OMG not another problem with ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 AM
devilsword
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OMG not another problem with ticking

Okay yes i have a problem with ticking in my 87 ranger, and yes i know that some people have this problem and some people are lucky never to, but in all the forums i have read i have never come to my exact problem so here it is. A bout a month or 2 ago around when things start to cool off here in VA my 2.9 started to tick. I thought it to be the lifter/rocker do to the fact the ticking would speed up and slow down with speeding up and slowing down. Recently i designed and placed a costom short ram cold air intake into my car and removed the entire old intake including the vapor canister, removed broken tubes, and cap off the rest of the lines and for once in 3 weeks the ticking stoped for 2 days. I noticed no change in oil pressure. Also it seems to stop after a long trip and it made me wounder if my 180 stat was casueing the problem by not opening since my engin has been runnig in the lower part of the M in NORM for the longest time.But what also makes it odd is when this ticking does happen i lose power when acellerating and in general. Feul economy hasn't changed, plugs cap and rotor were just installed last week and the wires are less then a year old. i am compleatly lost in this. Should i remove All of the vacume tubes and replace the vacume hoses in hope that should stop it? Should i replace the the stat back to a norm degree? i just flushed the radiator when i replaced a rusty cracked heater core. Anyone help??!?!?!

PS: Sry about the length i just wanted to get all the deatails out

Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
if it is a sticking lifter a different oil will help the issue. a high detergent oil is best for these as people have found out. somehting like 15w40 or 10w30 in the Diesel oil grade like CI-4+. delo , rotella,valvoline.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:06 AM
devilsword
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i accidently ran 10w30 synthetic by valvoline for some time but then switched back to 10w40 becaus eit seemed to make thing worse and couse the oil to burn off more quickly. Course is there a differance between the 10W30 i used a Diesel? and if so wher ecould i find out on the bottle? Also i was told broken vacume lines can be a casue of noisy lifters is thaty true?