Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

Guys... an Okie needs some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys... an Okie needs some advice...

hello fellow Southerners.... I am looking for a place to go and spend a week doing some fishing, camping, hiking, and maybe some rock climbing (actual rock climbing, not in a vehicle). Anyways, no hotels are necessary, as we will be camping and hiking. Actually, the only restriction is that I need this to be in the southern area of the state, if any of you guys know where Bolivar, MO is, that is where we will be leaving from. I have heard of this Mark Twain Forest, anyone ever been there?? Anyone know of what section of it to go to? Or do any of you guys have any better suggestions?? Thanks guys (oops, and gals, )

Old 02-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Nobody wanna help an Okie or what?? Please???

Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM
trouble
Senior User
Traxxis, around Ft Wood they have some rock climbing areas , A couple rivers run around there with some good bluffs to play on , i'm on the north side of the mark Twain not much here

Old 02-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Traxxis,

Just saw this post. I'm going to Bolivar in the morning. My parents live there, since the wife is out of town the kids and I are going to visit.

Try www.conservation.state.mo.us

Here is the link to the atlas
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/atlas/

They have a conservation atlas that allows you to search through all conservation land.
Some places I have gone (a long time ago) and liked. Elephant Rocks state park (Don't think there is rock climbing there) Johnson's Shut In. Taum Sauk mountain is nice as well.
These are all a couple of hours East of Bolivar.

You might try contacting Springfield Nature Center.
Look here http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/areas/cnc/springfd/

They should have some good information for you. They have a book on hiking trails that may be helpful.

If you want a lake to fish, Pomme de Terre Lake is at Bolivar. Truman Lake is popular. Table Rock Lake is very popular as well. That lake is on the MO/AK border.

If you like canoeing, the Current and Jacks Fork rivers are some of the best in the country.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. I work at Conservation as well (Computer geek) But I can send you some of our free pubs if you like. Shoot there may be a way to order them on our web site.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
hey, thanks guys, I was starting to wonder if this was an anti-okie forum, lol, j/k. I appreciate it, and will be checking out those links shortly. And I may be requesting that information from you...

Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Harrier, looked at the site, and I do appreciate it. Well, here is what we will be doing, mainly, we will park the truck, and hike (maybe 5 miles, nothing too long), take the fishing poles to the a river and see if we can get us some trout. So basically, where can a guy go, that has some trails (as I do not like making new trails, too much impact on the environment, and too much impact on me, lol), and catch some trout. Oh yeah, and we will also be camping and building a fire, is that restricted up there? Also, what is the weekly fishing license for out of staters? Thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Here is the location for permit prices.
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/about/permits/

There is a daily fishing for $5.50 a day
Non resident fishing for $35
Trout for $7

Here is the link to Missouri’s Trout Plan
http://www.mdc.state.mo.us/documents...trout_plan.pdf

I was going to copy excerpts, but it is a pdf and will not allow me to copy and paste. Page 8 starts the current plan explanation. There are 4 trout parks that stock 10-14 inch rainbow nightly from March 1st through October 31st.

Here is a link to trout parks
http://www.mdc.state.mo.us/areas/hatchery/
They seem to have some hiking trails. Not too long though.

Lake Taneycomo near Branson is another trout haven.

As far as fires go, different areas have different regulations, but I think generally it is OK.

Hope this helps.
Joe

Old 03-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Well, the TableRock lake area is where we will be going (Mark Twain Nat. Forest), mainly, what river in that part of the forest has some trout, and trails?