Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

is the Tian really better ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:01 PM
70boss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW

OK, I stumbled across this comparison in my reasearch on trucks.

Couple things...BlackF250... Sorry, but you need to get your glasses checked the only plastic bed is on the FORD SPORTRAC, the Nissan has a Factory applied spray in bedliner..First in the industry

The Titan, even when saddled with an extra 1000 pounds in the bed, squarely beats the super slow F150....so much for the weight theory

If you think the Ford responds to a few miles on the clock...you should drive a Nissan Endurance 5.6 powered vehicle.....immense gain.

I have been a die-hard Ford fan for many years, i have owned F150's, Expeditions, and most recently a PSD Excursion...Not to mention the over 2 dozen classic Mustangs and Shelbys in the past 10 years. But I am tired of making excuses for the powertrain of Ford.

Why should you pay $895 extra for a lower power engine than the standard 5.6 in the Titan?

The Nissan engine is light years ahead of the 5.4.

The similar engine to the 5.6 would be the Cobra Ford motor,

All Aluminum, 6 bolt mains, 32 valve. No BS, no compromises...no excuses.

All this and it is less expensive option for option.....hmmmm

Old 02-14-2004, 04:28 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5.6 is just a racing engine stuffed in a truck body. When you compare component for component, Ford is ahead of the Nissan. Nissan uses a 8.5" rear axle, which explains its ground clearance, and you think that will handle 9,500 lbs.??? Ford uses a 9.75" rear axle, now that's more like it. Ford's frame is also more stout, making more weight for the truck. The 5.4L needs to be tuned on up to around the Hemi's levels, say around 350hp and 400lbs. tq.

Last edited by MW95F250; 02-14-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
70boss
New User
Sorry...but you are wrong

The titan engine produces more power in every way and gets it to the ground in every way better than the Ford. The Titan uses a DANA axle, and was designed for the truck. Ring gear size has nothing to do with longevity.

Ford should get the power, but they can't or wont, and it is painfully obvious the truck is the slowest Full size out there. The crap about weight is a non-issue...even balasted the Titan stomps the Ford.....

Towing.....Hmmm....Just named tow vehicle of the year by by Trailer Boat magazine.

The two trucks are very close.....the only thing cut and dry is the engine and trans combo is superior in the Nissan.

For all of you Ford guys wishing and hoping the 5.4 can somehow muster up the energy to compete with the Titan...Forget it, unless you have a supercharger, the 5.4 is a non-issue, and non competitive.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:41 PM
70boss
New User
"But not as good as John Deere diesels."

Hmmm......who makes John Deere Diesel Compact tractors??? Can we say "YANMAR"....Japanese.....

Old 02-14-2004, 07:36 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
The Titan is quicker than the F150 ok, but is it as quick with a 7000 pound trailer hooked up? With Fords flat torque curve I seriosuly doubt it. Nissan will never be a threat to Ford, because Ford has too many loyalists, GM has too many loyalists, and theres even people that say "Mopar or No car". They will be doubtful about this new "Titan", I've yet to see a Titan anywhere down here, not a one. This sounds liek the same buzz that came about when the Tundra jumped on the scene, magazines give it "Rave Reviews", talkin about how the domestics need to shape up. And who won the off-road contests(for Four Wheeler and Petersons 4Wheel Off Road), the Quadrasteer Silverado in Four Wheeler. The '03 Dodge Ram won in Petersons. I guess they were shocked, because the Tundra brought up the rear in both. Exact descriptions were "Lack of low end grunt, car-like handling". This "Late Great Titan" will eventually fizzle out. Thirty years from now two guys will be sittin on the tailgate of their Chevy/Ford/Dodge truck, drinkin a cold one sayin "Hey man Remember the Titan?", and the other will say "Wasnt that a movie about a football team?" LOL sorry had to throw that in

Old 02-14-2004, 08:45 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 70boss
"But not as good as John Deere diesels."

Hmmm......who makes John Deere Diesel Compact tractors??? Can we say "YANMAR"....Japanese.....
You won't see a compact tractor diesel in a truck, so why bring
irrelevant things to the table?????

By the way, Yanmar only makes the engine, not the whole tractor, get your facts straight.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:03 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Re: Sorry...but you are wrong

Originally posted by 70boss
The titan engine produces more power in every way and gets it to the ground in every way better than the Ford. The Titan uses a DANA axle, and was designed for the truck. Ring gear size has nothing to do with longevity.
Wrong. It doesn't matter if it is a Dana or not, the bigger the ring gear the less wear the components will have when loaded. Why put something in that just will just barely tote the payload, when you can have something that handles the stresses much better???

Ford should get the power, but they can't or wont, and it is painfully obvious the truck is the slowest Full size out there. The crap about weight is a non-issue...even balasted the Titan stomps the Ford.....
Ford will get the power when they feel the time is right to add it. Rumor has it, in '06 the Ford will get a 6 spd auto, read that in another forum.

By the way, Ford has around 900 more pounds of payload than the Titan. The next closest competitor is the Chevy and it is about 600 pounds short of the Ford.

[QUOTE]Towing.....Hmmm....Just named tow vehicle of the year by by Trailer Boat magazine.[QUOTE]

Magazines only care about comfort and race car like handling and how many cupholders are in there and if the automatic butt wiper works to their satisfaction.

The two trucks are very close.....the only thing cut and dry is the engine and trans combo is superior in the Nissan.
Powerwise, yes the Kneesan is superior, as far as quality, that is yet to be determined.

