Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 PM
bertcakes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problem

Ok this is going to be hard to explain. Here is my problem. If you hold the steering wheel in the center it goes straight. As soon as you trun it to the left, just for example because it happens on both sides, and straighten the steering wheel out the truck wants to pull the the left so I have to have it steering more the right. Same thing on the other side just opposite. When I turn to the right and try to straighten out it wants to pull to the right. If you are going slow you can weave right and left and literally feel something wrong and it will almost feel like a roll over to each side and back when you goto the other. Its gettng annoying. Any ideas would be great!!

This is a 1995 f-150
4x4

I forgot to add that I have not had this truck that long. I did not notice this at first, but I had a really bad tire and the steering was way off until I got a new one. I did not get new tires all around.

Last edited by bertcakes; 04-06-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM
larry derouin
Elder User
sounds like you're caster adjustment is not correct and the centering adjustment on the box is off. I'd lean more toward the former then the latter. Get a front end inspection/alignment and have a knowledgeable mechanic take a look at the box.

Also your front tires could be worn from the misalignment. Rotate the tires front to rear before having alignment done.

Larry

Old 04-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
Check all your tie-rod ends also they could be worn out.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:06 PM
zieg96
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your front axle U-Joints, see if the problems exists in 4WD. I had a Bronco that did the same thing.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Huffer
Junior User
Bertcakes,
I think your problem lies in the idler arm bushings.If it has a rubber bushing,the rubber part is slipping on the inner or outer bushing sleeve.When you turn to one extreme or the other ,the rubber part doesn't come all the way back to center.This causes a pull to one side.These bushings have to be installed in the straight ahead position when being replaced.
Huffer

Old 04-10-2004, 10:28 PM
bertcakes
Freshman User
as much of a newbie as i hate to sound. Does this sound like a lot of money or no. I mean everything is ok i just think i will get a little quicker tire wear. I have done some reading and it sounds like it could be tie-rods but i really dont know. I have no idea about the idler arm bushings though. Lately though I have noticed that if i turn it really hard to the right there is almost a catching feeling when i accelerate from a stop. It only happens once in a while and only from a stop. It still does the side to side problem where i turn to one side and then it starts pulling to this side and vise vera.

Thanks guys

Old 04-13-2004, 03:47 PM
big brown ford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Huffer
Bertcakes,
I think your problem lies in the idler arm bushings.If it has a rubber bushing,the rubber part is slipping on the inner or outer bushing sleeve.When you turn to one extreme or the other ,the rubber part doesn't come all the way back to center.This causes a pull to one side.These bushings have to be installed in the straight ahead position when being replaced.
Huffer

I mean no disrespect, I think you have the wrong component. Idler arm bushings? I don't think so. There are 2 "arm" bushings that I know of that are on these vehicles: Radius "Arm", and Pivot "Arm". If there is that type of play in the front end, check the drag link and the tie rod ends. Also check for excessive play in the steering box.

Big Brown Ford
1992 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4, 5.0
6" lift, 33's winter/35's summer
Superlift TruSpeed Sensor

Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM
zieg96
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Bertcakes- do yourself a favor and check the front axle u-joints. The easiest way to do that is 1) make sure it is in 2wd. 2) turn the wheel 1 way doesn't matter which way. 3) engage hub 1 side at a time(assuming you have manual hubs) 4) jack the wheel up and see if it tire turns freely. If it binds the axle u-joint(s) is/are shot. Repeat the other side. My bronco did the SAME EXACT thing you are explaining your truck doing.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:24 PM
fordberg
Senior User
You might have someone follow you while you drive. May see something.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Huffer
Junior User
Originally Posted by zieg96
Bertcakes- do yourself a favor and check the front axle u-joints. The easiest way to do that is 1) make sure it is in 2wd. 2) turn the wheel 1 way doesn't matter which way. 3) engage hub 1 side at a time(assuming you have manual hubs) 4) jack the wheel up and see if it tire turns freely. If it binds the axle u-joint(s) is/are shot. Repeat the other side. My bronco did the SAME EXACT thing you are explaining your truck doing.
Good reminder,Zieg.I had Chevy 4x4 that had a binding axle joint.It steered screwy too!
Huffer

Old 04-23-2004, 02:58 PM
bertcakes
Freshman User
Well I have looked at it a little, I havent been driving it lately. Its DEF. the axle u-joints or the steering box. When I locked my manual hubs and turned from side to side this didnt happen. Its still could I didnt mess with this long. Last night I didnt jack it up but I just turned the wheel from side to side. This would happen on both sides, just to let you know. When I would turn it all the way to the left and then try to straighten it out it would get stuck in the straight position. I couldnt turn to the right. I had to turn back to the left and then back to the right. Same thing the otheWell I have done some looking at r way. It would get stuck turning left then turning right in the straight position. So its DEF. the axle u-joints or the steering box. I tried to take my pitman arm off today but damn that thing was on there tight. I will try again later today. I want to take the arm off so I can try it and eliminate the steering box over the u-joints. I hope I can get that arm off soon.

Thanks guy.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Artistictouch
Senior User
Please take extreme caution turning the wheel back and forth while engine is running and in park or just sitting for that matter. This will destroy your power steering pump. Only turn the wheels when the front end is on jack stands and the load is removed from the tires. Also one must know that these fords with front independant suspension have about a 3 inch dead spot in your ability to steer. To solve the problem install a steering damper.

Last edited by Artistictouch; 04-23-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:40 PM
themoonshineboy
Junior User
You might want to look into your ball joints as well, Ford OEM ball joints, the one's with out grease fittings like to get memory steer. Just my 2cents.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:40 PM
bertcakes
Freshman User
Ok well my truck steering getting stuck has caused me to do some more research. Now when I am turning left, and its pretty much left the most, I get a very loud pop noise and you can feel it. I honestly now think its my CV joints that could be causing this. What do you guys think. Im positive I need an allignment and new tires so that could be a big part of my steering problem. But when i turn left to right like i said earlier it tends to get stuck sometimes. and when im driving and i turn you hear just a nasty pop and you can feel the resistance. Any help would be great. Lets say I have to replace the cv joints and the u joints. How much money do you guys think, just an estimate, this is going to cost me? I just lost my job so I have all the time in the world to work on this.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Huffer
Junior User
Bertcakes,
Sounds like it's time to park that beast! This is an accident just waiting to happen.
If you can just get this thing up on some jack stands (safety first!) you can check out those outer U-joints.Even if they're not loose,they might be frozen from lack of lube.If so,they'll have to be replaced.
Get over to a parts store,or go on line & get a service manual for this ride.Familiarize yourself with the workings of that front end.Jack it up and pull those axles.(You can probably rent a socket to get the hub bearing nuts off)
I think your going to find your problem in one of those outer u-joints.
Check those ball joints while its apart,too! The U-joints should be about $18.00 to $28.00.Those ball joints can set you back $70.00 to $100.00 for a pair.If you haven't done this before,you can have a shop press the joints out & in for you.I think the odds are about 10 to 1 this is the situation.
Be ready to break a sweat.I'd rate this about a 6 or so on a scale from 1 to 10 for difficulty if your doing it in your garage.
Huffer

Quick Reply: Steering Problem