1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Disable A4wd on 2001 Expedition 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:02 PM
FarmLaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sevv,

One shouldn't notice a difference in mileage; the A4wd doesn't kick in unless there is wheelspin. As far as acceleration goes, the A4wd would kick in if you stomped on it hard enough to break the rear wheels loose...so disabling it could marginally affect full throttle acceleration simply by giving the vehicle more traction and more drivetrain drag, but it's doubtful that you'd really notice it without a dragstrip measuring your times.

Matt,

I'm thinking about the same thing. I wonder what the GEM does when it senses no change from 'engaging' the A4wd clutches and a slipping condition persists. I was hoping for more 'factory' and less 'ad hoc' solution, such as a switch replacement. I think I'm going to sit back for a while and see what sucktin and others report in a few months. I can't think of any problems that could be caused (except for maybe...maybe a check engine light?), but I'd rather wait and see, myself.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
sevv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FarmLaw,

Thanks for the reply and info. Since we have only had it a week, I can be patient and wait as well.

Sevv

Old 02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by FarmLaw
I'm thinking about the same thing. I wonder what the GEM does when it senses no change from 'engaging' the A4wd clutches and a slipping condition persists. I was hoping for more 'factory' and less 'ad hoc' solution, such as a switch replacement. I think I'm going to sit back for a while and see what sucktin and others report in a few months. I can't think of any problems that could be caused (except for maybe...maybe a check engine light?), but I'd rather wait and see, myself.
I'm thinking that I'm just being paranoid

I'm guessing that when the LSD kicks in, the sensor in the rear diff will send the signal up front, but the only difference is that the clutch won't do anything. So the sensor will just keep sending the signal telling the clutch to speed up the front wheels. Seeing as how a standard AWD slip situation only lasts for a few seconds, I don't think there's too much danger.

I haven't looked at the back of the 4WD switch yet, but do you think it would be possible to rig up the AWD setting to be the 2HI? That way, you don't have to flick the other little switch before going into 4WD, just turning the **** to AWD will disconnect that fuse so it's actually 2HI.

This could be cool...

XXL

Old 02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
sucktin
Junior User
There's another thread on here with a similar topic title and one guy has had his going for months now. Same rig as mine. I am convinced that the only way to get the legit 2WD (like the old Expy's) is to get a different GEM.
I am going to do some asking around here and see if I can get a better technical description of how all these tie together.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:22 PM
BigMan69
Senior User
Hey Sucktin, Can you give us a somewhat detailed description of exactly what you rigged up and how you did it???

BigMan69

Old 02-19-2004, 03:59 PM
sucktin
Junior User
Check out my gallery. I put some photos up there along with a description of how I did it. It was very easy. If/when I sell the vehicle or take it in for service and don't want to get hassled, I will put the fuse back in the main fuse box and it's back to normal.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
myblkexpy
Junior User
sucktin, Sounds like you've got this one licked. To clarify, you're jumping from one side of the fuse socket to the other. You didn't cut any wires. Correct?

Come spring I'm going to give this a try. We still have another month of snow.

Thanks!!

Old 02-19-2004, 09:24 PM
sucktin
Junior User
I jumped from one side of the fuse socket to the + side of the switch, and from the - side of the switch to the other side of the fuse socket. The only wires I cut were the ones bought and had to trim to length to the switch...you're correct...no surgery. Still plenty of snow here in MI (even though the balmy 40 degree weather has melted a lot of it).

myblkexpy...this is for you...

So these 2 guys from Michigan are driving thru Wisconsin and they stop at a Burger King drive-thru window in Oconomowoc and have argued since the freeway about the pronunciation of the town they are in. They get to the window and ask the blonde girl, "...we have a bet on the pronunciation of this place...please say it VERY slowly."

The blonde answers...

"burrrrrrrrrr-gerrrrrrrrrrr-kiiiiiiiiiing"

Old 02-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Voksboy
Junior User
1999 Expedition XLT A4WD also uses the same fuse? 104? Is that correct?

So if I yank it out I'll have a 2 wheel drive.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2004, 09:28 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Originally posted by Voksboy
1999 Expedition XLT A4WD also uses the same fuse? 104? Is that correct?

So if I yank it out I'll have a 2 wheel drive.

Thanks
So it seems.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:58 PM
myblkexpy
Junior User
myblkexpy...this is for you...

So these 2 guys from Michigan are driving thru Wisconsin and they stop at a Burger King drive-thru window in Oconomowoc and have argued since the freeway about the pronunciation of the town they are in. They get to the window and ask the blonde girl, "...we have a bet on the pronunciation of this place...please say it VERY slowly."

The blonde answers...

"burrrrrrrrrr-gerrrrrrrrrrr-kiiiiiiiiiing" [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks suckin!!!! Love it.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:06 PM
myblkexpy
Junior User
Since we’re bridging a 30-amp circuit, do you think it would be better to install a relay? That way you can get by with a lighter gage wire and switch.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Voksboy
Junior User
I took the fuse out yesterday and just like that I have a 2wd truck. But I can't really tell the diff. A small diff in power but not much. Gas? It will be great to play around with in the dirt that's for sure.

For the people who did this mod, what changes did you notice?

Old 03-24-2004, 05:48 PM
ExpoBoi99
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I have taken the 104 switch out on my expo and I am 2wheeling just fine. By disabling this option will this cause any future problems with the drivetrain, I am suspecting not. I plan to wire a switch if this method is consider "safe". It has solved a problem that I have been having with my 4 wheel drive. My truck feels like soemthing is slipping back when step on the gas from a completel stop. But taking the fuse out has stopped the problem on my truck. Hopefully this method is safe.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:23 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
It's safe, and will cause no damage to your truck.

Quick Reply: Disable A4wd on 2001 Expedition 4x4?