2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford DVD or Aftermarket DVD.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:40 AM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford DVD or Aftermarket DVD.

Which one should I go with. I think ford want's $1400.00 for theres. Can you get an aftermarket cheaper?

Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
there are other aftermarket DVD's available. Audiovox has a lot of good pruducts.

I talked to a few installers and the going rate is about $900 or so installed.

the aftermarket products will require an FM modulator to play the sound through the radio. and there are non that connect to the rail, jsut headrest applications

the Ford Rail DVD uses the ford CAN buss to communicate with the radio directly through the aux line level input. It is currently the only product that uses the Aux input, but aftermarket companies are coming out with a harness soon for the CAN buss

The Ford Rail DVD also has a few features like:
tuning radio from rear seat with dvd controls
headphones for rear to listen to dvd while front listens to radio
Aux inputs on DVD ( to play another device through radio Aux input)

just stating the facts as my company (Johnson Controls) makes this DVD and the overhead rail system.
I don't gain anything by a sale, I am an engineer in Product development. just informing you.

the one catch with the rail DVD player is you need to order it with the truck. otherwise there will be no wire harness available to connect one after the fact. Ford is releasing the harness for after vehicle build installs of DVD's in model year 05.

any more Q's, let me know or see my other posts about other products for the rail.

Ramb

Old 01-05-2004, 12:43 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
I suggest you order it with the vehicle. The options mentioned are very handy. We have 3 kids and have a DVD in our 03 Expedition. I would not have another vehicle without one.

It makes 12-14 hours trips a breeze.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:29 PM
TUDA OBX
New User
Hey Ramb!
Thanks for the info. Just got my Supercrew 2 weeks ago. Everything I wanted except DVD. I have a 3 yr old and he thinks the overhead storage compartment is a DVD player! I think I need to do something pretty soon. Was planning on trying to get
the Ford rail DVD system from the dealer when it became available, but it sounds like it may be awhile before that happens. Any other info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
TUDA
no one else is currently licenced to put a DVD on our rail.
the current aftermarket solution is the headrest screen versions.

we have been pushing ford to make the wire harness available now, but they have not processed the change yet. my only solution for the rail product is to get it once the wire harness for the dvd comes out.

when i find out more info on wire harness availability i will surely be posting here. but as i said above, that is the latest info and date.