General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

IS anyone here a mason?? if so what lodge are you in??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS anyone here a mason?? if so what lodge are you in??

i have recently recieved my master mason degree and was just curious if anyone in here was and what lodge you might be in.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
what exactly is a mason?

Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
heres some thing i dug up,drewcoolness99. DeckoutF150,tell me what you think about this.

What's Your Answer?
A Mason is sometimes asked by a friend, a neighbor, or a business associate, "What do the Masons do?" The question may be worded more generally, "What are the Masons?"

In either case, the Brother is challenged by the realization that there is no simple answer which he can rattle off "from the top of his head,"....

Some of these considerations arouse the fraternal doubt that "you can't tell that," or "that's secret," so that the Brother's reply is marked by hesitation or reluctance to explain.

Puzzled by the difficulty of knowing what facets of the vast subject of Freemasonry the questioner is really inquiring about, the Mason "just doesn't know where to begin, " and too often may avoid a simple statement of facts. He isn't sure of what to say...

Would YOU know what to say? Read the rest of this article taken from the collection of Short Talk Bulletins of the Masonic Service Association.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up to A Page About Freemasonry main page.

Last revised: 06/06/2002 22:10:45

and heres a good link

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Masonr...difficult.html

Old 04-15-2004, 11:10 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have always thought that a mason was a skilled brick or stone layer. A mason is to brick or stone as a carpenter is to wood, as far as I know. Unless, of course, you mean the Freemasons, which is a "major fraternal organization called Free and Accepted Masons or Ancient Free and Accepted Masons that has certain secret rituals." (according to the dictionary...). My chemistry teacher has a Freemason ring, so I think he was once or still is a member...

Ryan

Old 04-15-2004, 11:36 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
I still don't get it.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:57 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
I have always thought that a mason was a skilled brick or stone layer.
I thought that to. Unless he is a mason & asking what Union others belong to. If Not I'm confused.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
dzervit
Senior User
Huh... after reading some of this site, I now understand what a mason is: http://www.masonicinfo.com - Basically, it's a fraternal order w/o the structure of most fraternal orders! Plus, it's very low-key and has no central office or 'President'. Pretty interesting organization and dates back over 300 years...

I'm not a Mason, but I am a Knights of Columbus member! www.rhjoneskofc.org

Old 04-16-2004, 09:33 AM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok... so what do they do? What's the point? What does someone 'get' out of being a Mason?

Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 AM
awatchman
Junior User
[QUOTE=dzervit] Pretty interesting organization and dates back over 300 years...

QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's just slighty older then that.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:15 AM
King Triton
Postmaster

I cant tell you about them,I am not a Mason,but I can tell you why I will always respect and admire them.Queen Triton`s dad was a Mason and a hero in my book.You see he was a pow in Stalag 17 during WWII for two years.For those of you who are to young to know about stalag 17 it was one of the worst hellhole prison camps of WWII.They even made a movie about it,so that should tell you a little of how bad it was.Well,he died suddenly about ten years ago from a heart attack.He should have recieved a full military funeral,but they said,they were to busy or you should have given us an advanced notice or some other bull.But the Masons were there!30 of them,each one saying a little something about him,how good of a person he was,and they went through all of the rituals that they do for a fallen Mason.It was beautiful,very heartwarming,and made the rest of us in his family feel a whole lot better on such a sad day.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:30 AM
dzervit
Senior User
[QUOTE=awatchman]
Originally Posted by dzervit
Pretty interesting organization and dates back over 300 years...

QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's just slighty older then that.
Your probably right, but the Masons as we know them today first caught the public's eye in the late 1600s... just a tad over 300 years ago. Since it was easier to keep an orginization secret back in them days, who knows how long they actually been around.

But the Masons were there!30 of them,each one saying a little something about him,how good of a person he was,and they went through all of the rituals that they do for a fallen Mason.It was beautiful,very heartwarming,and made the rest of us in his family feel a whole lot better on such a sad day.
That is a wonder part of a strong fraternal orginization... they stand together and are always there when you need them.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzervit
...I'm not a Mason, but I am a Knights of Columbus member!...
And never the 'twain shall meet! I'm sure it no longer holds true, but for many years the Masons were strictly a Protestant organization. The old joke used to be:

"Is that family Catholic? They're so Catholic, their mother won't allow anyone to store mason jars in the basement!"

Old 04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
dzervit
Senior User
That's pretty funny MarkII!!

Old 04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
tsc
Senior User
Just a little background info: To be a Shriner, you must be a Mason.

To Decked out, glad to see you on the level, Happy to meet, sorry ........
Riverdale/John Ross Robertson Lodge #494 Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario. Also Algonquin Chapter #102 GRC

Old 04-16-2004, 02:21 PM
XR4TiSam
Senior User
Thumbs up

On the Square, here!

Sam Costanza

Graham-Washington Lodge #413 F&AM
Jerusalem Temple, AAONMS (If I ever pay my back dues... )

Quick Reply: IS anyone here a mason?? if so what lodge are you in??