General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

You should be DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:52 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking You should be DEAD!

thank goodness all of us 35 and older survived.

People over 35 should be dead.
Here's why ..........
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents!

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.
Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!
Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

People under 30 are WIMPS

this was pased on to me from a friend, i don't know who the auther is, but is this so true.

Last edited by f=2504by497; 04-15-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:59 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even though I'm 19, I wish the world were like that again. It seems like our world is going down the tube.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:07 PM
vman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I was a kid all that was true. We even ate dirt and bugs. Never got as sick as kids today. They have a drug for everything and are building up immunities to them. Life is getting worse around here. Used to get paddled all the time for being bad, now you paddle a kid they either lock you up or file abuse charges. I feel some of this is responsible for children's behavior these days."Johnny, you're getting a time out for burning down the house,,,,,,as soon as we have a place for you to take your punishment." Its just like the cars these days. You don't even have to know how to drive anymore, just push buttons.Our society is going backwards.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:08 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Thoses were great,and brought back some real good memories,like,remember when the Good Humor truck was ringing his bell,and how you could hear it two blocks away,and if you were lucky enough to get a quarter from mom so you could get the bigger ice cream all your freinds thought you were lucky.Not that because they only got the smaller one,THEY were neglected.

Last edited by King Triton; 04-15-2004 at 07:09 PM. Reason: cause I cant type worth a darn
Old 04-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
I remember a lot of things from that list
and I'll be 21 in a week or 2.
Sad how things change for the "better" when its actually not better

Old 04-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You forgot a few.

Through the week you would take the trash to the cans out back.
In the summer, you would mow the lawn ,Most lawn mowers were push type ,no engine.
In the winter you would shovel ALL the walks,no matter how deep.

On Friday or Saturday you would look forward to the 50 cents to a Dollar for your weekly allowance & not complain because, you could buy pockets full of candy...or save it for the day you can buy your Bicycle.

Most of the time you would help your neighbour & do it out of the goodness of your heart, you wouldn't ask or hold your hand out for money.

You would say hi to the Bread man,Milk Man, Mail man,The Fuller Brush man, the Watkins man.

You would get home after to school only to see Mum hear her tell you there is a snack on the table for you & to please do your homework if you had any.(Yes, Parents Cared)

If you were lucky,you had a paper route, to make your own money.

Television didn't make it into a lot of homes until 1957 (in Canada), you only did things that required exercise.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Shot Im only 17 and I should be dead lol, I used to eat ants and crickets...mmm.

"We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it."
Has any one ever noticed that most women will hold grudges forever and when (IF) they fight it out they still hate eachothers guts and never let it go, but when most guys have a grudge agianst eachother it rarely lasts a month and if they do fight it out at the end its all said and done, heck even sometimes they become friends after the fight?? Or am I the only one whose noticed lol

NascarNut
Senior User
I'm 16 but I still drive without a seatbelt and drink water from the garden hose! hehe.. I also mowed a lot of lawns to be able to buy my Bronco.

Redranger03
Senior User
...and we walked or rode our bikes to and from school!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm certainally glad I proved them wrong.lol.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Actually I think the change would be fore the people that started growing up in the mid 90s or at least that is when these changes came around here in the south dont about you yanks up there. yall have always been a bit--cooky.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:56 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Gee Mil1ion,now you brought back another memory,back when I was a junior in highschool,we still had a milkman who would bring the milk and put it in a square cooler type box,buried in the ground next to the porch.He simply lifted the lid,set in two half gallons and the bill.While bringing in the milk and bill one day,I saw the amount due.When my dad got home that evening I asked him,DAD,why the heck are you still buying milk this way,you can get two gallons for what you are paying for one.He looked at me and said,The milkman has to feed his family too!I MISS the old days!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay, I found this in the FTE archives.

Some of you won't recognize the look because it was in the old DCForum program.

Enjoy this & the follow-up post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/...D109/5184.html

Those of us who are old enough ---will really appreciate the following:
Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have. As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We played with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, army, cops and robbers, and used our fingers to simulate guns when the toy ones or the BB gun was not available.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), the term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now. Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running in the halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet spot. How much better off would we be today if we only knew we could have sued the school system.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge (amazing we aren't all brain dead from that), and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention for about the next two weeks. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an abortion or condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they did give us a couple of baby aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting the sniffles. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, PlayStation, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital cable stations.

I must be repressing that memory as I try to rationalize through the denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day about a mile down the road to some guy's vacant lot, built forts out of branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to be the Lone Ranger. What was that property owner thinking, letting us play on that lot. He should have been locked up for not putting up a fence around the property, complete with a self-closing gate and an infrared intruder alarm.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, mom pulled out the 48 cent bottle of mercurochrome and then we got butt-whooped. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics and then mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got butt-whooped (physical abuse) there too... and then we got butt-whooped again when we got home.

Mom invited the door to door salesman inside for coffee, kids choked down the dust from the gravel driveway while playing with Tonka trucks (remember why Tonka trucks were made tough... it wasn't so that they could take the rough berber in the family room), and Dad drove a car with leaded gas.

Our music had to be left inside when we went out to play and I am sure that I nearly exhausted my imagination a couple of times when we went on two week vacations. I should probably sue the folks now for the danger they put us in when we all slept in campgrounds in the family tent.

Summers were spent behind the push lawnmower and I didn't even know that mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive. How sick were my parents?

Of course my parents weren't the only psychos. I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop just before he fell off. Little did his mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead she pick him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we survive?

RESIGNATION

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have
decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year-old again.

I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four star restaurant.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make a sidewalk with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.

I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on
a hot summer's day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple; When all you knew were colors,
multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you,
because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.

All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of
all the things that should make you worried or upset.

I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good.

I want to believe that anything is possible. I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to live simple again. I don't want my day to consist of
computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness,
and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So . . . here's my checkbook and my car-keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements. I am officially resigning from adulthood.

And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause........ ......"Tag! You're it."

Old 04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my dad was hitch hiking when he was 14. ( hes 62 now, you do the math )

guy pulls over and picks him up. he has his hand next to him on the seat. dad gets in the car, the guy says "you dont have a gun on ya, do ya?" my dad replies "no"

the guy pulled his pistol out from next to him, put it in the glove box, and drove my dad to where ever he was going. he said it was the biggest handgun hed seen in his life, and he was scared stupid at the sight of it, but it was the nicest guy he ever hitched a ride from.

nowadays... i dont even know if i fear hitch hiking. never really had to unless im stuck at the bar, which in that case i dont drive. usually people i "know" from there drop me off at home.

times sure have changed though...........................

Old 04-15-2004, 09:19 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

True words of wisdom,I just wish somebody had told me not to put my Babe Ruth baseball card in my spokes,Nah,I still would have done it!That sound was just too cool.And I am not it,Parks911 is it,I was it last time!

That was the best thing about playing tag,It had no race,denomination,sex or age descimination.Every body could play.By those standards todays games stink.I would have rather tried to swing from a rope then try and get mario to do it on a screen.

Last edited by King Triton; 04-15-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: You should be DEAD!