460 carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 07:34 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
460 carb

I just bought a 75 F-250 with a 460 and the carb looks like it was just replaced with an over the counter rebuild. When I lean into the secondarys it boggs out like there is no fuel getting through or something. It has been 25 years since I looked inside of the only other carb like this one. It is a stock looking motorcraft. I **** to replace it when I get funds but I would just like to get it working for now. I tried to do a search but the site was too busy.

And on an unrelated note I started a thread about putting a standard transmission in and got lots of conflicting info. Some guys have done the swap several times with no problems and other guys seem to have always used the spacer or modified pilot bushing. Nobody seems to know why the difference. I also wanted to know if I could use the 370 flywheel and bellhousing in a pickup. Thanks

Old 02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
scroob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the carb have mechanical or vacuum advance? If mech, maybe you are getting into it too early.

Could also be too retarded timing, vacuum advance not working, etc.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:09 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 370 flywheel is ex. balanced and won't work on your motor if it is a '75 they are also drilled and tapped for a 13" clutch with big splines. If you need help with the tranny swap PM me and I'll help you out.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I am sure it is vacuum secondarys. It has the air flappers in the top of the secondarys that lift what appears to be some sort of needle. I am assuming much like a quadrajet. I haven't got after the truck with a timing light yet but it sure sems like carburator. I went to get it and trailered my F-150 home behind it. It ran fine as long as I didn't mash all the way down on the gas, then It just died out. It could be in the advance but would be one of those unique problems like a broken wire on the pickup coil that makes contact until the advance plate gets fully rotated. But just from the feel it is no fuel in the secondarys. If it warms up a little this week I will get into it. The truck is barfing oul out the front of the intake too and I need to replace the gasket.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:48 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I went to get a kit yesterday and since the tag is gone I need to ID the carb. Does anyone here know how to tell the difference between a 4100 and a 4150? The parts book showed that it could be either on a 1975 460.