1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4--What wheels are pullin'?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 08:35 PM
flyinfeathers
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the truck in 4x4 and you have limited slip diff., are all 4 wheels pulling. I know that the LS will only kick in when the dominant rear wheel slips but do both front wheels pull when 4x4 in engaged?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM
rsjohnsn
Senior User

Unless you have installed a locker in the front there will only be 1 wheel pulling. With both wheels locked, it would be almost impossible to steer. You could install an air locker and disengage the front end when turning aspecially on the trails in tight maneuvers.

Scott

Old 01-01-2002, 08:55 PM
flyinfeathers
Freshman User

Then why do they call it 4 wheel drive? I've had two 4x4's in the past but never really new or looked into this. Well, thanks for the info.

By the way rsjohnsn, how's that oil doing?

Old 01-01-2002, 09:01 PM
flyinfeathers
Freshman User

Something else. In the SD's with Electric Shift On-the-Fly, they have the manual locking hubs. So say the ESOF goes out and you have to use the locking hubs. Does this automatically put the truck in 4 low or 4 high. Maybe a stupid question but is there anyway to switch from 4 low to high when the ESOF has gone out and the manual hubs are engaged?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2002, 09:30 PM
SSvec
New User

Ford super duty 4x4's only: with limited slip rear and electronic SOF, when you sit in your cab and engage the 4 high mode, the front operates like a standard differential with pulse vaccuum operated engagement of the two front wheels, when you get out and lock the hubs manually, BOTH front wheels are locked (just as if someone temporarily wielded the axle). locking the hubs does NOT engage the 4low mode. if you have the manual on-the-floor shifter, then when you engage 4wheel drive you must lock the hubs, because there is no vacuum operated engaging mechanism, so if you don't lock the hubs, on this system, then there is no 4wheel drive, it simply does not engage.
so, if you have limited slip rear end and lock the hubs then, yes, you will have true 4wheel drive with all 4 wheels getting constant power.

Old 01-01-2002, 09:40 PM
flyinfeathers
Freshman User

So let me get this straight. If your ESOF fails then you have no 4x4 because locking the hubs by themselves will not electronically engage the 4x4?

I was just under the impression that they put the manual hubs on the trucks w/ESOF as a back up system. So if the ESOF fails you can a least manually lock the hubs and still have some form of 4x4 incase you're in a sticky situation. Please make sure I'm correct on this assumption.

Thanks buddy

Old 01-01-2002, 09:53 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sorry, I understand it differently. The ESOF locks the transfer case in while sending a signal the pulse vacuum hubs to lock. The manual override is there in case this system fails to lock the hubs. You can override it. Really two different things are happening.

flyinfeathers, I can read your question 2 ways. If the ESOF (meaning the pulse vacuum) goes out and you have to manually lock the hubs then you can still select between 4HI and 4LO. because your transfer case is locked. (getting power from your mighty V10)
But IF your ESOF goes out and you can't lock your transfer case then you're SOL. You can manually lock your hubs but no power will get to 'em. So how do you know if your transfer case won't lock in? I'm not sure, ask NoMo. I think that the 4x4 light won't light or maybe it will blink. Again, I'm not sure. As to the front wheels turning under power, unless you install an aftermarket locker you're getting power to one wheel. (ala Scott) Which wheel? Ask NoMo...
So why do they call it 4 wheel drive? Same reason they call your truck that will tow 10K# and carry 1900 lbs. (if you own an X) a 3/4 ton.

BTW, a LS will shift power back an forth to the drive wheel with the most traction. Don't expect great things from your Ford unit. If you're going out like you said you were in your other post, look into some GOOD lockers such as ARB air locker front and a Detroit rear. Those are simply suggestions, you should get your truck stuck a couple times to help you "bond" with it, then look for some good stuff!

Old 01-01-2002, 11:05 PM
abendx
Posting Guru

ok... my two cents.....

the esof is a vacuume (sp?) pump.... when your hubs are in auto and you engage the esof, you will be in 4wd via the vacuume. now, lets say your vacuume pump breaks... you are sol right? WRONG! you get out and put the hubs in the LOCKED position. now you can operate the esof and have 4wd (high or low)... the manual hub is a backup to the vacuume pump to engage the axel, you will still need to engage the 4wd via the esof switch to engage the trasfer case.

when the hubs are in auto the esof switch controls everything (transfer case and axel), when in locked position, the esof only engages the transfer case since the axel has been manually locked on.

Old 01-01-2002, 11:09 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 00:20 AM (EST)]That's what I said. Man, put a lift kit on a truck and you think you own the whole da*m place. You did say it better though.

Are you squared away now flyinfeathers!! Lock position is a backup in case they don't lock in auto. You can't use 4wd even if you manually lock your hubs if your transfer won't engage. You front axle is not turning when in 2HI. Birds fly south for the winter cause they have more sense than humans. AMSoil is a joke. K&N does NOT give big HP. You can't nail Jello to a tree. Don't let the dog "guard" your food. Cats loved to be bathed. Trucks with a GVW less than 8000# are for girls. Don't eat yellow snow.

You should be up to snuff now!

Old 01-01-2002, 11:24 PM
abendx
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 00:25 AM (EST)]monsta.. i know, but i had to read and reread your post seven times to understand what you were saying..... lol. i am no genus, but come on... i am no dummy either and their might be a few guys here that fall into that catagory (hint, hint: the desiel guys ).

and did i miss something???? monsta.... how come i can't nail jello to a tree???? lol.

Old 01-02-2002, 07:00 AM
Edmo
Senior User

I'll take this "ESOF/auto/manual hub thing" to the next level...

Does Ford think my auto hub system is going to give out? They obviously think the transfer case portion of ESOF works good enough not to need a backup, however they designed a manual backup for the auto hub portion. This makes me wonder.

Some questions that arise...
1) Is it a cold temp thing where the auto hub vacuum lines could/will become clogged with ice? I live in Alaska and haven't noticed any problems with the cold, however I haven't had my truck in any water.

2) While on slick ground and the system in auto is there a chance you could have the front hubs inadvertently unlock and cause binding or other problems? Maybe when rocking a stuck vehicle back & forth?

OBTW, If you get it cold enough you can nail jello to a tree...

Edmo

2001 F250 CC 4x4 LB, V-10, auto trans, 4.30 LS

Old 01-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

>OBTW, If you get it cold enough you can nail jello to a
>tree...

You must get real bored up there in Alaska.

My guess is that both of those could possibly happen hence the auto/lock option on the hubs...

Old 01-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Hey abendx, I went to your gallery again. Man that truck of yours is SSWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEET! I know you know that but I just had to tell you. That was and still is my dream truck. White F350 CC LWB V10 lifted!!

Jealousy abounds

Old 01-02-2002, 11:05 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru

Ok abendx,
monsta may think your truck is sweet (I do too BTW), but it could be sweeter, DIESEL POWER

Les

Old 01-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Hey, you guys smell somethin'? Oh gawd, it's a diesel

Quick Reply: 4x4--What wheels are pullin'?