1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:52 PM
hobert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to throw some more fuel on the fire,
Like 01f350 said most if not all big trucks on the road have front blocks between the spring and axle. They also do not have a track bar or anything along that line. The springs are about 6" across though, and the axle is about 8" wide. There is no plate under the axle or on top of the spring for the u bolts to go through the hole are cast right into the axle. The center bolt is about the same size as one of our u-bolts, and the u-bolts are about 2 times as thick.

What jade97 posted is right out of the state inspection manual, i've seen that as well.

I think the justify the big trucks because it is bolted to the spring with the centerbolt like an added minni spring pack like edge sells. When the say blocks I think they meen the ones used in the rear that have a dimpel on the one side to except the stock centerbolt, and a nub that sticks out the other side to act as a centerbolt.

V10DoubleTow all I got to say is pictures, pictures, and more pictures. I have a 4x4 quad if that will work better.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:55 PM
hobert
Senior User
Oh yeah my one buddy has a old F-150 that he uses in the feilds and woods around here. I guy gave him a set of swampers for it but they didn't fit. He used blocks to lift the front of it but they were 2x4's pounded inbetween the coils. It lands a little rough but it worked.

Old 02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
01f350
Senior User
I understand what JJ is saying, I have taken a few physics classes in my day, but what about mini leaf packs. This would gave you the same situation as a block, being that both are only attached by the center bolt. If you are using a typical lift block, which is just placed between the spring and axle I under stand the problem. However with it bolted to the spring pack I feel this is a lot safer.
I am also familiar with PA's inspection laws. I am also aware of how vague they are. Here is something for thought. If I cut a section of spring from a tri-axle and bolted that to the springs on my truck would that be legal. Its basically just a block of steel, but it is a spring.
I never said this was the best idea in the world, but for what i do with my truck it works just fine. And as long as I can get my truck inspected I'm happy.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
anfo
Senior User
why not be safe and buy the 3" or 5" spring shackles off ebay for $150-$225 instead?
3" ($155 or buy it now for $195)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33585
5" ($190 or buy it now for $225)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33585

These are not expensive at all and far safer.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:41 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 01f350
I understand what JJ is saying, I have taken a few physics classes in my day, but what about mini leaf packs. This would gave you the same situation as a block, being that both are only attached by the center bolt. If you are using a typical lift block, which is just placed between the spring and axle I under stand the problem. However with it bolted to the spring pack I feel this is a lot safer.
I am also familiar with PA's inspection laws. I am also aware of how vague they are. Here is something for thought. If I cut a section of spring from a tri-axle and bolted that to the springs on my truck would that be legal. Its basically just a block of steel, but it is a spring.
I never said this was the best idea in the world, but for what i do with my truck it works just fine. And as long as I can get my truck inspected I'm happy.

01F350.. yes your points are valid.to a degree the fact that the differance between a block of steel and a spring IS.... the block of steel(like the spring as you say) will lift the truck 1/4 inch"(thats worth while!).. while that add a leaf will lift the truck 2".... now if your block of steel is 2" thick.. then thats allot more leverage than the 1/4" thick add a leaf.. get it?

. the differance is the spring packs require you to re-bolt the pack... so the spring bolt is all the way through.. most blocks dont.. If you rig something that is bolted to the spring youd probably be allright as long as its not too much leverage(not to tall of block)... its just when there not bolted together it gives a point to fold on with more leverage.. like if the u-bolts broke with no blocks they would break at the top of the axle.. if it had unbolted blocks it would break where the spring block came together.. a couple inches higher than the axle.. longer arm.. more leverage.......

Old 03-02-2004, 05:23 AM
99SuperduperV10
New User
I wanted to level my 99 f-350 x code sprung v10 so I went to a salvage yard and got a pair of springs from who knows what . I just measured the width to match them up and measured how thick they were each leaf was about an inch thick so I cut them down to about 5 inches long and installed one in both leaf pacs bolted them together with a new center pin and also purchased con-ferr 1 inch shackle kit made for the super duty I have about $80 bucks in it and works great .

Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 AM
stealth1
Senior User
So adding a 2" block to the front with new u-bolts would be a bad idea?? I wasn't looking for anything above that amount. I know it's to each his own but how bad could it be?

Old 03-02-2004, 11:43 AM
1BADF350_4XCREW7.3
Senior User
Good words from an old friend: "Just 'cause you can do it, don't mean you should..."

It always amazes me that guys will spend loads of dough on a truck, pay a premium for audio gear, all sorts of doo-dads to dress it up and wanna go cheap to get it in the air a bit.

We're really talking about a safety issue here... nobody is going to stop you from going down to Home Depot and hacksawing a couple of tubes to slide under your spring pack. If you want advice on how to do it the right (safe) way, we're all ready to lend a hand based on our experience. If all you want is a couple of inches to clear a size larger tire, shackle drop brackets are an inexpensive and safe way to get 'er done. I wouldn't let my dog ride in a truck with front blocks, much less anybody who meant anything to me....

Old 03-02-2004, 02:59 PM
stealth1
Senior User
I think I'll listen to the safety minded people here and do it the right way. You are correct in one aspect, spend a ton of money on some things and skimp on others does not seem right. Anyway I want my family to be safe. I would hate for something foolish to happen because I tried to save a couple hundred bucks. A insurance deductible to fix a wreck would be more than shackles....

Old 03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
1BADF350_4XCREW7.3
Senior User

I think you'll be happier in the end IMHO.. Peace of mind has its benefits as well.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jetjock16
You cant have blocks on the front and you can on the rear for the EXACT same reason your front end needs a lateral support made of steel(TRAC BAR or PANROD BAR).. AND your rear end does not.. cause your rear is not subject to the side load
Track bars are not needed for lateral support on leaf sprung trucks. I've had lots of trucks that use leaf springs and no track bar. Look under a 79 F-250 or F-350 or under any older Chevy. The reason there's one in the front and not in the rear is that you don't get bump steer from the rear.

Ford could easily have designed the front spring/shackle combination to make it capable of providing lateral support without a track bar if they had chosen to but it wouldn't drive as good.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Some vehicles stock run a rear pan-rod bar.. most race type vehicles run rear pan rod bars to have adjustable control of chassis roll, corner handling, and driver input response... so maybe they dont help lateral load.. but they do more than correct bumpsteer.... was trying to get a point across, and it was accomplished.. now we both wont have to deal with an 8000lb vehicle with front blocks and cheap U-bolts sharing our roads.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
ohh yeah an i had a 79 F250, and was fairly well oriented with the suspension.. yeah i did not have track bar up front.. most things get better with time.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:42 PM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by stealth1
So adding a 2" block to the front with new u-bolts would be a bad idea?? I wasn't looking for anything above that amount. I know it's to each his own but how bad could it be?

I want to know this too. If new custom U-bolts are installed, then is a 2" block such a bad thing?

Old 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM
2FiDDy
Senior User
Jetjock has hit all the necessary points. I totally agree with him and would not even attempt to put blocks in the front.

Quick Reply: Front blocks