1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

A Very Challenging Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 05:38 PM
beefyjerk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Very Challenging Problem

THIS PROBLEM HAS STUMPED TWO INDEPENDENT MECHANICS AND 1 FORD MECHANIC AND ME. I HAVE A 95 E-350 AND IT SOUNDS AND FEELS JUST LIKE THE REAR BREAKS ARE TOO TIGHT.
THE HOTTER IT GETS THE WORSE THE PROBLEM. WE ADJUSTED THE BREAKS UNTIL THEY WERE NON FUNCTIONING AND STILL THE PROBLEM EXISTS. WE HAVE HAD THE BRAKES REPLACED ANYWAY, BUT NO HELP. THE PROBLEM DISAPPEARS IF YOU PUT THE REAR ON JACK STANDS, SO WE HAD THE HUB BEARINGS REPLACED ALONG WITH THE RACES AND U-JOINTS. THE REAREND HAS BEEN OPENED AND INSPECTED, BUT NO PROBLEMS FOUND. THE MECHANICS HAVE GIVEN UP AND I AM ABOUT TO.
H E L P !!!
I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP ANYONE CAN GIVE ME.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
what is the concern??????????????????????????

Old 03-23-2004, 12:24 PM
blue_mule
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you carry heavy loads?
Drums or Rotors?
Are they getting Very hot?
10.5 Rearend?

try a heavier weight dope (lube)

Old 03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you have a limited slip differential and the clutches are grabbing. Did you check that while in there?

Old 03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
beefyjerk
New User
ron from texas...
your suggestion about the limited slip clutches grabing sounds logical. however; the problem exist at low speeds ( 3-5 mph. ) and in reverse. do you still feel this could be a possible source of our problem? if so how would one repair the clutches or should they be replaced?
We dont carry heavy loads, the drums dont overheat, and the drums pull off easily even when hot.
larry
ps...thanks everyone for your replies

Old 03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by beefyjerk
ron from texas...
your suggestion about the limited slip clutches grabing sounds logical. however; the problem exist at low speeds ( 3-5 mph. ) and in reverse. do you still feel this could be a possible source of our problem? if so how would one repair the clutches or should they be replaced?
We dont carry heavy loads, the drums dont overheat, and the drums pull off easily even when hot.
larry
ps...thanks everyone for your replies
I can't think of anything else back there that could cause such a strange thing to happen besides the trac-lok acting up.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Knightmayre
Senior User
I have to agree that it's the rear differential, but putting it on jack stands puts no load on it whatsover. All that would be really good would be for checking binding breaks or wheel bearings.

Is not the brakes, you said they came off easily, and if they'd been binding they would have burned your fingers!

When you stomp on the brakes, do the backs lock up uniformally if at all?
Been my experience with these vans that the rear brakes don't do much & the fronts take the brunt of stopping.

Something else is binding, be it the diff itself, or else perhaps the axle is warped? Not at easy task for you I'm afraid, but good luck!

Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Slade901
Senior User
Your brake pedal might not be returning all the way back up. Put some spring on the brake pedal so it will pull up once the brake pedal is released.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Jeliman
Trailering
Limited slip noise

The limited slip can make noise at low speeds and while backing up. The noise does get worse when the diff is hot. The limited slip will ONLY make noise when the vehicle is turning. The tighter the turn, the more it happens. In a straight line, the wheels are turning at exactly the same speed, so there is no differential speed between the wheels and the differential portion of the rear end turns as a unit. The limited slip is not active in a straight line.

My '69 Ranchero would repeatedly "clunk" and the back end of the vehicle would jump about 1" sideways when I backed into a parking place with everything hot. It was still doing that @ 130,000 miles when I sold the truck.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Blue2
Freshman User
Had this problem on my E150. Turned out to be the parking brake pedal assembly was buggered up/worn out. Try disconnecting it to see if the problem disappears.