General Automotive Discussion

98 windstar problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:58 PM
bentwings
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 windstar problem

I'm new here so if this isn't the place for this direct me.
problem 98 windstar 3.8
OBD II codes:
p0 301 cyl # 1 mis fire
p0 304 cyl # 4 mis fire
p 1513 imrc bank 2 stuck closed
so far:
replaced plugs, plug wires, coil bank, fuel filter (twice), air cleaner, PCV, 1 vac line, 4 tires, batt, trans fluid and filter, wheel bearing and sensor LF, ball joint, had muff brg checked (ok for +100k), washed and cleaned.

The van runs good most mornings when cool, when warmed up it runs rough and looses power, it will down shift and rev motor to as high 3500 probably higher if you were to step on it. It will down shift to 2nd under light throttle at 50 mph (no reason for this to happen) It will down shift to 2nd at 45-50 under coast. These shifts are hard similar to my hot rod trans. The van has been to 3 repair shops and so far nothing. still the same codes. yes the check eng lite has been reset many times. I just got it back from 2 days at the trans shop. He says the trans is perfect in fact better than most rebuilds. Trans shop does not do eng. but his scanner came up with the po 1513 code. He also indicated that the MLP manual position sensor could be intermittant and is a very common problem. Also the VSS vhicle speed sensor can be bad. Either or both of these can be bad and not show up on the scanner. BTW this shop does not do "fishing trips" IE start replacing parts with out good reason and run up the repair bill. Their rep is built on good service. I also have done considerable searching and found similar opinion on these sensors.
The real puzzel is what is the po 1513??? The only thing I found so far is that it is a BMW problem and not a clear explanation at that. I believe it is called intake manifold runner control and is similar to the secondary throttle of a 4 bl carb. If this is so what's look like and where is it??
I'm a former AM but a long time ago and I really don't enjoy working on my daily drivers like this. I much prefer working on my street rod when necessary. If this doesn't get fixed pretty soon I will make the street rod the daily driver and this car will be a curiosity.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
andyrew
Freshman User
My dad has a 96 windstar with the 3.8 liter V6. The check engine light came on a few months ago and it was giving the code for the IMRC like yours, although it didn't have any noticeable driving defects.

I found a gentleman on a message board who had a similar problem that he had fixed on a windstar. I emailed him and this was his reply:

Andrew I have a '98 but I think the design is about the same as your '96..
First the two IMRC's sit to the right of the alternator as you look down
from the front of the car. They each have a vacuum connection on top and an
electrical connection on the side. What I recommend is that you remove the
two vacuum connections, engine off of course, and attach a rubber or plastic
line to each. Suck on the line and create the vacuum. As you suck, see if
the bellows inside each actuates a lever that moves a valve within the
intake manifold. If this lever moves, the IMRC is good. If not, then you
have to change it. Do this test, then let me know what happened. Bob

You can email him at bobtalley @ hctc.net (remove the spaces before and after the @ symbol), and he might be able to help you.

You might also want to look at this forum:
http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/li...dstar/997.html

and this site: http://www.samscars.com/gf37.html

and this is a pic of where the servos are: http://www.autotechonwheels.com/tech...tar_P1517a.jpg

My dad is not much for working on cars anymore so he ended up taking it to the ford dealer and i believe that they said they cleaned the servos out (and charged $230), which seems to have fixed and the problem hasn't come back since.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:31 AM
bentwings
New User
Andrew, thanks for the tip. My wife has been driving it all day and calling me using up my phone minutes every time it bucks and jerks and down shifts. I will get after it first thing in the morning. I may even have to follow her over to the baseball park where she is working and finish it. This is the first piece of good news I've had yet.

thanks again
bentwings

Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor?

Old 04-17-2004, 01:53 PM
bentwings
New User
Yes I cleaned it with elec contact cleaner ( not carb or brake clean). In fact there is some reoccuring oil in the bellows which is of concern to me. It seems ok and doesn't show up as a problem on the scanner.
I just located the IMRC vac motors and moved them around. The rear bank works fine but the front bank seemed to stick after about 1/4" movement. I wiggled them both around a bit and they seemed to work ok. I didn't have any hose the right size so I'll get after them both later today. I suspect that the front bank vac motor is bad however. I did a full throttle stall test and all seemed fine. My wife needed the car so she drove off. She said it ran the best it has in a month. It was only about 70 this morning so it may not warm up enough untill later today. We'll see. I have one more nice day this weekend to throw at it.
I really appreciated the help guys. I keep y'all posted on what happens.
thanks
bentwings