1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake drum question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake drum question

I have a question about how my front brake drums should be mounted to the hub. The drum has two sets of mounting holes as seen in the picture below:

I believe this is the correct way to mount them. Is it? Also, why are there two sets of holes? Is the other set used on other truck models or axles? One set of holes has a raised shoulder-like thingy. Now, why can't the manuals use straightforward language like that? Everybody knows a doohickey and thingamabob when they see one.

Just another confusing mystery that isn't cleared up by my huge library of shop manuals, parts books, fix-it books and the hundreds of pictures I took when I disassembled everything. I didn't think to take a picture of how the drum mounts thinking it could only go on one way like the rim.

Thanks!

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
If the bolt pattern is the same and one set of holes has the 'shoulder', I would guess that the correct set of holes would have something to do with a difference in rims being used. Just a guess, I'm sure someone will have the correct answer based on fact.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:28 PM
billsco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well first of all it says left on the drum. This is right. Number 1. Then the whatchamacallit is for the other deal. 2.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Nobody can answer this question, either? I thought folks on FTE knew everything there is to know about these old trucks. Granted, these are obscure questions but surely somebody knows why Ford did these things back in the day. And what about the spring nuts that hold the brake drum on the studs? How many per wheel and does the concave side face in or out? Don't let me down, you know-it-alls!

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Old 04-21-2004, 06:25 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you are going to put the spring nuts back on the concave side faces the drum.
The spring nust were origanly put un when the truck was on the assembly line so that the drums wouldn't fall off.
I always threw them away, they can be a real PITA

Old 04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
bsprowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, just throw those spring "nuts" away. Just extra weight - lol.

Bob