General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Band of Brothers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:50 PM
fatman66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Band of Brothers

Just wanted to recomend to anyone who likes history, WWII, or heroes that the history channel has started showing the HBO mini series Band of Brothers at 9PM, the first episode was on last night and the next tonight I think. I would highly recomend watching this series as it is really well done and a great tribute to the 101st Airborne and all the American soldiers who participate in the invasion of France in WWII. It shouldn't be too hard to pickup tonight if you missed the first episode last night (which is entitled Curahee if you see it rerun sometime).

Old 04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
I'll second that.

I've been meaning to buy the DVD's for a while now.

Waxy

Old 04-12-2004, 03:02 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great series! My dad was in France at that time. When he came home in 1945, his feet had been frozen and he had open sores on them. He had to wear bleached white socks and many nights I watched him soak his feet in warm water to get his socks off. Yet he never complained, just went back to work and got on with his life - a great generation and only a few are left.
Dono

Old 04-12-2004, 03:08 PM
fatman66
Senior User
Yeah, I'll buy into that "greatest generation" thing. Maybe I should have said a great tribute to all the allied soldiers who served in the invasion of Europe in WWII.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Bordaine
Elder User
Great Show
It makes you want to thank the next vet you see, from any era. I also heard they are making one based in the Pacific theater. The DVD comes with interviews of the real men from the 101st, and most of the actual people dipicted in the show.
To any and all vets THANK YOU
Steve

Old 04-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Ford51
Elder User
I love Band of Brothers. My dad bought it when it came out and we finished the series within the week. We'ev rewatched it many times and it never gets old. If you like it on t.v., i strongly suggest buying the set. The interveiws and documentary are great. whats everyone who's seen it'f favorite episode? Mine is Episode 7. It's one of the battle of the bulge ones. I wont give the whol episode away but it's great.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:00 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
I bought it the day i found out it was out on dvd. I still havn't gotten past 6. I havn't had time. Maybe i'll go watch it right now.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the dvd set for xmas. Unfortunately, I havent gotten around to watching it yet. I loved Saving Private Ryan, as well as most of the other WWII films.

Rich

Old 04-12-2004, 07:22 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
Band of Brothers in my opinion is the best combat film of all time. I served in Germany in the occupation 55 and 56. Knew a lot of guys who went through Normandy. Have a cousin who fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a tank commander. He still won't talk about it.

Jim

Old 04-16-2004, 05:40 PM
95-F-350-4x4
Posting Guru
Band of Brothers is an awesome series. Saving Private Ryan has to be my all time favorite war movie. Has anyone seen that WW2 movie "When Trumpets Fade"? I saw the tail end of it on HBO a while back and it looked pretty cool.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:54 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jimtracker
Band of Brothers in my opinion is the best combat film of all time. I served in Germany in the occupation 55 and 56. Knew a lot of guys who went through Normandy. Have a cousin who fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a tank commander. He still won't talk about it.
Jim
It IS a great series...
Heck, I'm not shy enough to tell you I had tears in my eyes while watching some of it... and I knew NOTHING about it before then...

My father-in-law has a purple heart and 5 bronze stars from when he was in France... I have only talked to him once about it and in 5 minutes of talking he had tears in his eyes... and this is a STRONG man !

I'm glad we had that talk to, because I was feeling him out to see if I should give him the Band of Brothers DVD set as a gift...
Thought best of it since it still impacted him so much 60+ years later....

Old 04-16-2004, 06:44 PM
borderman
Senior User
I love the series too and I hope to buy the set soon. I was suprised on one episode of two nights ago where in a scene of GIs holding some German prisoners, one of them was an American fighting on the German side. He stated he was a true Aryan and responded to the call. Did this really happen? And if it did, shouldn't that guy been executed for treason during war time?

Old 04-16-2004, 07:21 PM
johare
Elder User
My son loaned the series to me last Thanksgiving and I watched all 8 DVDs without a break. A major WWII marathon but it was so good I couldn't stop watching. I have seen it twice since then but at a more moderate pace!

Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
I caught a few minutes of the airing Wednesday night. I bought the DVD set Thursday. I watched episodes 1 and 2 last night. Will be going downstairs momentarily to watch 3 and 4 (and 5 and 6 if I can stay awake).
Band of Brothers, along with Saving Private Ryan, convince me that by and large, we are a spoiled generation who know nothing of what REAL sacrifice is.
We owe more than could ever be repaid. But it seems so few people even realize that.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimtracker

Jim
My grandfather had died and my dad was on his way to Paris to come home on emergency leave when the Battle of the Bulge started. All leaves were cancelled and he rejoined his unit and fought in the battle. I have a picture of him sitting on a burned German tank after the Germans were beaten back.
Dono

Quick Reply: Band of Brothers