1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 AM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Vern

That is same conclusion i come up with. I only want to re-wire once. Put the column in first and then i can pick the right wire harness.

If i use a GM tilt column what would i need to do to steering box, pitman arm, drag bar etc.

Terry

Old 04-16-2004, 07:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tlb
Thanks Vern

If i use a GM tilt column what would i need to do to steering box, pitman arm, drag bar etc.

Terry
Terry,

You said earlier in this post you wanted to change over to power steering. That will affect the steering linkage. What steering box will you be using? Toyota perhaps? I see from your gallery you are running a 302 and C4. The 302 is a relatively narrow engine, so depending on what steering box you use, getting the steering linkage to clear the engine, headers, etc, should not be a big obstacle.

Vern

Old 04-16-2004, 02:34 PM
bishopcom
New User
No limits engineering sells a kit for around $600 bucks that allows you to convert to power steering and keep your stock axle. It comes with all the necessary bells and whistles such as toyota steering box, custom pitman arm, mounting brackets, etc.

Last edited by bishopcom; 04-16-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:00 PM
tlb
Elder User

Thanks bishopcom
I will look into that

Terry

Old 04-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
TLB

There is a article in this months Classic Trucks mag on converting a Effie with a straight axle to Toyota power steering.

Old 04-18-2004, 05:57 PM
saltydog57
New User
pontiac column

I got a pontiac firebird tilt wheel from the junkyard with keys for $35. the only thing is I have to redo center pad to say ford & use a GM key to start it. It was a cheap alternative at the time but it still bugged me and festered using GM key in a ford! lol I'm thinking of just bitting the bullit and get the Ididit column and go back to the origonal dash start with key & button on my 49.

Old 04-18-2004, 06:09 PM
tlb
Elder User

I agree ford should stay ford. I also want to keep push button start.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:01 PM
fordgo
Senior User
for what it is worth the first steering column that i used came out of a mid 80's grand marquis with a column shift and a key on the column a little research at the library got me the wiring schematic and a hour or two with a multimeter answered all my questions i am in the process of redoing my truck once again and i have a lokar swan neck shifter and i am keeping the button starter i stripped the column of the key and the shifter mechanism cut the boss off the key and did the same with the shifter mechanism (gotta love j.b. weld filled all the parts in and it looks pretty good) if i get the chance ill post some pics in my gallery if ya want to see it

Old 04-19-2004, 04:43 AM
tlb
Elder User

I would be interested in pictures of your steering column install. I am trying to get as much info as i can before i go in wrong direction.

Thanks

Terry

Old 04-19-2004, 04:57 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ididit tilt column. One of the best purchases I made for my truck. I wanted one, but was always concerned with the price. Then I just went for it, and ordered. When that box came, I forgot all about what it cost, and after I installed it, I was sure I made a good buy.
I plan on keeping my truck for a good long time, and one day, I will have everything I thought I couldnt afford in it.

I say if you want it, dont cheat yourself, TREAT yourself.

55forder

Old 04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
tlb
Elder User

good advice. As much time and money these things cost it dosen't pay to scrimp on certain things especially a steering column. That is usually the first thing you see when you look inside another vehicle.

Terry

Old 04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I call it "cry once." You only cry when you have to write that big check, but with the cheap alternatives, all too many times you cry everytime it breaks or needs adjusting. Good luck, John

Old 04-26-2004, 03:25 PM
half ton
Junior User
Just something else to consider...the aftermarket columns act a lot like a spear in an accident. They do not collapse as do all semi-modern columns. It's probably not a big deal on a show and shine truck but on a daily driver its something to consider. This is what is causing me to hesitate on my project. Guys will say that they feel safe because there's no way that a Honda Accord is going to win when hit with a solid framed F-100. And while its true that the sheet metal damage may be less, the human damage is going to be much greater. The only crush zone an F-100 has is the collapsed beer can beneath the seat.

Ididit does have a collapsible extension which is used in conjunction with a short column. It looks like it complicates things a bit but it might be worth it.

Just my thoughts...

Old 04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
tlb
Elder User

Let me know if you decide to go this way. Sure is worth looking into.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is true that anybody driving in a vintage auto is at more risk than in a modern vehicle. A lack of air bags, cushioned dashs and seat belts make for a bad situation in a wreck. Each of us has to make that decision on our own and act accordingly. How much trouble and expense are you willing to go to for the improved level of safety? For myself, I decided that it was necessary for three-point seat belts. Maybe by the time I do my next project (10 years) the collapsible steering columns will be affordable and readily available. Until then, I will just have to stay out of wrecks. John

Quick Reply: Steering Column