replacing distributor in '71 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:45 AM
uncaman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing distributor in '71 460

I'm wanting to get rid of the points with a breaker-less electronic distributor for my '71 460. Everybody makes one (Mallory, MSD, Accell), so finding a distributor isn't going to be difficult; but I would like to find someone that has done it with good results. Most of them have vacuum advance plus adjustable mechanical advance. I don't understand the need for both, so maybe someone can also clarify that for me.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:06 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you have the vacuum units and the mechanical units. The mechanical units use no vacuum actuation but the vacuum units still use mechanical actuation. Stay away from the full mechnaical units unless you want maximum performance and don't care about optimal gas mileage. I run both kinds.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM
scroob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mechanical advance is strictly based on engine RPM. The vacuum advance gives you an increased advance when you step on the gas. You need both of them on a street engine. Plug off your vacuum advance and note the difference when you accelerate.

The quickest and easiest way to get rid of the points is to install a Pertronix Ignitor. Goes in the stock dizzy where the points were. No need to change anything else, and is easily restored.

Another way is to find a donor car with electronic and remove all the related parts. This includes the dizzy, wiring, and firewall mounted black box.