General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I miss the Pig Pen

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 02:38 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss the Pig Pen

General Conversasion just isn't the same. Kind of mindless. I mean "how many dogs do you have?, Is my girlfriend hot?" I don't mean to offend anyone. It's just not the same.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:41 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah,, you're right, Matt

Last edited by grapegravy; 02-06-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Umm, how do I say this lightly?

Drop it!

Old 02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
jeffthompson
Elder User
In most forms of advertising, sponsors are happy for every chance they get to pitch their products.

This board seems to be trying to drive people away, as if it will increase income.

Don't really get it

Old 02-06-2004, 02:45 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
at first it was kinda dissappointing but now im starting to see its not a big deal. i mean all the discussions in there usually caused more problems than it solved. which sometimes i had a part of especially on redneck/confederate flag issues. but think about-its just something on the computer that you can type meaningless things into....its kinda stupid really.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone : Please read the text underneath the PIG PEN title.

No amount of complaining will re-open it.
It is one thing to objectively discuss the Pig Pen with FTE Administration by your input but, it is another thing to keep asking to re-open it.

Remember this :

It was fine until .....People abused the posting rules.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:56 PM
whistler
Senior User
Originally posted by Mil1ion
.....People abused the posting rules.
Speaking about posting rules...what is up with the immersion thread?

Whistler

Old 02-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The original question by the poster asked about the actual physical act of being baptised.
Personally I have witnessed 5 of them.

There wan't any discussion of religion by him.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
No offense to anyone either..
But this is a TRUCK website
If you want something of that nature... there are most likely forums for them
Just feel honored that it was open as long as it was, because it was a "gift"...

Old 02-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I've been wanting to say that so long Andy.....thanks.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
Hey, I tell it like it is.
I may not be liked around here, but I do respect the admins and I will back them up with their decisions

Old 02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
just a thought.

i spent more time helping people in other forums because of the pig pen. let me elaborate. if i was involved in a discussion in the pig pen i would usually stop by to check it out every 4-6 hours or so. after this, i would usually browse around the other forums to see what was going on. now, i only stop by FTE about every other day or so.

P.S. about 15% of my surfing time is now spent on FTE. compared with about 40% before.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:18 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never thought the pig pen made much sense in FTE. I'm here for Ford trucks and Ford tech. Same reason I hardly post here in general. They run a pretty tight ship here and I knew it was matter of time before pigpen was shut down. I belive admin said it was a only on for experimental basis to begin with to see how it worked out..

Back to Fords...

Old 02-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Consider this then, not to be rude or anything, but you have been here for 3 months (tomorrow )

You don't know what it was like befor the pen. People were nice to each other, nobody cared what party you followed, nobody cared if you were gay or whatever, because you kept it to yourself. How many good members have we lost because they came seeking an answer, and stopped by the pig pen, saw a thread that said that all rednecks were smelly, they got angry and left without getting their question answered, and now they lost a great resource.

I personally recommend FTE, and I have friends that post here. I don't spend time in the PP because of the bad things that come out in there. I don't like knowing what party you belong to, I don't care. I'm just glad you drive a Ford truck, and that I might be able to help you troubleshoot it. Some of the users don't even own ford trucks, and could care less if FTE gets a bad rap from their posts.

I volunteer a lot of my time to FTE, and I am happy to do it, I would much rather spend that time answering tech questions than cleaning up the pig pen, or typing responses as to why its closed down.

good nuf'

Old 02-06-2004, 05:22 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my comments as an idividual, NOT as a Moderator:
IMHO.....

FTE without the PP tends to emphasize what we have in common: Ford trucks
FTE with the PP tends to emphasize what we do not have in common: politics, religion, etc.

There is an ABUNDANCE of sites one can visit to discuss/debate such subjects if that is your inclination.

FTE existed as a strong and growing community for years without a PP.
I believe it can continue both if the PP is never reopened.

I do NOT negate nor dismiss the frustration that some might feel with the PP being locked. But the question I ask is: do you come here for the FTE community or the PP community? In other words; what defines FTE for you? FTE, or the FTE PP?

Several folks have posted that absent the PP they will not visit nearly as often or maybe never at all (or something to the affect). I wonder, if, when they first visited FTE, what if there had been no PP? Would they have never returned? Or, would they have stayed and been active participants, never missing what they had never tasted?

It is now obvious that despite:
a) being provided the guidelines at time of registration
b) being reminded of the guidelines on occasion
c) having threads locked because of violations of the guidelines.
d) having ready access to the guidelines on every page at FTE

the guidelines were not followed with sufficient frequency to warrant the shutdown of the PP. I'm afraid that despite whatever best efforts might go into creating some sort of new-and-improved PP, we're destined for the same thing. Politics, religion, abortion, gun control, etc. These subjects have NOTHING to do with Ford trucks and by their very nature are subjects that WILL bring out the worst in people. They are subjects of belief and subjects of passion. I'm just not convinced that such discussions, in the long run, and taking a "big picture" approach, add to the sense of community at FTE. I had a go at the PP a few times. It just wasn't worth it. I can - and will - argue with the best of them. But, I just didn't want that here. While arguing and debating, I began to feel like I WAS in a PP. And, as I have said elsewhere, if you wrestle with a pig, when you are finished, the pig is happy and you are muddy. Well, nobody was "a pig" but I was wrestling in the PP, and I did feel muddy. Just not what I wanted or needed at FTE.
I understand and respect the fact that some individuals really enjoy the PP and keep a level head, and don't violate the guidelines. But....it's kind of a case of "what you see is what you get" with the PP now closed.

I have been at FTE for 4 years. There has ALWAYS been a strong sense of community. The growth of the site demonstrates that SOMETHING here is being done right.
Over the 4 years I have been here, the two MAIN things that I have read time and time again;
The high standards and the sense of community; IMO, that's what keeps FTE at the top of the heap.

OK, putting my Moderator cap back on - whatever Admin decides I intend to support 100%.
This is my favorite site, with some of the best people I know!
I ain't goin' no where!

Quick Reply: I miss the Pig Pen