1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What to look at on a 97 F-350 PSD 4x4 auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 11:06 PM
paddler
More Turbo
Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks to the folks who responded to my "Do I really want a diesel?" post. Still pondering what I want to do, but the idea of buying used for a limited-use (for me) vehicle makes sense. Since my S-10 extended cab standard bed 2wd (please don't hurt me!) is more than adequate for my towing and hauling needs, getting a different truck only makes sense if I go for a crew cab (5 or 6 adults vs 3) and 4wd (Appalachian dirt roads in spring snow or rain) for kayak excursions. Many in my paddling club have gone for and are happy with Subaru AWD wagons, but I also need towing and hauling capacity at least equal to the S-10.

So, here's the question part:
While traveling last weekend, I saw (assuming I recollect right) a 97 (might have been 95?)F-350 crew cab, standard bed, single rear wheel PSD automatic 4x4 at an independent used car lot. Body and interior looked in good shape. Posted price was $16,500. I think I've seen this truck on their lot for some time (I pass by that way every few weeks), so there might be negotiating room. Also makes me wonder why it's been there so long.

I'm planning to call the dealer and get the particulars. Any suggestions beyond confirming year / engine / transmission / mileage / condition /plow use / general condition? If I can get a local mechanic (might have to be a dealer, I live 2 hours away from the lot and don't know mechanics in that area) to look it over, what should I be interested in? Thoughts on price?

"User replaceable" parts don't concern me if the truck's price is appropriate to what needs replaced. I'm reasonably handy and have access to a 9 klb lift. I've done fluid & filter (oil, gas, transmission) changes, shocks, steering idler arm, rear axle bearings (OK, should have let a shop do that; getting the races out of the axle was a major hassle), and installed brakes on my boat trailer. If it can be done on a lift with common hand tools, I'm game.

If this truck is a good deal for me, I'll slap on a ladder rack (carry canoes), slotted bed rails (tie in awkward loads) and a bed extender (8' effective bed is great for kayaks). Key question is whether it's a good deal. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:38 AM
bricot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I wound up doing, same thought process.

You can run the vin number to see if it has ever been wrecked. I noticed the bolts under the hood in the very corners above the headlights had been removed ( you could see the part of the unpainted area that should have been underneath the head of the bolt). There would be no reason to remove these unless you were taking off the body panels ... as in after a wreck. Take a creeper and take a ride underneath the truck, see how dry it is (no leaks), but I also look for things that are too clean as well.

A mechanic is a good idea.

Whats the mileage? Trim package XL/XLT/Lariat? Price seems good to low (for this area) I paid $1500 more for mine with 90K miles.

Old 12-05-2002, 12:36 PM
FDNY13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts