2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo System, Im Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
fanman2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question QUESTION for TWellman.....

Terry,

I love the mods. you have done on your truck!!!!

Please tell me/us where you got the chrome trim for your door handles and what you paid for them.....AND.....where you got the polished stainless steel exhaust tip and what you paid for it.

Also, how does the chrome trim mount on the truck.....AND finally.....how does the stainless steel exhaust tip mount?

MANY thanks in advance for your prompt response.

Fred

Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Fanman,

I started a new "Chrome Trim" thread with this info as I'm sure others will want to know as well:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...28#post1491328

Old 04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
spearchucker
New User
Just bought my Kenwood Components!

They get here next week and then I will post pics of the entire install process. I have lots of time on my hands as I took the next year off.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
That's awesome! You'll totally love the setup. The only complaint I have is that the screens on the head unit are hard to see in the daylight, especially with sun glasses on. I don't think Kenwood did much market research or testing becuase the black text on the dark blue background just doesn't show up that well when the sun in shining in and sometimes on the screen...

Old 04-01-2004, 03:56 PM
spearchucker
New User
Wink Hard to see on the DDX7015

Have you tried adjusting the viewing angle of the deck. Or is this just a sunglasses issue. Which I don't wear by the way.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:47 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
I don't recall a viewing angle setting...I believe the only thing you can do is change the screen tilt. Is that what you mean?

I haven't tried it but I don't think it'll change things that much because the F-150 dash is already angled upward a bit...I'll try it, but I think it's more of a sunglasses issue...it's probably worse with polarized glasses.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
spearchucker
New User
Polarized Glasses?

Yeah, seeing as Poloarized are ecspecially sensitive to the blue I bet it really hard to see with those on.

Thank god I live in Minnesota.

You figure next year or the following they will have a similar unit with better GUI and both of us will be selling what we have and buying the new.

You know we both will do it. Its inevitable.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:12 PM
spearchucker
New User
Where is your GPS antenna located?

On the roof with the satellite antenna?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:56 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
No, it's actually under the dash below the rubber pad. It had to be temporarily located on the roof for calibration but once that was completed it was able to be hidden.

I haven't had any troubles with it there.

One thing I've had problems with is the sun. The windshield is sloped back far enough so the sun is able to shine in the and onto the display...

Old 04-10-2004, 12:21 AM
spearchucker
New User
Pac Swi-x

One last thing. Sorry.

Where did they mount the SWIX cable for the infrared light to the reciever?

Old 04-10-2004, 12:51 AM
TWellmann
Senior User
No prob, glad I can help!

I'm not sure how it's connected on the steering wheel side of things but the unit itself is mounted behind the glove box, above the fan blower...it's basically just pinched in there between the blower and a big things of wires.

How's your installation going?

What hardware did you all get?

Old 04-10-2004, 08:45 AM
spearchucker
New User
Originally Posted by TWellmann

I'm not sure how it's connected on the steering wheel side of things but the unit itself is mounted behind the glove box, above the fan blower...it's basically just pinched in there between the blower and a big things of wires.

So there should be a black wire with a small blue bulb on the end that sends the infrared signal to the head unit. That is what I was wondering about. The instructions make a big deal about this being in direct line of stie of the head unit. I want to hide it somewhere so its no abviously in the way. THey might have done such a good job you don't even see it :-)

If you figure out where that is let me know. Maybe they hardwired it to the unit itself. That might be possible with the DDX7015

BTW I installed the Head unit, keg, satellite tuner, on crutches in 5 hours. It really was very easy. Bought all the stuff from Crutchfield and they save your but with the right dash kit and the correct wiring harness. Literally plugged everything in and it works fine.

So the navigation system and the PAC SWI-X is next thus the questions.

Ok so I might ask a few other but the last thing I was wondering about was that little black wire with the blue light.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:48 AM
spearchucker
New User
Originally Posted by TWellmann

So there should be a black wire with a small blue bulb on the end that sends the infrared signal to the head unit. That is what I was wondering about. The instructions make a big deal about this being in direct line of stie of the head unit. I want to hide it somewhere so its not abviously in the way. THey might have done such a good job you don't even see it

If you figure out where that is let me know. Maybe they hardwired it to the unit itself. That might be possible with the DDX7015

BTW I installed the Head unit, keg, satellite tuner, on crutches in 5 hours. It really was very easy. Bought all the stuff from Crutchfield and they save your butt with the right dash kit and the correct wiring harness. Literally plugged everything in and it works fine.

So the navigation system and the PAC SWI-X is next thus the questions. The only thing weird about the navigation system is you have to install it attached somehow to the speed sensor wire. So might be tough figuring out which wire that is. I do have a service manual for the vehicle so we shall see. You said, btw, that the GPS antenna only had to be on top to calibrate. So was that for liek 15 minutes during installation?

Ok so I might ask a few other but the last thing I was wondering about was that little black wire with the blue light.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
TWellmann
Senior User
Oh, sorry...I didn't understand what you wanted.

I didn't want to see it so I was going to have them install it behind the mirror, but the installer had a better idea, he tucked it up under the right side of the mini console (I have a moonroof in my truck). The little transmitter just sticks out between the plastic trim piece and the headliner...you can't even see it from the drivers seat and only from the passengers seat if you're looking for it.

As far as the Nav goes, I can't help you with the speed sensor wire, I'm not sure were he found access to that...maybe your dealer's service shop will be able to help you out.

I believe the calibration process requires you to drive around for a bit while the GPS figures out the calibration settings...I'm guessing it's a pretty easy and straight forward task. The installer said he tried to calibrate with the GPS antenna hidden but it didn't work well so he left it outside till the calibration was completed.

Also, make sure you hook the "light sensor" wires on the head unint and NAV up. You'll want the head unit to auto dim and night so you're not blinded and same with the NAV. When your lights come on the NAV will switch to a black background...it looks pretty sweet. Of course you can always go into a menu to switch these on manually but that's kinda a pain. I had to do it for a week till I could get back to the install shop for the NAV...I saw him wire that one up and he connected it to an orange wire on that large wiring harness...That info may not help you THAT much because I think there were a few orange wires there.

Did you have the audiophile system in your truck? I've got a slight power on "pop" in my sub when the system tries to power the factory sub amp on...I'm being told that the right resistor isn't connected to the power on line, he's working with Kenwood to figure that out.

Also, when I set my head unit to tuner, DVD, Sirius, etc (anything but standby) and turn the volume down to 0 I hear a slight hum out of the rear speakers...I'm curious if you've got the same thing...I know this is related to the DSP because when it's unplugged the humm goes away.

Last thing, where in Minnesota are you? I grew up outside of New Ulm (45 minutes West of Mankato). I miss the winters.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:04 AM
rjs1521
Junior User
wscott10, let me know if you replace the audiophile, I would be interested in taking it off your hands if you do!!

Quick Reply: New Stereo System, Im Sirius