stating my opinion.

Quick Reply: Cummins shop runs PSD in their service trucks!