1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do you remove the steering box??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you remove the steering box??

We've got the box unbolted to the frame, and are pulling the column out with the box. There isn't enough room between the frame and exhaust. Nor is there room to pull it up through the floor.

How do you separate the box from the column, and also who has an exploded view of the box they could send? This box was toast. We took the lower cover off the end, and metal came pouring out with the oil. The lower bearing desintegrated and the rollers were broken in two.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
You guys are my heros. Only you can help me in my time of need....

Old 04-03-2004, 02:11 AM
helge
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a hint on the exploded view: www.johnsf100.com/4856shop/index.htm
I think I will have the same problem, because looking at the exhaust on my car, the earlier owner had to make a few bumbs to make it fit.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:30 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixoh
We've got the box unbolted to the frame, and are pulling the column out with the box. There isn't enough room between the frame and exhaust. Nor is there room to pull it up through the floor.:

Can you jack it up high enough to pull it out the bottom?

Vern

Old 04-03-2004, 07:34 AM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As you might know the worm gear in the steering box is one peace all the way up to the steering wheel. You can remove the outer shell by loosing the lower clamp and removing the steering wheel and pulling the outer cover off. That may give you enough room to get it out. I wasnt able to pull it throu the floor but others have. I had to jack the truck and drop it throu the bottom. BTW take care of the special horn wire. Hope this helps

Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
This is specific to 48-52, but I pull the exhaust manifold off and open the floor pan around the pedals. Remove the steering wheel and twist and turn carefully to thread it thru from inside the cab. As 57 says, you can take off the outer sleeve, but the shaft will still be attached to the box because of the worm gear - it removes thru the bottom of the gear box.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Thanks for the good ideas, but I think I'm going to resort to a little elss than slash-and-burn! Actually, I'm going to remove the left exhaust pipe - my truck's got that 351 in it, and the box just won't fit out the bottom between the exhaust and the frame rail. It was a real....well, less-than-educated job done by a....country gentleman. I'm really trying hard not to step on any toes. Was that neutral enough?!

Here goes nuttin', Honey!
Shane

Old 04-04-2004, 12:14 PM
rogerf100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

If you are not concerned with keeping it stock, cut the steering shaft and remove the box. You can re-install with a Borgeson joint like the Toyota power steering mod. Just an idea.