2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn lights off??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
rayway
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How to turn lights off??

I must be stupid as I can't figure out how to turn the headlights off!
As I see it as long as the engine is running they are on. I would like to be able to sit parked and not have them on.
Every other vehicle I've owned ( mostly chevys) allowed you do shut them off by applying the e brake but not this new 04. Any suggestions??

Old 03-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Missing
Freshman User
Are the lights set on auto? If so take them off auto

Old 03-13-2004, 12:40 AM
greenroses
Senior User
Turning the **** to the left puts the lights on auto. Turn them to the right for manual operation and pull it out to turn on fog lights.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:05 AM
fyrfytrjeff
New User
rayway is located in Canada where they require daytime running lights. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to shut them off during idling like other vehicles. Personally, I like the idea of daytime running lights, and I wish they had them on the US trucks.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:51 AM
rayway
Freshman User
Thanks for the replys guys. Fyrfytrjeff is correct about being in Canada where daytime running lights are mandatory. When the switch is set to auto they adjust to 60% during the day but there must be a way of shutting them off when parked.
How can you sit in a drive in movie for instance and keep the engine running for heat? I'm 50 years old and have owned many vehicles as I am a used car dealer and they always shut off by applying the e brake.
Surely ford could not have made such an elementary error could they??
I'll call the factory on Monday and post my findings for the other Canadians on this board.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:31 AM
handyman33073
New User
Fellow Ford guys,
If you go to Galls(www.galls.com) it is a public service supplier out of Kt. They have or had a by pass to kill the DRL(day time running lights). Let the Forum know if this helps. Also you can order a catalog from tham.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Night Hooter
Freshman User
Rayway, let us know about that daytime running lights. It's a pain in the *** if you can't turn it off. Because on my wife's windstar the daytime running light doesn't come on until you put it on drive.

Will

Old 03-13-2004, 12:22 PM
PC Poppy
Junior User
Try putting the parking brake on , then start the truck. I will try it next time I go out. Some vehicles disable the running lights this way but I dunno about our trucks.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Night Hooter
Freshman User
Unhappy

PC Poppy, tried that too still no go

Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM
patuca
Senior User
hey greenroses.....thx there....i was feeling pretty stupid...couldn't figure out how to turn on my fog lights...lol

Old 03-14-2004, 11:26 AM
rayway
Freshman User
Well I've got a couple of service managers scratching their heads on this one too.It seems the so called brains at ford may have screwed up but we should have an answer or at least an explanation from the factory tomorrow (Monday). Will keep you updated.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM
rayway
Freshman User
Thumbs down

Well after about 6 phone calls and a lot of wasted time I've learned that ford a few years ago dropped the feature that every other Canadian vehicle has that I know of "being able to apply the emergency brake when parked to disable the daytime running lights!"
This means that if you are in any type of security business ,are parked at the mall waiting for your better half, at the drive in movie or even out hunting, if you start the engine for heat or whatever the lights will be on!
The dealership refuses to add or disable any relays or resistors that are available to make it possible, so I for one am a very unhappy ford owner!
All my life I've owned chev trucks but decided to make an exception and buy this so called revamped f150 but I think I made a mistake.
The truck is a fully loaded job 2 lariat scab, 5.4, 373's LS , 6'5" box , built 10,02,03 at Norfolk that cost me $43000cdn and it has most of the problems that I'm reading here. Vibration, afterbounce, hesitaion,shuddering from start, surgeing etc. I've also got the cosmetic problems like the black plastic emblem on the drivers door coming off because the doors were not aligned properly. The 5.4 also has a nasty ticking coming from the heads on each side of the engine that can only be heard with the hood up but it is still embarrassing as it should be quiet as silk.
To make things worse I had to convince the dealer that there were 2 TSBs issued which they were not even aware of.
It's too bad because the truck has so much potential but in my opinion they made the mistake of releasing it too early expecting us to be their guinea pigs and help them fix the numerous problems. Not me, I havn't got time for that nonsense.
For those of you that are fortunate enough to not experience any of these problems yet, you probably will I hate to say.They all come out of the same hole. Just because they are built in different plant locations does not mean a thing.
Mine has 800 miles on it and it goes in to the dealer on Monday the 22nd. I told them to get a hold of ford as I will not be taking it back until every issue with it is resolved so I'll post the outcome next week.
Looks like another silverado for me coming soon.

Last edited by rayway; 03-17-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 AM
BreezyRacer
Freshman User
I heard that Silverados were perfect except for the motors and thier embarassing and loud piston slap. I understand that GM is buying back a lot of those. There are class action suits too. Maybe if you hurry you can get in on one of those suits! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Night Hooter
Freshman User
Hi Ray, the only way to disable the DRLs is to pull out the relay under the hood on the driver side. See your owners manual on page 200 relay R201 the middle one on the right side looking from above.

I'd tried it on my F150 it seems to work, the DRL doesn't come on and all the lights seems to function properly, but i don't know if there is any sensors that will detect that the DRL are not working? As for as i know i'd ask my dealer about it too and they said no mods for the DRL

Will

Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 PM
dusty1
Senior User
Ok, now the $100,000,000 question. Do the USA models have that relay, and if not, can we pop a relay in if we want DRLs?

Quick Reply: How to turn lights off??