1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel Delivery or Ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
FordFrenzy97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Delivery or Ignition problems

a friend of mine has a 1988 e 250 van with a 351 windsor. he rebuilt the motor and ripped out all the emission control stuff so that it would be easier to work on in the future.now he is having trouble with the truck starting. it will run when you spray starting fluid in it until the fluid is gone. he has a new fuel pump and new injectors. he seems to think that the injectors are not firing. is this a possibility and if so how can he fix the problem. he says he is fed up any advise would be appreciated. could him ripping out all the emission stuff be the culpret?

Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Hook up a code reader and see what it says. I am sure he is going to get some codes because he took components off, but if you get a list of the codes, one of them might be more serious than the others, and that could be the one that is not letting it run.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
Make sure BOTH fuel pumps are working, the low pressue in the tank and high pressure on the frame rail. Alot of those emission parts will affect senor readings causing it to not fire. Might be impossible to get the right codes with out hooking the emission stuff back up.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Slade901
Senior User
If the fuel injectors can be easily reached at, you can use a Mechanics Stethoscope and probe the injectors to see if it is firing. You will hear a clicking sound if the Fuel Injectors are firing.
If the Fuel Rail has a Schrader Valve then you can use a Fuel Pressure Gauge to measure the Fuel Pressure. Turn the Ignition Switch to ON, the Fuel Pressure Gauge should show the pressure reading. Check your book and specs of what reading it should be. When the engine is running, the fuel pressure should usually drop around 10 PSI.

If there is no pressure, check the Fuel Pump relay and fuse. You can bypass the fuel pump relay and hook it up directly with a 12 volt source and see if the fuel pump starts working.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:36 PM
rickthornton
New User
i had the same problem the injectors get their power from the computer but if the computer has no power going to it you won't get any power to your injectors,the power to the computer comes from the starter sylinoide,it's a black wire with a yellow stripe,chack fues link on that wire,when you get power to the computer your injectors should start working that's what fixed mine.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:38 PM
rickthornton
New User
i had the same problem the injectors get their power from the computer but if the computer has no power going to it you won't get any power to your injectors,the power to the computer comes from the starter sylinoide,it's a black wire with a yellow stripe,check fuse link on that wire,when you get power to the computer your injectors should start working that's what fixed mine.