Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Is GM Deaf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi Ho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is GM Deaf?

Seriously, Every GM interior I have seen has been of very low quality and put together very poorly. All of the reviews I have read back this up. The new Malibu for example. While improved, it still looks and feels cheap. Edmunds.com says the same thing. The long term tests from Edmunds back up my observation that GM vehicles aren't put together well. The GMC Sierra they tested had multiple problems such as windows falling into the doors, door panels coming off, and transmission leaking among other things. Read some long term tests on Cadalacs, Oldsmobiles, and Saturns. They all have multiple build quality problems. Some serious. I was at the Seattle Auto Show looking at a Cadalac Escalade and I could literally see through the door. The door handles looked like they were painted with fake chrome paint and they were very flimsy. I was in a TrailBlazer and the door handle actually fell off when I went to open the door. I have a friend who has a Comaro and he can't use the climate controls because they snapped off. WHY can't GM up the quality of there interiors??! Are they really that blind? From what I have read, the new Corvette interior is improved but still way below what it should be for $50,000. I just don't get it. Is it reall that hard to have better quality control or is it all profit profit profit and nothing else? I certainly wouldn't buy a GM product with the interiors the way they are now. Especially as a work truck. It would not hold up at all.

Last edited by Hi Ho; 01-13-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:38 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Yes. Rememeber all the sagging head liners in the 80 model Pontiacs, Buicks, Olds, etc.?

Old 01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
otto
Posting Guru
hi ho I just dont see it, admittedly I havent been in any malibus, i have no interest in 4 door econmy cars, my grandma has a new impala and riding it is like riding in a tank it is seems less and smooth, same as my moms buick, very quiet ride low outside and road noise, no interior squeks and well laid out dashboards

My brother and I have older gm w bodies and they have held up pretty well his has 175k on it and i have 96k on mine, I also have a S-10 and for a small truck the interior isnt bad, IMHO

I love fords keyless entry touchpads but the fob is just as good I guess, remember 3.8's blowing headgaskets

Old 01-13-2004, 10:57 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, GM's interiors are just as you describe. I think they're getting better. Look at some of the new models, like the GP. It's way better than my 97.
At least Ford listened on that note. My 93 F150 squeaks worse than any car I've ever owned. The new F 150 surely has to be beter than that.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Hi Ho
Senior User
Originally posted by fonefiddy
At least Ford listened on that note. My 93 F150 squeaks worse than any car I've ever owned. The new F 150 surely has to be beter than that.
And it is. Trust me. I checked it out thouroly. There is not a loose or cheaplooking thing in the interior of the new F-150.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:55 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only GM brand i put any confidence in is Isuzu. And they are soon getting ready to break off (2005 they are buying back the last 12% from GM and dumping the entire product line as a slap in the face to GM ). I can kinda see what you mean as far as little things going wrong, Alot of the little stuff (A/C switches ect) just fall off. My 80 isuzu pick up has nothing like that, heater controlls are metal plates, same whith my 82 f-150 and my 90 trooper

Old 01-14-2004, 11:41 AM
trucksforever
Senior User
too me the new Chevy trucks interiors still look like they did in 95! and they're still piles of crap!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:22 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Funny this post should come up. My mom and I went on a test drive for a 2004 Caddy Escalade, and let me tell you this: NOTHING about that SUV impressed me, except the moonroof. I mean, come on, for a 50K + SUV, it should have more in it than some yuppie moonroof and some on-star system. I was verry dissapointed. True, this SUV puts out 300 some odd HP, but the interior is cheap. Damn thing even sounded like my neighbors Trialblazer. Oh well, we'll never own an Escalade. We even test drove the excursion, she didn't like the "ride" lol. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess. She seemed to like the EXT, or whatever the smaller version of the Escalade is. That day we test drove the Escalade, EXT, and the Benz S500. That car blew us out of the water. Some features on that car I've never even seen before. (Mirrors fold in at the push a button, headrests fold in as well, when you turn the car off, the heater still remains on for 30 minutes to keep the car warm, etc)
Hell, I'd rather take ANY Ford truck anyday over that Caddy.
Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by mbnv992; 01-14-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Cirdan49
Junior User
I agree with most of you guys on the low quality GM interiors. They've always seemed a little cheap looking and the seats themselves are very stiff IMO. Also a father of a friend of mine has complained constantly about little interior problems. ***** falling off and even the heater **** being stuck on "cold" all the time. Anyone have any ideas if recalls were put on this?

What about the new F-150 though? Any of you guys try those out? The front seats seemed very very stiff. Almost seemed like riding on a box. Could it just be because it was straight off of assembly? Some of the little storage compartments seemed to have trouble closing. They'd seem to close but then rattle and you'd have to push on them to snap in again. Any help on these too?

Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Cirdan49
Junior User
Forgot to put my friend's dad's truck is a 02 Silverado LS.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Carolinaoutdoorsman
New User
Ive got a 04 STX 4 Wheel drive and a friend of mine has a Chevy 4 wheel drive, he likes mine so much, that he is thinking about going to Ford!!! Quietest, smoothest truck on the road!!! If you dont believe it, go test drive one, and Im not talking about the STX, Im talking about any F-150!! Theres no better riding 4-Wheel drive truck built!!!

Old 01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
trucksforever
Senior User
Originally posted by Carolinaoutdoorsman
Ive got a 04 STX 4 Wheel drive and a friend of mine has a Chevy 4 wheel drive, he likes mine so much, that he is thinking about going to Ford!!! Quietest, smoothest truck on the road!!! If you dont believe it, go test drive one, and Im not talking about the STX, Im talking about any F-150!! Theres no better riding 4-Wheel drive truck built!!!

AMEN!

Old 01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Gottal tell you

Originally posted by mbnv992
Funny this post should come up. My mom and I went on a test drive for a 2004 Caddy Escalade, and let me tell you this: NOTHING about that SUV impressed me, except the moonroof. I mean, come on, for a 50K + SUV, it should have more in it than some yuppie moonroof and some on-star system. I was verry dissapointed. True, this SUV puts out 300 some odd HP, but the interior is cheap. Damn thing even sounded like my neighbors Trialblazer. Oh well, we'll never own an Escalade. We even test drove the excursion, she didn't like the "ride" lol. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess. She seemed to like the EXT, or whatever the smaller version of the Escalade is. That day we test drove the Escalade, EXT, and the Benz S500. That car blew us out of the water. Some features on that car I've never even seen before. (Mirrors fold in at the push a button, headrests fold in as well, when you turn the car off, the heater still remains on for 30 minutes to keep the car warm, etc)
Hell, I'd rather take ANY Ford truck anyday over that Caddy.
Just my .02 cents.
I drive an Excursion, and the price of these things are not justified at all either. The leather is cheap, the door locks fail on a regular basis, the interior lights fall out, the stereo bites, the seat heaters are the worst in the business. if I didnt actually need the dang thing for 4 wheel drive and size Id look elsewhere.

Ron

00 Excursion Limited 4x4 V-10

Old 01-15-2004, 12:16 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ya got that right on the seat heaters

Old 01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
otto
Posting Guru
380 hp out of the N/A 6.0 liter, thats lightning type power, the truck is heavy and IMHO the ext comes in one of the prettiest shades of blue I have ever seen on Detroit iron

I love the Trailblazers and Envoys too, the Envoy with the nice chrome grill looks real good, I also like the Impala styling , 60% of the cops here drive the Imps, The GTO looks kinda plain but it only adds to its true sleeper look, The 05 Stang looks hot

Quick Reply: Is GM Deaf?