Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Junior User

Spooky is starting off with a positive reputation.
what is a good way to clean an old kerosene torpedo heater

what should I put in the tank to help clean it out, it has been sitting for about 5 years and i dont think that just running it has'nt cleaned it out very well becuse I usually have to choke it and if I use the thermostat when it starts back up again it will blow out a big cloud of smoke. this is a 600,000 btu industrial heater that was used to preheat diesel engine on big rigs up in alaska. so when I say a big cloud of smoke I mean a BIG cloud of smoke. and where would a guy be able to get a replacement igniter for one of those, it looks like a spark plug with a very long electrode, it is made by champion and has #s on it still, do you think napa might be able to get one? thanx guys
Old 01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Posting Guru

otto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes napa can get one, take it with you, might need a new igniter coil too, I imagine it just uses an oil burner transformer as the ignitor coil, pretty simple, possobile kerosene or gas to flush the tank, and then burn kerosene in it ?

That 600k sounds huge, how big is the cone on the front of it ? how long is it ? does it hold like 20 gallons of fuel, cause i sure know it will burn 20 gallons quick, need to haul it up to the station to fill it

I hear you on those smoke cloud bursts, my 40k and 60k dont do it, I buy clean kerosene too.........you heating a 50' x 50' pole barn with it ?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Senior User

72f250CS is starting off with a positive reputation.
We have two 40k at work and we usualy use diesel in them. Never any smoking, except when they run out. I could only imagine how fast yours would heat up our shop.

No man stands as tall,
as when he bends to help a child.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Junior User

plourde2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
that heater will hold about 35 gallons of K-1 and burns something like 8 gallons an hour....if i remember right....careful working on it...it's a high pressure unit...100 PSI in the fuel lines...I never thought about checking napa for a plug...i suppose it is just a special champion. As long as it's firing, the plug or coil shouldn't be the problem, though....Probably the nozzle or a blockage somewhere. Are you running kerosene or diesel? Diesel will work , but may produce smoke and more fumes, especially in a badly tuned unit...check out www.desa.com it might help locate a parts dealer or something...

One day when I'm dependently wealthy she'll be supercharged.....HAH!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Posting Guru

bob arrington is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
its been my experience that the fuel nozzle needs to be cleaned the most , i use a opened up paper clip to push the crud out, bob
Old 02-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Posting Guru

Aftrmidnite is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You absolutely do not want to use Gasoline to clean out your Kerosene heater, you could have an explosion. Also you don't want to push anything thru the nozzle hole, as you will change its shape and size (Spray pattern and the amount of fuel used) You can purchase new nozzles at a Heating/AC supply company. Check the Model Number label for the correct nozzle size and spray pattern, or remove the nozzle and take it with you. Most modern nozzles are not cleanable, and should be replaced every couple of years, if one drop of water goes thru a nozzle the size and shape can be altered. Check with the heating supplier for an additive to clean the tank or clean it with the recommended fuel for the unit and dispose of it with your waste oil. Keep the tank full to prevent condensation, during the summer you may want to empty the tank and rubber band a couple layers of an old sheet over the fuel fill.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Posting Guru

bob arrington is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
i do mine every year or so , i also do my in house toyo the same way , per the toyo repair man,bob
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
accessories, blowing, champion, heater, heaters, igniter, ignitor, kerosene, motor, oil, parts, shop, smoke, thermostat, torpedo, waste