1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
fepo2003...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Bedasi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking You can do it...

I didn't even know how to pronounce "soldering" iron when I tried it. But for $6 to get the iron and solder, it was well worth it. Unscrew about 15 screws on the dash, 8 on the instrument panel itself, and you're done. Don't be afraid...this site can save you a ton of $$ and make you proud of youself each time you get in the truck!
Good luck!

Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 PM
cnajp
Junior User
I own a 1992 Ford Aerostar with a fully digital cluster, and I am having problems with having to reset the car by removing the battery to keep my guages fully working. If I don't do that, then the dash will blackout for a second, then when it comes back on, things look like they have went crazy. The speedometer and all other guages quit working, and the odometer reads error. Could a cold solder have anything to do with it? I took the cluster out and used a spray air cleaner and cleaned all of the wiring and pins, but, still have the same problem. I was told that it could be an in-dash voltage regulator, but, with many inquiries, I have never heard anyone speak of such a part.....

Oh well, maybe one of these days I can get it all fixed

-J-

Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 PM
loggerone
New User
Talking Alternative Speedometer / Odometer cure . . . . .

Back in January I bought a really sharp 97 F-150 large cab PU w/4.6 for $955. It was a company vehicle w/162k and a perfect body. The catch was that the tranny was going out and it had bad brakes. We limped it home . . .

After replacing the tranny with a 46k salvage yard box ($550 and 6 hours of sweat), and a 2 hour brake job, I had a pretty nice truck - or so I thought. While taking the tranny core back to the salvage yard, the speedo dies - I ask if I can take the old sending unit, and he says "yep".

I change the speedo drive and have no luck, then start trouble shooting the pulses - not easy. I then read your speedo repair article that night.

While driving to work the next morning, I slammed my fist down on the dash avove the speedometer -HARD!!!. The speedo starts working and has not quit again in 3500 miles.

I will take luck over brains anyday . . . .

Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
jmolter
New User
does anyone have this problem i have with my Aerostar 89? The digital dash lights are fine illuminated in the day but when i turn on my running lights at night i get a black out. I understand there is 2 circuits day and night could this be in my switch??????please any help will be appreciated. Great job on the removal pics.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:08 AM
dkoenig
Senior User
Fixed

I too took the plunge and pulled the Dash and my friend and I corrected the solder joint.

The only heart attack we had is when we reassebled everything the Truck (2000 EB Expedition) would not start. It would crank and crank, but not start. Pulled the dash again, and I believe the White ended cable (there is a white one and a black one on the back of the module) was not plugged all the way in, it came back off without me having to pinch the release clip. Once I secured all connections, everything worked just fine.

Thanks again to all

Don Koenig
Austin, TX

Old 07-02-2005, 08:42 PM
b2747
Senior User
Ok Guys
Here is a good one.
Decided to fix my blackout but took the board to a electronic shop to have bad joint soldered. Well guess what, (They fryed my board) Located a cluster from a junk yard, Every thing works no blackout but when I installed in my truck NO START. Same year and model. I now know I have to clear the PATS, Can anybody tell me how to do that?
I really need help here.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You will have to have the dealer do a perameter reset and possibly reprogram the keys.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 PM
rpalm
New User
New cluster with clear PATS on eBay

To B2747:

There is a 1999-2002 Expedition instrument cluster with clear PATS for sale on eBay for $180 + $15 shipping. I was about to buy it for my '99 Expedition EB but I don't need it now that I know how to fix the odometer problem.

The auction ends July 9, 2005. I inquired about the item and whether the seller is a Ford dealer. Here is the reply I received:

"No, I am not a ford dealer. If I was I would charge you twice what I am asking for the cluster. You just need to have Two ignition keys that currently start your truck to do a simple procedure after you install cluster. Takes only a couple minutes and instructions are included. Mileage isn't a problem I just need to know the mileage before I would ship it out. I really have no need for the used cluster but if it is fixable I might be able to refund you a little. Thanks, Aaron"

Old 07-03-2005, 06:34 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Rpalm...Welcome to FTE

Old 07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
1liter
New User
Hi, Do you have any idea how to remove odometer from 2000 Expedition without breaking the panel?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2005, 09:26 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
1Liter,

If you are asking how to get to the solder connections, you must carefully separate the mother board form the gauges. If you are talking about removing the odometer from the board, it is soldered on.

Add some more specifics and I'll try to help you out.

Tim

Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
fitch
New User
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself.
-Another Satisfied Customer

Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
quick35th
Senior User
Mine does this every now and then when you first start driving it but after that it does not do it anymore. My friends '99 GT mustang does it alot. I am going to fix his car and mine after it starts to anoy me.

Shane

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
qdude79
Freshman User
Question

Hey All-

New to the board, have a '99 F150 with this problem, going to use this info. to fix it.

Question: would it behoove me to do solder "touch ups" on the other points so as to avoid them eventually losing contact as well?

Thanks,
qdude

Quick Reply: Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!