1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fan Mounting Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:38 PM
jmooremtb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Mounting Help

Hello,
I have purchased the 16" superflo electric fan from Midfifty. The catalog says that it mounts in a shroud or on the radiator. I have a 55 F 100 with the stock 239 and stock radiator. I do not intend to use a shroud just yet. I can't see how this thing is going to mount on the radiator. The holes in the sides of the radiator frame are way farther apart than the width of the fan housing. Is there a bracket that people use to mount this thing?
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Thumbs up

Jeff
It should have come with some mounting hardware...Midfifty is good about answering questions on their 1 800 #. Anyway you can use tie wraps and over size washers. Just thread the tie wrap, preferably black, through a washer, tehn through the fan bracket, then through the rad fins. On the reveerse side , thread a washer over the tie wrap tail end then slide another tie wrap head over the tail and tighten and trim . Voila!

That's how I fastened my tranny cooler.

GW

Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 AM
wosborn
Senior User
should have mounting brackets

The fan is too heavy to use zip-ties through the rad fins. Your fan should have mounting brackets that will bolt to the rad mounting bolts on each side. I got mine at Summit Racing.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:28 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Wosborn is right...

find two pieces of flat bar stock...say... 1" wide and 1/16" to 1/8" thick... measure the width of the radiator from side to side. There should be some holes drilled in the frame of the radiator. Drill the flat stock to match the mounting holes in the fan assembly then mount the fan. Hold it up to the radiator and mark the place to drill the holes in the radiator if you can't use existing holes. Some 1/4" hardware with ny-loc nuts should fix you up. dont use those cheesy plastic "thru radiator" supports, you won't be happy and it doesn't do your radiator any good. ..

john

Old 04-11-2004, 11:00 AM
onelowzuki
Senior User
Just get 5 packs of Bubble Yum bubble gum, 3 kids,duct tape, and some wet paper towels. Have the kids chew on the gum, spit it out and put it on you fan, stick it to the radiator, hold it on with duct tape till the gum dries, and use the paper towels to wipe up the messy slobering kid faces when you done. Also buy the black Cherry flavor, it makes you engine compartment smell pretty

Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say get the shroud. Also, your fan should have had brackets that would reach all the way to the side flange of the radiator. (Unless you did not tell Midfifty that you wanted a fan to fit your radiator.) Why have the bracket on the fins just hampering your air flow. Maybe they will let you return it and you can get the right one with the shroud and the brackets. Good luck, John