1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:00 PM
reddogczar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another newbie

First of all thank you for putting your efforts in words so people like me will have something to look onto for advice. I recently volunteered to rebuild a 53 F100 for my father. The truck has been stripped and a Mustang II IFS has been installed and along with a mid 80's GM rear end. We'll be installing a mid 70's 350 with a Turbo 350 tranny. The body is in fairly good condition with just a few repairs that need to be made.

Current projects:

Getting the motor and transmission mounts installed. Mocking the master cylinder up along with setting the lines in and putting a Mustang gas tank.

If anyone has any advise or pointers please let me know. I just hope I dont get to far over my head so I'll be looking here for all kinds of advise.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2004, 07:33 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Another newbie

Reddog,

It's great to see another F-100 get put back on the road. I'm also using the 350/350 combination in my F-3, but don't expect these guys to embrace that project since this is a FORD site. I'd be happy to swap stories with you on the 350/350 offline if you wish. I think you will find help here on most anything except the GM drivetrain and it's good to have you here. Good luck on your project...

Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 AM
reddogczar
New User
GreatNorthWoods,

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I will take you up on it. I realize that the 350 combo is not the first choice on this site, however I stuck with this combo because that was what the other guy talked "Pop" into. Changing now would be an expense that I cant afford.

Reddogczar

Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Reddog,

I had a similar problem. Already had the engine sitting in a corner and from there it was just a matter of economics since I'm trying to build on a budget. I think these guys have convinced me, however, that if anything ever happens to the engine it will be Ford next time all the way. I recently sold my 65 Mustang with with high performance 289 and 4 speed. If it hadn't been restored, I would like to have used that combo in my 48. I've had my eye on a Lincoln that's been sitting for awhile and if I can get it cheap and find a place behind my garage to put it, I might save it for a rainy day...

Old 03-09-2004, 11:01 AM
chromedaddyo
Junior User
Welcome aboard. Sounds like the hard work is mostly done and the devil is in the details for you. My blood runs Ford Blue, but as far as I am concerned IT'S ALL NUTS AND BOLTS! My buds have street rod Fords and most use GM driveline due to budget and interchangeability.

If they tried to used Ford stuff they would still be figuring out which trans fits what?! LOL

I have found this membership to be a helpfull, opinionated (to say the least!) and very knowlegeble lot. Don't be afraid to post questions and be prepared for answers.

Dave