6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 fuel injector problems, not covered by warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:06 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 fuel injector problems, not covered by warranty

I have gotten some feedback from my original post in another thread, but thought maybe more people would see it as a standalone thread.

First please allow me to introduce myself.
Ryan Gauthier
Thank you all for allowing me to join your board.

Ok now to the problem. 2003 F250 psd, build date not known/checked. Bought the truck new in Sept 2003. No problems with the truck after reflash @ 10,000 miles. At 12,000 miles or so, the water in fuel light started coming on and going off irregularly (come on when hitting brakes or turning left, going off when accelerating or turning right, ect. ect.) drained, drained and more draining did not help this problem. Got fed up with it around 15,000 miles, and decided that I would change the filters and if problem did not go away would bring to the dealer for repair. Changing the filters did not fix it so I brought it to the dealership for service. They replaced the sensor and said that in fact it was bad, not just dirty, as mentioned in other posts and threads here. At this time no fuel system problems were noted by the tech. Well at 20,000 miles on the way to work Tues. night the truck started running like crap, turned around an went home, had wife drop it off next morning. It ran fine for her all the way to dealership. She talked to the service advisor and told her of the problem I was having with it, and when the porter went to move it it would not even idle. Finally tech got to look at it and said it has 5 bad injectors, excessive water and sediment is what they are blaming it on and said Ford would not warranty this. The Ford Field Engineer will be looking at the truck monday and will make the ultimate decision, and where to look next. (only 2 of the bad injectors have been pulled,and only the filter nearest engine has been pulled. I am a heavy equipment/ diesel mechanic, and 6 drops of water with a little discoloration in them does not constitute excessive in my book. A completely stopped up secondary filter with gel and rust would be excessive in my book. Any suggestions as far as what to be asking the Field Rep?
I have already contacted an attorney and would rather pay him, than pay $4000 (thats what the cost of 8 new injectors and labor is estimated at) to fix a brand new truck that is still under Factory warranty.

BTW anyone else here have this problem or a similar one?

Ryan

Old 04-17-2004, 11:01 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the dealer replaced the bad sensor: does your repair order specifically state that NO water was found in the system, that the light going on and off was due entirely to the bad sensor? That's going to be critical in dealing with Ford.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:07 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a March 03 built engine. I drain the fuel/water separator on the first of every month and run Stanadyne in every tank. No problems to date. I have 14000 miles on it. I will be changing fuel filters soon. I wonder if the draining of the separator plus the fuel conditioner has had the positive effect?

Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SBV45
I have a March 03 built engine. I drain the fuel/water separator on the first of every month and run Stanadyne in every tank. No problems to date. I have 14000 miles on it. I will be changing fuel filters soon. I wonder if the draining of the separator plus the fuel conditioner has had the positive effect?

IMO...yes it has, it is the best preventative measure we all can do for our beloved c94's

And selecting the best oil for the c94’s, maybe not what type everyone else thinks is good but one that is REAL good for these injectors.

No I am not trying to start the oil thing.....again

Old 04-18-2004, 09:41 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And that oil would be?

Old 04-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Senior User
sbv45,

I'm new here and new to diesels and just picked up my 04 f350, cc, lb, 6.0, 6speed and would like to know:

Where is the fuel/water separator?
How do you drain it?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
569104, Welcome to the site. This is what it is all about, sharing knowledge. The HFCM is on the frame under the driver door. It has a brass plug that you can remove with a 6mm hex key. Do not get directly under it and try to drain it as you will get a diesel bath. Be off to the side of it and loosen the plug, remove it and hold a container under it to catch the fuel. I use a 2 liter plastic soda bottle that I cut the top off and cleaned out. That way you can see what came out. Look for water and debris.

Also look in your owner manual diesel supplement. It is chock full of info. Including how to drain the water separator and good info on changing oil etc.

Let me know how it works out.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fmtrvt
And that oil would be?
Mobil Delvac 1....you can actually hear the difference. Most of the noise you hear from the top of a diesel engine is the injectors.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:36 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by fmtrvt
And that oil would be?
OOPS, Bob says it best, let me see if I can say it like him....Mobiel Delvac 1

It really is good stuff and there are only a few that are good for this, the 6.0L issue maker.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:58 AM
jeb
Elder User
I don't see how they can deny you coverage since you had them look at the problem before and you changed the fuel filter on schedule. Let us know how it comes out.

Another example of ford not doing the right thing, IMO. Just like them only replacing one injector at a time. Some injector problems are starting to show up on the dmax but GM is stepping up to the plate and replacing all 8 of them at once. Ford would save a lot of heartache and buyer loyalty if they'd do the same.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:02 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Never written better and could not be more true.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:07 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
It is not Ford not doing the right thing...
it's his dealer... the dealer is not = Ford...

a good dealer can help with Ford in the way they present the case...

Just calmly but firmly ask to speak to the regional rep....
in that little of mileage, it is the filtering system that is at fault if it failed already...
That is not a user problem unless someone dumped some trach down your tank or your local fueling spot has a SERIOUS problem with LOT'S of vehicles.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:46 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Well they are taking a fuel sample from the tank today, and the field engineer is to be here today or tomorrow to look at it. I hope he makes the right decission, to warranty it. If not let the lawyer games begin. The district rep is the one that supposedly told the service manager NOT to warranty it if they are water damaged. I just got off the phone with the service manager and told them that if this is not warrantied they better be armed with all of the specifics of the filtration system and the injectors, to court with them. They are big time trying to play this off and have me go after the last place I bought fuel from. I believe that part of this problem is that the dealership I use for service is not the one that I bought the truck from. This is due to convienece, more diesel techs, and the dealer that I bought the truck from would not authorize a rental if I would have had to leave it for the oil leak/water in fuel light repair. Hopefully I will know something later today or tomorrow.

Ryan

Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 AM
"Luke" SdeS
Elder User
Ryan

I'm confused: Was the truck still under warranty? Was there a report made with the dealership indicating the problem may exist with the fuel injector(s)? Was this comment on the work order? And if so, was this documented prior to the end of the warranty period ??

Also, what is the state, and name of the dealership with whom you're dealing??

Old 04-19-2004, 09:06 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Yes the truck is still under warranty. The dealer told me that their never was a recall on the 6.0 injectors. Yes their is a warranty claim to do with the water/fuel seperator. World Ford Pensacola, FL

Quick Reply: 6.0 fuel injector problems, not covered by warranty