1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the fuel filter ... special tool required ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Petre
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the fuel filter ... special tool required ?

I want to try and change my fuel filter and see if this fixes the acceleration problem I'm having ... took a clip type peice off the front of the filter , but cannot pull either end off .

Also I am worried there may be a lot of pressure in this line ... any help or suggestions ???

Old 04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, there is a special tool. I am surprised they didn't ask if you had one when you bought the filter (or have you not done that?). Usually they are eager to make sales. Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes manual? They should walk you right through it. If not, the tool (most of them) have directions with them.

As far as pressure, there's not going to be that much. Just don't lie down right under it.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:48 PM
JDandSvn
New User
You'll need to get an A/C and fuel line disconnect tool to match your fuel line size. This disconnect tool should be available at the parts house (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. $10-15 for a set of 5 different sizes) Release the clip you're talking about and move it away from the fuel filter. Place the disconnect tool on the fuel line between the filter and where the clip snapped over. Slide the disconnect tool toward the fuel filter until the shoulder almost disappears. Then pull (slightly twisting the fuel line while pulling) the line from the filter. Don't lie underneath the filter while you are disconnecting it unless you like gas baths. Repeat the line removal for the other end of the filter.

If your is like my '98 F-150, spread the filter holder apart. Move the shoulder of the filter into the holder (toward the rear of the truck). This can be tough. Once the shoulder is inside the clamp/holder, the filter can be slid toward the rear of the truck and out of the holder. (I haven't been able to spread the holder apart sufficiently to pull the filter out gap in the side of the holder.)

Install new filter into holder and slide it into place (shoulder should fit into slot in holder). Slide fuel line on filter inlet/outlet until you hear a click. Install clip. Repeat for the other end of the filter.

You are correct that you may have pressure on the fuel line. You can remove most of it by depressing the core in the Schrader valve (black cap on it. inside looks like a tire valve) on the fuel injection rail. Have a rag handy to absorb the gas that comes out of the valve. You might check to see if parts house has the correct tool to do this with.

Last edited by JDandSvn; 04-01-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Petre
New User
Got it Thanks !

Filter changed and still bad acceleration ..... on to the next possible problem