For all of you Ford guys wishing and hoping the 5.4 can somehow muster up the energy to compete with the Titan...Forget it, unless you have a supercharger, the 5.4 is a non-issue, and non competitive.
The 5.4L is competitive, it is not the least powered, look at the Toyota. Chevy is even behind Ford in the HP war for 1/2 tons.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:13 AM
grey77
Senior User
WOW! this topic is really heating up.

my opinion: (talking F-150 v. Titan)

first, any new truck buyer has got to decide what they will want their truck for - work, play or combo, and then pick performance area to compare.

for work (true work, rec. towing / hauling), provided you need max. power (torque) from your vehicle, who could argue with Ford's near flat torque curve, beefy drive train & matching tranny.

for play (street power, light towing/hauling), where near max. torque is not needed, then to me the Titan has got it. But, it doesn't have a "history" yet - unless Titan owners would post experiences with their new trucks under different conditions.

for combo, well, that's a hard one because you are on the dividing line - by the way that's where I'm at. I like the get up & go of the Titan, but feel that the Ford will give me better tow/haul performance (higher torque at lower rpm's - less wear & better MPG), but the Titan has some niftier "accessories", a bit better rear seat comfort and more storage possibilities (under rear seat, behind rear seat, outside sto. box).

Offroading: HHhhuummmm ..., anyone else have input on this subject. Both are near the same weight, slight grnd. clearance difference, approx. same 4WD type system - although Titan has locking differential (+). I've seen Titan's hp/torque curve and Ford's torque curve, but not their HP curve - ideally, I would think that it would be more desirable to have more torque/hp at lower rpm's, for powering thru & over "stuff", versus having to rev up to high rpm's to get that power. My experiences with mudding, the faster your tires spin, the faster you get into more trouble.

post your actual experiences so we can stop "speculating" ... thanks.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:25 PM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Trucks are for work and play, I'd take that broad torque curve anyday...

Old 02-23-2004, 08:42 AM
TufNuf
New User
There's a good write-up on the do-all aspect in a thread titled F-150 vs Titan in this forum. Also, there's a thread on this topic over on the FreshAlloy board: http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Old 02-23-2004, 08:42 AM
TufNuf
New User
oops, hit button twice

Forum is Nissan Full Size Truck (Titan), Truck World Comparison

Last edited by TufNuf; 02-23-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Ford is certainly not in trouble. In fact, for the first time in years, they actually have something to be excited about other than trucks.
Now for the topic at hand. Of course Nissan is going to outrun the Ford. They absolutely had to in order to get some attention. Nissan can afford possible warranty issues with a more powerful motor. Ford on the other hand, absolutely can not. That is one of the biggest selling points of ford trucks, is reliability. Come out with a New Truck, engineer it right, build it right, and give it enough power, broad power, to get the job done. Once the new design Motor has been around a few years, and proven reliability, then turn up the wick a bit. Fords interior is the Quietest, best looking on the market. And I can only speculate this, that 50,000 miles down the road, The 150 will still be quiet, rattle free, and look good. The Nissan has a cheap look and feel and rattles right out of the box.
Buyers beware, do not be suckered by the faster truck. If you are buying a truck to go fast, then by all means go for it. But then be ready to be outrun by any number of other faster trucks out there. My .02 worth

P.S= recipe for fast truck that can work too.
2wd, extra cab SD, with 6.0
Banks power pack, chip, injectors.
lowering kit, wheels and tires
Approx 500hp, 750 lb-ft torque in a truck that weighs under 6000lbs, still gets 15+ mpg, runs a mid 13 quarter on street tires, and can haul or pull anything.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
RKW
New User
I didn't read every post so cut me some slack if I post something that someone already posted.

Motor Trend Mag ran a series of 1/4 mile and 0-30/0-60 elasped times on a field of trucks which included the Titan and the F-150. The Titan beat all the competition with exception of the $47,000 Dodge model with the 500 horse Viper engine. Even after they placed 820 lbs in the Titan, it still beat the ET of the Ford in the 1/4 mile. The Titan also beat Chevy's hotrod truck, the SSR, in all timed events.

(NOTE: in the end, MT named the F-150 it's the truck of the year.)

One poster to this thread stated that there wasn't historical data to compare the Titan or the F-150 because the were both in the first year of production. Thats is basically true but in the Titan's case, the frequency-of-repair records for the engine are available via the Q-45 sedan records. Infinity (Nissan) has manufactured for that model for years and it's engine is the same as the Titan's.

Last edited by RKW; 02-24-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
shakemyspeare
Senior User
The Q uses a 4.5L DOHC 32V V8, unless Nissan bored and stroked it out to 5.6L, its not the same engine as the one in the Titan/Armada/QX56. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Nissan designed the 5.6 from scratch because they felt they could justify the cost of development, since it was going into 3 different vehicles.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:52 PM
emxmagnum
Senior User
ok guys....why is everyone so obsessed with power? engines are vital parts of any vehicle, i agree. but on the matter of integrity, they are also the start of all problems. think about it, like many have said, the f 150 seems slower because its heavier, bc its built better. fact of the matter. plain and simple.

high power enines do two things...one they compromise drivetrain integrity....that flat torque curve of the 5.4 u all are doggin keeps the tranny and axles in one piece and still functioning 150k down the road. explosive power destroys things. u guys deal in diesels any? anyone who has ever driven a cummins powered dodge will say they feel stronger.. but the power is explosive off idle...result, tansmissions fail. esp the automatics. the same thing is happening to the hemi. im willin to bet that nissan has trouble too.

the second thing powerful engines do is cause people to perform
jack rabbit starts at every takeoff...the end result is once again drive train integrity is compromised.

so while the titan may have more power, so what...power isnt everything. a truck is much more than cylinders pumping...besides ford knows what they are doin....you dont become number one for no reason.

Quick Reply: is the Tian really better ?