Oil & Lubrication  

Why is everyone so against AMSOIL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is everyone so against AMSOIL?

guys im real bored at work today, this is the first time ive been in this forum.. and it stands out to a Newbie.. like an "anti-AMSOIL Cult" around here.... i realize i have not been around to read all the post that formed ya'lls strong opinion.. but from what i can see.. you have a sticky thread saying "no AMSoil Dealers..or customrs for that fact..WTF?".. it does not say any other dealers cant sell there product? and customers too? wow.. wouldnt it be more fair to just Prohibit any talk on the subject.. dont you see now your only allowed to give neg. info, or your considered a dealer or customer at the leasted and banned or your thread is closed.... Wow.. this is all amazing to me...... seems a little one sided around here:

Im sure your all figuring im a dealer by now cause you probably dont like what im saying and looks like youve taken care of people posting what you dont want to hear by asking if there a dealer.. 3 posts later the moderator closes the thread? Im not a dealer.. i dont think AMSOIL is any better or worse than anything else.. i do think its expensive, i do not know if it is worth paying for? I have used it and others in the past...... from all the negative reading around here.. i think ya'll convinced me never to use it again cause it dont pass certain tests.. so job accomplished! i do realize im getting some pretty one sided info here.. but still i doubt id pay the high cost for the oil that doesnt meet the standard... But i cant belive the restrictions ya'll impose on people around here... What does a guy have to do to be a preferred AMSOIL customer anyway.. i have no idea.. but i doubt its an oath of allegiance to defend there name on a forum to an unacceptable level.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
marklawrence
New User
JetJock,

I'm new here, but I don't think anyone here hates AMSOil products. Their oil is just fine. The issue is the "dealers." AMSOil is organized not completely unlike Amway - a bit of a pyramid scheme where everyone is a distributor. Next thing you know, everyone in the universe is selling oil. Google "amsoil" and you'll find there's about 250 web pages out there, all with the same 50 pages of information. It gets old.

It's not exactly clear what all the information means, either. Some is good info, some is self-serving sales hype, and there are always concerns that some is just wrong. If you see info on the Chevron web page, personally I think it's pretty likely to be correct, there's just too many attorneys who would love to take on big oil. But if BillyBob has a web page that says AMSOil lasts 82% longer than Delvac-1, well, who's gonna take on BillyBob?

The real bottom line for me is these guys have access to hundreds of thousands of words of canned oil hype, and they post it at the slightest provocation. Seeming at first to be just another guy running around in his ford truck, quickly they turn out to be just another user car salesman.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Delta
Senior User
I am new here also and I don't want to speak for the people who run the site. However, they would probably agree with me that posting here is a privilege not a right. It seems that Amsoil people have abused that privilege. When you abuse a privilege, you lose it.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:01 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the problem. They come in here and hijack threads, spouting their propaganda. The way I see it, people come here for real world advice, not constant amsoil propaganda. They can get that from innumerable other places on the web. That's what makes FTE special.

As for the product itself, I have my doubts. I have never seen anything to prove that it is any better than regular old dino oil. There, I said it. In fact, from some of the UOA's I've seen on this site and others, I'd say that dino might actually protect your engine better. There was one link where they were testing M1 versus Amsoil, and the Amsoil dropped from a TBN of 12 to 3.3 in 4000 miles! I sure wouldn't want to run the stuff for the 35,000 that they recommend. If anybody asks I'll post the link, it was in one of the recent threads.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 AM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
From what I have seen Amsoil can be discussed normally until someone with connections to Amsoil joins in.
Simple questions or opinions about Amsoil claims or products cause the Amsoil people to start spiting out rhetoric and propaganda that may not even have anything to do with the matter being discussed.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Maybe we could have a special Amsoil only forum for these folks to keep them out of the regular forum. You could have it set up so that as soon as a post has the word Amsoil or other key words, and certain posters, it would automatically be moved to the Amsoil Only forum.

BTW. One post above asked why other's are not banned from promoting their products on FTE. I believe the general forum rules do ban posts selling products.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't see a benefit of having Amsoil people on FTE!!
So, I'm against having a separate form for Amsoil people!!!
As mentioned in a previous post, they have plenty of websites
now, without FTE!!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
FTE, like most forums on the web is adverising supported. It is free to us. Don't you think it is a little unfair for a business person to use this site for personal gain without paying for it?

Jim

Old 03-03-2004, 11:40 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Bob Ayers
Personally, I don't see a benefit of having Amsoil people on FTE!!
So, I'm against having a separate form for Amsoil people!!!
As mentioned in a previous post, they have plenty of websites
now, without FTE!!!!
"AMSOIL People"... thanks for the demonstration.. of why i posted this thing... how are AMSOIL people any differnt.. and who are amsoil people.. i have amsoil in one of my quads.. am i an Amsoil person?... should i be on this board? Should "Chevy people" be allowed?

Old 03-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally posted by jetjock16
"AMSOIL People"
Definition: Amsoil People -- People that have been brainwashed
into believing the "get rich quick" scheme of the Amsoil multi-level
marketing company!!!

I DID show them respect by calling them "people"....

Old 03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Originally posted by jimandmandy
FTE, like most forums on the web is adverising supported. It is free to us. Don't you think it is a little unfair for a business person to use this site for personal gain without paying for it?

Jim
Good point! I forgot to figure the cost factor. They would be taking up bandwidth. Nix my comment about a special forum.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:14 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
Originally posted by jetjock16
" have amsoil in one of my quads.. am i an Amsoil person?... should i be on this board? Should "Chevy people" be allowed?
No you’re not an Amsoil person. You simply use the product and there is nothing wrong with that. You have not hijacked any threads discussing the oil in an attempt to quiet any non believers or to promote the oil with ridiculous propaganda and a condescending attitude.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:22 PM
gillwood
New User
I am probably going to have to get out the steel underwear if I post this,but here goes anyway. After reading some of the posts by SOME of the Amsoil folks, I just feel sorry for them. Or maybe pity would be a better term.
20 or so years ago I worked in a shop next to a guy who became one of the first Amsoil dealers. Then it was kind of a cool thing, cutting edge stuff. I never used any ( way too expensive for a working stiff) except for their gas additive in an old Buick I had at the time. Now in 2004, as another person has posted, you can better or equal the performance of the majority of their products with a $1 a qt oil from the local Walmart! Or Mobil 1 at the Target for $3.38!
Their time has come and gone, and they just do not realize it.
How sad.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Jeff726
Freshman User
I may just convert my Ranger to Durablend anyways. Only $2.12/qt at Walmart, lol.

AMSOIL seems good, but too expensive and I am uncomfy with leaving anything in for THAT long.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally posted by Jeff726

AMSOIL seems good, but too expensive and I am uncomfy with leaving anything in for THAT long.
That's my thinking too. I LOVE changing my oil. Sometimes if I am almost to 3 months I'll change it if I am bored! Heck I just changed mine the other day and it had only been 2 months! If I used AMSOIL I would be bored and never have anything to do! LoL!

Plus, they are a little pushy and most times ignorant. IMHO.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Why is everyone so against AMSOIL?