Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Bumper Height Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Menroid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bumper Height Law

Doea anyone know what the max bumper height law is in Georgia? I live in S.E. Georgia and travel into Florida almost as much as I do in Georgia. I asked this same question in the Florida forum and the answer was 18". Just curious.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:55 AM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did some surfing around yesterday and one of the four wheel drive type magazines had a listing of the general laws for all the fifty states. They said the GA law concerning bumper height states that you can't modify from manufacture specification no more than two inches, up or down (lift or lower). I do know that this is one of those Ralph Nader soap box topics that changes about as much as the wind changes direction. I remember years ago we used to jack 'em up and drop the bumpers down to stay within legal limits. We even installed the head lights in the lowered bumper to still be legal with the headlight height laws that was in force in GA then. When all that got attention, GA enacted frame height laws. We would then install body lifts. GA enacted rocker panel or door height legislation to thwart that one. To be honest with you, I don't know where GA as a state stands on bumper and headlight laws now. The only way to know for sure is to contact the State DMV. Then you better be sure local govt. hasn't enacted some local ordinance that goes above and beyond what the state law provides. As many lifted and modified vehicles and 4WD shops as there are around here, I would say my local govt. doesn't pay much attention to you so long as you don't attract attention to yourself, if you get my drift. But just let one accident or traffic violation occur that was your fault, I guarantee they will break out the dust covered laws and find atleast one that they can charge you with to generate some revenue for the county.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Menroid
Senior User
Thanks for the input. I saw that same article about the 1 or 2 ". I don't think it would ever be brought up unless like you said there was an accident or something.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Mountain
New User
We used to get around the laws by utilizing the Grandfathered clause. There were no height restrictions that I know of til the late 70's and early 80's (post BIGFOOT 1). When the first laws came in, they only applied to post 197? something. And back then there were alot of 40's-60's on the road. Most everyone I knew had limited budgets and where building their trucks from used 4x4 drivetrains from junkyards and making their own lift blocks. Sort of like Harmon Karman did to 40's and 50's trucks, 4x4 wasn't even manufacturer option then. If you retained the original frame, then you didn't have to retitle it as new construction and comply to ALL the current laws and EPA requirements. It was just like swapping 6cyl for v8. I used to get stopped by law enforcement just to check out my old 1946 (see Has anyone seen by baby). I never acted like an idiot (at least not on the road-heh heh) I never got any static over the height or the wood bed that it had at that time. They just thought it was a cool truck and had never seen a 4x4 1946. I need to check the current laws, but you are right about it usually not being an issue if you don't act up. Of course there is always that one Barney Phife to contend with.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:49 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
From reading the GA DMV website, if you do not modify the stock bumper height (as related to the frame) , you are good to go on an older truck since the Federal laws were changed in 1972.

Note that the current Federal law states that 20 inches is the max. for cars and headlamps have to be within 24 inches of the ground. A stock Bronco II on P235/75R15s will hit over 20 inches. For a < 1972 truck it might 26 inches, I remember measuring my truck and it was under 26 in the front (rear is 31) so it was good to go.

http://www.dmvs.state.ga.us

If you follow the links, you can find all the info on-line, including registering home made trailers and muffler laws.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User
Georgia Code 40-8-6.1 G Sub paragraph (d)
It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension of any truck with a grose weight between 7,501 pounds and not more than 14,000 pounds so as to exceed 31 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame.

Sub (c) is for trucks under 7,500 pounds. (ie: F150) The only change is the measurement drops to 30 inches.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Menroid
Senior User
Thanks for all of the input, I will have to get the tape out and see where I am at. I would love to add a few more inches and stick some 49" IROK's on if I had the money but I do not want any problems with the local law.