Sponsored by:

PIAA Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:37 PM
rickbow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA Lights

Hi Everyone. Just got back from my first road trip in the new Excursion to Canada. What a difference between this and my old Plymouth Grand Voyager! Can't even begin to compare. Definately felt like King of the Road.

Anyways... driving through some pretty hard pounding rain on the way back for almost 12 hours and thought maybe I should look into doing some upgrades on the lights when I get back. I've heard PIAA makes the best accessory lighting. I'm looking at the 510's but am wondering where would you mount these? What about the stock air/dam lights situated in the recess of the air/dam, should I replace these as well with something better? I know some of you have bumper guards, which would be ideal, but I just don't have the extra cash now to lay out for an upgrade like that.

Has anyone put their's on the front grill? Any suggestions on improving the visibility in bad weather conditions are greatly appreciated. I'm also looking into putting on silicone wipers and some Rain X.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:41 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Start by replacing the factory headlight bulbs with Silverstars. They make a huge improvement.
Pat

Old 04-14-2004, 03:30 PM
lndrov
New User
I didn't think that SilverStars made that much of a difference. Some good aux lights would be your best bet.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:43 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into my gallery for what i did...
My problem was just old eyes :-)
so I did the SUV wiring harness,
PIAA 9006St upgraded headlamps,
PIAA 520's on my westin bull bar,
9005/7's ? in the stock fogs and moved them to the bottom of the bull bar...
I keep rain-x solution in my windsheild washer which works GREAT...
the harder it rains, the better it works... I can be in a driving rain and not have to turn the wipers on... have to turn them on when it's too slow of rain to streak off the window...
What I like about the solution in the washers is that I don't have to get the ladder out for the 4x4 Ex to do the Rain-x wipe and swipe :-)

I rarely use ALL my lights at once... but if I need to, it's nice to have them !

Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
rickbow
Junior User
Thanks everyone. Looks like this upgrade with the bulbs is the fastest and cheapest way to go for now before spending the money on an extra set of lights and bumper guard.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
And do the foglights while you're at it !
maybe even the free mod so the fogs and highs stay on at the same time too...

Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 PM
9f1501
Junior User
i have the siverstars and they are a lot better but its probably not enough light for really good visibility in bad weather conditions. the piaas are very good but i prefer the kc lights. either way you go im sure will be fine and a good improvement to night driving

Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Bill_T
Senior User
How was the bull bar installation? I like the way yours looks... I have been wandering the web looking at various push bars and liked the look... I want to get something to mount additional lights.. and dress up the front.. Ever consider the full brush guard type with headlight protection? Just searching for thoughts from those who have already invested some thought and research..

thanks
Bill

Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
You talking to ME ?>!?!??!

if so, the bull bar was an easier mount then the lights and running the wires...
I wanted the brush guard attachment for the bottom portion of the Westin bull bar, but they only came in chrome so I didn't get it...
glad I didn't now that I've got the stock fogs with 9005's mounted there...

Old 04-15-2004, 07:57 AM
rickbow
Junior User
I saw some type of mod...I can't remember where, but it is very inexpensive and makes your low beams fill in better when running high beams at the same time. Does anyone have any clue as to what this is?

Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Bill_T
Senior User
jdadmamsjr

sorry bout that.. I WAS talking to you... Thanks for the reply..
Tell me, where did you end up with switches for lights? I also have a brake controller to install.. so I am trying to plan out the impact to the dash and set things where they make sense.. I havent done this before so any knowledge is helpful.

thanks
Bill

Old 04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Biil,
just tried to make a weak Taxi Driver joke, maybe I should have pointed you to this: http://www.msu.edu/user/svoboda1/tax...er/sounds.html

The stock fogs are still wired as normal thru the headlight switch, I just relocated the wires (and couldn't have moved them 1/2 inch more to reach !)

The piaa 520's came with a 3/8" x 3/4" lighted switch that could be mounted several ways... I chose to use the double sided tape and just stuck it to the left of the steering column on the "middle" dash panel that also has my Ford Gold remote security light mounted in it...

While easy to reach there, I am thinking of moving it ONTO the top of steering column so it will be easier to see the light and know if they are on or off... (I run my running lights and fogs as day time running lights and don't want the piaa's on during the day...)
right now I've found the best way to check the light is to look at the reflection of the light on the upper windshield !
and yes, there are two particular mods that might help...
the one I mentioned to get fogs to stay on any time you want including high beams..
and one that turns both lows and highs on when highs are selected...
haven't done either since i have enough light with the fogs and piaa 520's...

Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
rickbow
Junior User
I saw some type of mod...I can't remember where, but it is very inexpensive and makes your low beams fill in better when running high beams at the same time. Does anyone have any clue as to what this is?

Found what it is...Brite Box sold at Motorhaven.com. Anyone using this mod? Jd..is this the mod you are using in the post above?

Old 04-15-2004, 06:32 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
NO --- while I support Motorhaven in everything I can, I have to state that there are instructions "out there" that let you do it yourself if you're willing....

Old 04-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Bill_T
Senior User
JD

Taxi driver is one of my favorites.. but it didnt occur to me when I read your 1st reply post.. thanks for the link.. now I feel the need to go to blockbuster and rent the movie.. it's been a few years...

thanks for the feedback on the lights.. I dont have factory fogs... so it makes it a bit tougher.. I am not much of an electrician.. so will have to get a buddy involved..

thanks again
Bill

Quick Reply: PIAA Lights